Sales/Incentives on "Sold out" Resorts

supercarrie

DIS Veteran
I've recently decided to buy into DVC (direct) and will likely hold out for Poly 2.0 as Riviera and CFW do not interest me, but in my research, have seen occasional incentives for "sold out" resorts. For instance, my guide mentioned there is currently a sale on BLT (it isn't great, though).

How often have strong sales/incentives come through for "sold out" resorts? I heard about an AKL sale last year, for example.

Disney tends to bump up the direct price on sold out resorts, usually well above currently selling resorts, likely to make those currently selling resorts more palatable in comparison, and to dissuade folks from buying points at the sold outs. As @_auroraborealis_ said, incentives are rare, probably for the same reasons.

When they added Big Pine Key, they actually lowered the price of VGF points down in order to put them in line with RRV and AUL.

Disney tends to bump up the direct price on sold out resorts, usually well above currently selling resorts, likely to make those currently selling resorts more palatable in comparison, and to dissuade folks from buying points at the sold outs. As @_auroraborealis_ said, incentives are rare, probably for the same reasons.
Thanks. I thought it was interesting to see the AKL sale last year, so sounds like a one-off type deal since sales were down at that time.

The BLT tower current "flash sale" is more on par with what you've suggested.

As above it's rare for the "on sale" sold-out resorts to actually be worth it. I think the recent Animal Kingdom sale and the BLT one from early 2022 were some of the better ones but still a far cry from what the actively selling resorts go for.

There was also a somewhat good deal on OKW (extended to 2057 by default as it's direct) points last year that wasn't too far off from the solid AKV deal. The thing about the OKW deal that I thought was interesting was the different between member and new member pricing was minimal vs the somewhat more material increase in other offerings/resorts. I sent it to my buddy who is looking into DVC as an option as he would prefer to by direct and only own direct points and it was a good way to jump in direct at a resort with a low point chart.

I've been telling my guide that if they want me to sell off some more ETFs and buy more points I really don't need a firesale on all of those CCV points they bought would interest me but they don't seem to want to do that.

I'm forecasting a strong sale on at least a few things when Poly 2 goes on sale as they will have a lot of inventory to move.

To add on to what's been said already, usually the better incentives that are worth it are for 250-300 points or more. Also, I imagine that some of incentives are as a result of them ROFR'ing too much of it and wanting to offload some of those points. Since there's been ltitle to no ROFRing going on since 2022, indicates to me they're probably fine with the amount of points they're holding. I'm sure there were other factors at play as well such as prioritizing selling out VGF2.

There was also a somewhat good deal on OKW (extended to 2057 by default as it's direct) points last year that wasn't too far off from the solid AKV deal. The thing about the OKW deal that I thought was interesting was the different between member and new member pricing was minimal vs the somewhat more material increase in other offerings/resorts. I sent it to my buddy who is looking into DVC as an option as he would prefer to by direct and only own direct points and it was a good way to jump in direct at a resort with a low point chart.

I've been telling my guide that if they want me to sell off some more ETFs and buy more points I really don't need a firesale on all of those CCV points they bought would interest me but they don't seem to want to do that.

I'm forecasting a strong sale on at least a few things when Poly 2 goes on sale as they will have a lot of inventory to move.
Here's hoping! Of course Poly 2 is what I'm most interested in. Riviera is beautiful but just not my style, and we have debated Aulani (we live 10 mins from Disneyland) but would prefer a WDW property direct.
To add on to what's been said already, usually the better incentives that are worth it are for 250-300 points or more. Also, I imagine that some of incentives are as a result of them ROFR'ing too much of it and wanting to offload some of those points. Since there's been ltitle to no ROFRing going on since 2022, indicates to me they're probably fine with the amount of points they're holding. I'm sure there were other factors at play as well such as prioritizing selling out VGF2.
Good point. ROFR activity has been so minimal this year. We would be fine going to 250-300 points but prefer to buy at least 150 points direct and do not want Riviera. I'm holding out for Poly 2 for now but know it will be a bit of a wait.

I think we were informed of 2 “flash sales” at DVC events on (two different) Disney cruises last year. One was for AKW and one was for SSR, but we weren’t in the market for either of those resorts so I didn’t pay close attention to details.

Keep watching. Who knows? DVC has been full of surprises in recent years. Hard to predict.

Back when the original VGF sold out and there was a waitlist for direct, I bet nobody expected an expansion within a few year and incentives bringing it under $170pp. I’m hoping Poly2 will do the same after initial sales cool down.

They do have promos - but you just never know.

I think its more unlikely with the larger number of resorts on sale. They need to shift inventory

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter