Votes: 49 54.4%
  • Pool at my kid(s) high school

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • No Pool at my kid(s) high school

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • Other (just because)

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
My HS is on the National Register of Historic Places, yet it had one of the first indoor HS pools in the country. (It is not regulation size, however, as I don't think there WAS a regulation size when it was built as the concept of indoor pools was so new.

My Jr. HS (newer building) also had an indoor pool that was Olympic sized, so the HS swim team practiced and held their home meets there. (Only a few blocks apart, so kids walked over after school to practice.)

We had to take swimming once/week in 7 th, 8 th, and 9th grades. It totally sucked! (All the hair, makeup, changing in front of people, teen angst, etc.). It was a big deal in 10th grade when we only needed to take gym and not look like a drowned rat one day a week. It REALLY was bad when gym was first period of the day! Interestingly enough, the community used the school's pools. I took swimming lessons and went to "open swim" at both schools at various times before I was ever old enough to be a Jr. Or Sr. HS student.

My kids' HS does have a pool and it is used for class and school teams. It is also used for community swim lessons during the winter. We have two outdoor community pools, but not an indoor one so lessons are outside in summer.

At my kids' school, all Freshmen need to swim. (I'm not sure if it is a unit or once a week/semester.). My kids didn't want to do that, (see above reasons) so they took gym during Summer School in a neighboring district that doesn't have a pool! (They can swim, took lessons for years, just didn't want to in the middle of the day for a grade.)

My school didn't, but we had a HS swim team that used a local municipal pool. That pool also had a youth club team based at the pool. We also didn't have baseball games on campus, but at a local park that had a bigger field. On campus the practice field was used by the baseball team, but only suitable for softball.

There was one school in our district that had a pool, but I think that it got closed for cost reasons. I believe it was in bad shape and the cost to replace it was prohibitive. Schools in neighboring districts had pools. Some were on campus, while I think one was technically off-campus, but a city-owned pool right next to the school.

I voted OTHER.
All the public High Schools in my area were built with pools. Many, including mine, filled them in when they needed expensive repairs, usually when they got to be 35 or 40 years old.
My kids high school did not have a pool.

My high school didn't have one. We did have a public outdoor pool across the street only open in the summer. Our Y had skating rinks indoor and outdoor but no pool. My elementary school also had a skating rink in the winter.

My kids high school has a swimming pool and swim team. The local y's have pools and swim teams for k-8. The charter school also has a swimming pool. High school requires 3 semesters of gym. There is some sort of swim rotation within gym class and if you can't swim one day your required to make it up another day to pass gym. My daughter never figured it out but she had swimming 3 weeks one semester, two weeks one semester and only 1 week the 3rd semester. Some kids like swimming but many complain about.it. You can say you can't swim during swim week but you have to make up the days another week. My daughter lucked out one week which was Thanksgiving week and only ended up having swim one day.

My HS had no pool, but we did have an elevator because we had two floors and the joke on Sophmores (10-12 grades at my HS) was the elevator would take you to the pool on the roof. Neither of my boys (31 and 33 yrs old) HS had a pool either. None of our local HS have pools.

My HS did not have a pool but one of the two Jr HS had one and it was right next door.

It held practice, and I am sure it still does for the swim team.

It was open in the winter at times for free swimming-there were 2 outdoor pools open in the summer for swimming.

In HS we had to walk over for swim lessons-I remember them making us tread water. I had a pool growing up so I knew how to do that.

My DH did not have a pool and when I met him I recall asking him if the HS had a pool and how many town pools there were. He laughed! I came from a larger town of around 25000 and he came from a town of 4000. We live in the next town from where he grew up and there is no pool...the middle and HS all share with in 3 towns.

We also had a planetarium in the school with the pool. Those were the best field trips in elementary school. The teacher of the planetarium, Mr. Prosect, had an accent and would say "tousands and tousands of Staars" every time we went and would point with his red pointer.

I think, no I know I was very fortunate where I grew up to have all the thing I had.

My high school had a pool but what freaks most people out: We were required to swim naked. This was early 70s and I have no clue why that was the case. Seems like it might have had something to do with storing wet swim trunks...but then the girls didn't have to swim naked, just the guys. So what did the girls do with their wet swimsuits?:scratchin When I talked to some people who went to the same school a couple of years after me I ask and they say they wore suits, so it must have changed shortly after I graduated.

what??? Geez was Jerry Sandusky your swimming coach??

I grew up in central PA and my high school was pretty big (my graduating class was just shy of 1000). We had a swimming pool (indoor), planetarium, football field/track, tennis courts and a separate practice field/track. We also had a pretty big gym (basketball and football were very popular sports). Back then, I assumed all high schools were like that but now I realize how fortunate I was!

Joking aside, it wasn't particularly uncommon for boys' swimming classes to require the boys to swim in the buff, back in the day. I have no idea why (probably storing wet swimwear), but more than one older fellow has told me that was the case when they were in high school.

Joking aside, it wasn't particularly uncommon for boys' swimming classes to require the boys to swim in the buff, back in the day. I have no idea why (probably storing wet swimwear), but more than one older fellow has told me that was the case when they were in high school.
I'll summarize my previous note, and say it's because no one could think of a reason why they should wear suits, especially since being nude in showers, particularly in the military, was expected of young men.

It was the norm at many YMCAs, too.

My HS didn't have a swimming pool per se. But right next door was the town's recreation center which had one. We had swimming for P.E. one or two weeks in each of the four marking periods.

My high school had a pool but what freaks most people out: We were required to swim naked. This was early 70s and I have no clue why that was the case. Seems like it might have had something to do with storing wet swim trunks...but then the girls didn't have to swim naked, just the guys. So what did the girls do with their wet swimsuits?:scratchin When I talked to some people who went to the same school a couple of years after me I ask and they say they wore suits, so it must have changed shortly after I graduated.

My HS provided the guys with ill-fitting speedo type suits with the school's logo on them, the same that the swim team wore. This was in the mid 1970's. We kept them for the week or two then turned them in to be worn by others. This was mandatory. There was no other option. I think I'd rather have swam naked than wear those things.

If you do a google search, you'll find some photos from way back in the day. There were team photos with girls in swimsuits standing right next to stark naked guys.

I don't doubt there were Jerry Sandusky types back then, but it many areas it was considered the norm for men and boys to swim naked. Such was the case at the YMCA my father, brother, and I attended. Nobody gave it a second thought after your first or second time. Most men of a certain age are quite comfortable being naked around other men.

Grew up south of Pittsburgh. My high school had a pool and a diving pool under the gym. One of my classmates was state champion swimmer. There was a rumor that there was a shooting range underneath the pool. Don't know if it was true. If there was, it wasn't used by the time I got there.

it was considered the norm for men and boys to swim naked. Such was the case at the YMCA my father, brother, and I attended. Nobody gave it a second thought

Well we were showering together and getting changed in the locker room together, so what's the diff?

NOLA 'burbs in the late '70s-Not only did my HS not have a pool, we had no air conditioning!

The kids attended two different high schools in Baton Rouge in the early '00s and neither had pools.

No, at my.high school.

My kids aren't high school age yet, but the middle school has one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter