San Diego Zoo or Safari Park

Carly2

Earning My Ears
We're planning a trip to DL in August and thought that we'd take a drive south to see Laguna beach and San Diego. We will be staying in a few different hotels during our trip.

We may not have time to see both the San Diego zoo and the Safari park. Which do you think is best? We have been to several zoos, including Philly and Columbus. Is the safari park a little different than a traditional zoo?

Thanks!

The Safari Park is different in that it has very large natural habitat areas. You can see all non predator animals together in one area. If you don't have time for both, I would recommend the Safari Park. It does involve a lot of walking. Make sure you look at the different "safaris" online before you go. Each one has a separate fee.

If you've been to good traditional zoos, the Safari Park might be a fun change. My youngest loves Cheetahs, so for our last visit we did the Cheetah safari. I felt like it was so worth it and I'd definitely do it again. Another recommendation is to stop for a snack and rest break at The Watering Hole at Kijamii Overlook. It was shady and cool with an amazing view.

In august, the Safari Park will be VERY hot, most likely over 100. Be sure to dress and prepare. There are very few indoor areas so you will be out in the sun and heat.
We live about 10 minutes away and love going there for walks on weekends.

Thanks for the replies! We are definitely leaning toward the safari park. I just hope that we can handle the heat. We usually go to WDW at the end of August but I don't think it gets up to 100. The humidity is usually bad, too.

I prefer the Safari Park too, but in August I might choose the Zoo just because it is so hot. We're used to the heat and can't take it there on the 100+ August days.

There is more to see and do at the Zoo and will fill more of a day. Just outside the Zoo gates are the museums of Balboa park. Inexpensive and very good as well. The Zoo has an excellent double deck bus tour as well as buses to get you around without having to walk so much. Parking is free.

That said, the Safari park is well worth a visit as well. It's a different experience than the Zoo. The Safari tram ride lets you see numerous animals in a more natural environment. Several excellent walking trails with plenty of animals to see. The bird free flight show is good. Parking is $15.

WDW in August is FAR worse than Safari park. WDW is sweltering hot and humid. Safari park is just hot! Best to get there in the morning when its still cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!