Sailing solo

BelleMom

DisCon cosmic commando
Solo cruising: a trip report

The cast:
Me: 40, journalist, divorced, 3 kids.

Background info
I have been travelling on my own since I was 16 and went to the US for the first time. Years later, when I graduated in college, I decided that after working my way through graduation, I really deserved some off time before tackling the realities of job search. I went to Europe with a backpack, a train pass, and some hundred dollars, planning to spend 3 months. I ended up staying for a full year. After that, I got married but hubby never was too interested in travelling. I went by myself to Greece, Yuguslavia, North of Africa, Argentine, Uruguay and Peru. After kids, I stopped for a while, but resumed my solo trips with divorce. Once a year, the kids stay a full month with dad. That’s when I take off.

Why cruising solo?
I took my first Disney cruise with DD in 2000. Belle was six. We had spent some fun filled days in WDW and then took a three day cruise aboard the Wonder. Much to my surprise, Belle enjoyed the activities at Oceaneers Club even though she didn’t speak English at all. That afforded me some precious time on my own, at the adults’ pool, at the spa, and even a bit of the clubs. I realized that this could be a perfect vacations for a solo traveller, since you can choose to do as much or as little as you want while on the ship. It is true that Disney cruises are more geared to families, but for a solo traveller like myself this is a guarantee of a healthy, safe environment, perfect for relaxation. Three days was too short. I wanted to do the 7 day cruise> But having decided to attend DisCon, the 4 day option was the most convenient.
As I started to plan my trip, I made a long list with things I wanted to do this time: visit Nassau, more spa treatments, join the club nights, see the sunrise each day, jog, do my workout routine at the gym, dine at Palo’s… Soon my list was so long, that I would only be able to do everything if I ruled out sleep.

WonderinCC.jpg

The cruise itself.
I was aboard the Wonder on the 2nd of dec., with stops in Nassau, Freeport and Castaway Cay. Even with enhanced security procedures, my check in was a breeze. I felt a bit worried about leaving my passport with the cruise officials: I wanted to tour Nassau. There was no problem. On the next day, early in the morning I had a copy of my passport under my stateroom door.
My stateroom was 7072, cath 5. I was able to afford the luxury of having my own verandah thanks to the super fall-fantasy fares that Cathy, my DU travel angel provided me. It was cheaper than the cath 8 I had quoted earlier. It made the single supplement much easier to swallow. This is, BTW, the down side of single cruising: you pratically pay the same price two adults would pay.

After I checked the room, I went straight to Wavebands, to book Palo’s. I got TRiton’s on the first night, then Animator’s Palate, Parrot Cay and Triton’s again. As I don’t care too much for Parrot Cay’s menu, I preferred to plan my Palo’s dinner for the third evening. My dinner companions were very agreeable. Two couples on my own age bracket – it was an aniversary trip for them. The third couple, young people from California, were on a very special trip too: the young man proposed at Palo’s on the last evening.
I confess that I was very much interested in joining the “singles mingle” event at 10pm. But I was exhausted from DisCon. I dropped in my stateroom around 10pm like a dead thing and didn’t budge till sunrise. I woke up as the ship approached Nassau. It was beautiful. I walked furiously around deck 4 for an hour and then went to have breakfast at Triton’s: yummy eggs benedictine.
My Discover Atlantis tour left around 11am. We had some rain on the way to Paradise Island, but then the weather got brighter. I loved to wander around the aquarium and then take a look at the posh shops at the resort. Strolling around the white sand beach, I rediscovered the incredible turquoise waters of the Bahamas sea. It is as blue as we see in the ads.
56249778203_0_ALB.jpg

