San Diego surf lessons

almacdonald

DIS Veteran
They must have seen up coming a mile away and thought "CHA-CHING! Tourists, how can we rip them off?" I'm sure not all places are like this but the surf school we went to definitely left a sour taste in my mouth.

A friend and I planned our trip to San Diego. I got to pick half the activities and she picked half. Well, one of her activities was to take surf lessons. So we did some research on the net and picked what seemed to be a reputable school, after all, there was a guarantee that if you weren't standing by the end of your lesson the next lesson was free! Anyway, we decide to bite the bullet and pay the extra for a semi-private lesson (2 people only.) We ordered our surf lessons online, printed out the recipt and though everything was A-OK. So, we get to the beach and the guy says we have to pay "taxes" now. I'm thinking this is a little fishy but not having the exact breakdown on the receipt, went along with it cause they already had our non-refundable $120!!! We also order the CD package promised to contain "Hundreds of professional phots of your surf experience" for which we were charged $50. So, we go to the beach, get all suited up and slowly 4 more people arrive for our "semi-private" lesson. Whatever, go with the flow. Long story short, surfing lesson sucked, at the end of a very frustrating surf lesson the instructor says to me, "you probably should have had a different type of board, then maybe you could have done better." ARGH!! :furious: So we go to see our pictures and make up the CD, the guy says it will take too long to go through and show us all the pictures and to pick and choose so he'll just put "all of them" on the CD. Well, we saw a couple of pictures of us laying on the surfboards on the beach so we figured they knew what they were doing. When we finally got the chance to look at the CD there were only about 40 pictures of us on the whole CD! And to make matters even more frustrating, those first few pictures we saw and liked weren't even on the CD! We called to try to get some sort of refund on this picture CD cause it was over $1/picture, keep in mind there was no printing done! The owner/manager got all rude with us and said the reason there weren't more pictures was because we weren't any good and that the other people ordered a CD too and that's why there were so many pictures of them. (We had asked the other people in our "semi private" lesson if they had ordered the CD and they said no.) So, in the end, no money back, out $190 for the whole hour of misery. We could have spent a lot of time in Disneyland for that much money. :sad2:

Pacific Surf school = bad

Call the area's better business bureau, at least they will have a record of the complaint.

I can't stand when anyone gets ripped off in my town. Have you talked to anyone in management about your experience and compensation?

Tink33 said:
I can't stand when anyone gets ripped off in my town. Have you talked to anyone in management about your experience and compensation?

We called the company and asked to talk to the manager. We said we feel that we didn't get our money's worth from the $50 CD of pictures (of other people) and we wanted a partial refund, or we would return the CD for a full refund. We also said that we checked our receipt and that we had already paid taxes when we registered online and would like our $10 returned. To make a long story short, he got really rude, said the $10 was a "beach usage tax" and that he couldn't have taken any more pictures of our surfing because we sucked. We called the lifeguards from the city of San Diego and they're supposed to call us back in the next few days. It's just the principle of the matter now.

On the brighter side... The rest of our vacation was awesome! We saw the Dave Matthew's band concert, were there at opening til closing for both SeaWorld and Disneyland, snorkeled in La Jolla cove, saw the Sealions, met some really nice people, stayed at a fantastic hotel, rented a car problem free and overall enjoyed our trip..... That surf school was our only complaint.

Ya know, I would think this could fall under not receiving services paid for and you could contest the charges if you paid for this on a credit card or a debit card with a visa or master card logo.

The beaches are free to use. There is no such thing as a beach tax.

WatchinCaptKangaroo said:
Ya know, I would think this could fall under not receiving services paid for and you could contest the charges if you paid for this on a credit card or a debit card with a visa or master card logo.

The beaches are free to use. There is no such thing as a beach tax.

We paid the original $120 on AMEX, the "beach usage fee" and photo CD were cash only, no receipt. I'm a moron for agreeing to that. I guess we'll call it lesson learned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter