San Diego in October?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
I just posted a thread asking advice about things to do in LA/Anaheim. My DH will have two conferences in Anaheim back to back at the end of September and now they've added on a third in San Diego. In 2014 we went to SD, and did the Zoo, Safari Park, Seaworld and Legoland so I have some idea where everything is and what to expect. I was just trying to find more information and it looks like there's some kids free thing going on for the whole month. This could be super great since I'll be running around with the kids all day but does it mean that things could be really crowded? It's also the weekend before Columbus Day and that week we will be there so I'm not sure if kids get just the day off, or if it's a fall break week? The last time we went was in August and it was too hot for me, will it be cooler in October? I live near the coast of Monterey and here it's actually warmer in Oct/Nov so I'm not sure if that's true for SD too? This will be the third week of running the kids around so they could be pretty cranky by this point. My son will be 7.5 and my daughter will just have turned 5. If we do the Natural History and science museums in LA should we skip the ones in SD? Anything else that would be fun for younger kids? Thanks!

If this is the third week of vacation for the kids I would take it really easy. If you get to pick where you stay, I'd rent a condo on Mission Bay and let your kids play on the calm beach and at the playground as much as they like. Balboa Park with lots of leisurely free options would be good for a day too. Or other park/beach days. I'd pick just one "big" theme park-type adventure that you are willing to tackle on your own and only add other things if you really feel up to it. I know my kids get really tired of eating out after awhile on vacation so that's another good reason to consider a condo with a kitchen.

The "kids free" month has been going every year that I know of since at least 2008 when we used if the first time. Good that it's not unique, bad that many people now know about it. Most SoCal schools don't get a "fall break" week, but most Arizonans do and come to CA!

October in SD should be pretty pleasant overall.

PHXscuba

Yup, since it sounds like you're going to be running around LA and OC based on your previous posts I would relax in SD! You can "fill in" whatever you didn't get to in LA if you want - the science and history museums are not as good as LA but still fun. I think the science museum is the best on in Balboa Park for small kids, but they would also enjoy just walking/exploring the park. There are a ton of gardens to explore, picnic, get ice cream, ride the train, etc. in Balboa Park. The New Children's Museum downtown is great as well. It should be beautiful weather in mid-October if you stay in SD; if you head up toward the Safari Park it could still be really hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!