Got back to the ship around 4, grabbed a wrap at deck 9, showered and went to the movies. As I finished Princess Diaries and headed for dinner at Animator’s Palate, I felt like jumping around and yelling: “This is the vacation of a lifetime! This cannot possibly get better!!”. Later, I joined the party at deck 9 and danced till midnight.
I tried to sleep in on day 3, but was up and bright around 8. Freeport harbor looked dismal. I didn’t feel like leaving the ship at all. So I just got myself a Rainforest Pass at the spa, to be able to get in and out of the steam rooms, saunas, aromatic showers, etc. For US$ 15, I consider it a wonderful buy. I spent most of the day like a lizzard in the sun, did my jogging on the treadmill, watched Monsters Inc.
But this was my Palo’s night! I dressed up and arrived there at 8’oclock sharp. For a moment I thought, “hmm, I am going to feel weird here! This is so romantic! Lots of couples.” Soon, I was completely at ease. There were lots of couples, but also many groups. My server, Illana, went out of her way to make me feel comfortable. She had been my server on my other Disney cruise and still remembered my daughter’s name! We talked in Portuguese, Spanish and English. I had an incredible Portobello mushroom on polenta, which is probably one of the best thing I’ve eaten this year. Then, I followed Illana’s sugestion and had the sea bass with sea food risotto parfumed with saffron. It was the same risotto I had tasted in a demonstration earlier during the cruise. To crown the perfect meal, I tried the signature dessert: chocolate soufflé. It is a treat for chocolate lovers. When brought to the table, the waitress opens a small cavity in the center and fills it with chocolate and vanilla sauce. I wish I could have one right now!
It was a good thing I had decided to wake up early on Castaway Cay day. I was one of the first passangers to get out. I found the island still quite and headed to the Serenity Bay, the adult’s beach. The sun was shining, the water was crystal clear. I got myself a chair and found some Disers to chat. Everything seemed perfect, but around 10:30am, weird clouds approached. The wind started. We decided to go back to family beach. Living in a tropical climate, I could easily read rain. Soon we had a strong shower. Rain came and went for the rest of the day. But I had time to enjoy the beauty of the island. When I came with Belle, in 2000, we also had so and so weather. I didn’t get to explore much of the island. This time was different. What didn’t change was my feeling that the barbecue they offer is not really very exciting. Next time, I think I am going back to the ship to lunch at Parrot Cay buffet. At 4 o’clock I had a relaxing ocean wrap at the spa.
I wanted to join the farewell party at Wavebands, but had to wake up at 6 for imigration. Also, the ship started rocking really bad. I don’t usually get sea sick, and didn’t get this time, but was a bit concerned when I saw on TV that sea was “rough”. So I went to bed and tried to sleep while my hangers danced inside the closet.
Debarkation was a piece of cake. Bummers, I left feeling that I could live in that ship.

Conclusions:
In my opinion, Disney cruises are excellent options for first time solo travellers. The other cruisers are generally very open to conversations. Tours provide wonderful chances of meeting nice people too. But what is more important, it is easier to organize your time, because there is so much to do aboard. When you have so much interesting stuff to do, it is harder to feel low for being alone. I really appreciated the times I could listen to my own thoughts and change my plans accordingly. For someone who runs a house with 3 kids, has a full time job and some freelance work to do, this is certainly the ultimate luxury.

BTW, I have booked a new cruise. It was impossible to resist to the special promotions aboard. This time 7 day, Western Itinerary, departure 12/7/2002. I might decide to bring a kid with me. But my initial plans are going solo again.

OK, this is too weird. I, too, am 40 and a journalist, sailing on the four-day Wonder cruise. I'm even in the same cabin, 7072! How strange is that? I'm not going alone, but I WILL be the one single person in the family. So I'm thrilled to read about your trip and that you had a good time!

Talk about coincidences! I hope you have a wonderful time aboard. rloveman.

I was on the same sailing as Livia :) and we did run into each other a few times and got a great chance to chat in person rather than just by e-mail and she is every bit as lovely in person! :)

I just wanted to mention something that Livia requested (as a smart Disney traveller) and that was when she heard about the terrific rates given for rebooking while on the ship, she chose her date and asked me to price it for her so she could compare. I know Ilana from my Oct cruise, she was at the next serving station and then recognized me when our group went to Palo, she is wonderful!!

Thanks for giving us the perspective from a solo traveller, Livia! :)
Cathy

Livia, I loved reading about your cruise. It was so great to finally meet you at DISCON :)

I'm glad you're going to be able to enjoy another cruise in 2002, but it will begin during DISCON?

Katholyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter