San Francisco bus tour?

Hilary

There's always something new to learn!
Can anyone recommend a company to go with, please?

DH and I would like to take a bus tour on our first morning in San Francisco, so any recommendations (for or against!) would be really helpful :)

Just wondering if you've already gone on the trip? Was going to contribute but then saw the date. If you haven't let me know and I'll post my info :surfweb:.

No, we haven't been on our trip yet - we arrive in San Francisco 17 October :)

I would like to know also. Our trip is the end of Sept. I was looking at one that goes to Muir woods. What would you suggest?

Hi, well regarding the SF tour I was going to mention two of the ones I have seen the most in San Francisco. I live about 45 minutes away but I went to school in San Francisco and was there all morning and day about 4 days a week for 3 years, just finished a few months ago. The two tours that I would see everywhere!, are:

http://www.city-sightseeing.us/

and

http://www.buysanfranciscotours.com/tours/san_francisco_cable_car_tour.html

The first one is a double decker bus, and the 2nd one is a Cable car on wheels. I believe they only stay within the main touristy district of San Francisco, I'm sure the website will have a route map. And speaking of maps, also wanted to mention, that it's not really necessary to purchase a map of San Francisco. There are plenty of FREE booklets scattered all throughout the city that have excellent detailed maps of most of San Francisco, even includes street names, touristy points of interest, and bus routes.

The booklets also have lots of coupons, points of interest information, and more information regarding tours to additional places including Yosemite and Muir Woods. The Caltrain train station will have them for sure, but they're also located in newpaper stands, local shops, hotels will probably have them. I've never been to it, but there is a Visitor Information Center on Market Street:

http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/plan_your_trip/vic.asp .

The booklets look like this, and they are on the small side so very portable:

SF_maps.jpg

Here are some of the websites listed on them that may help with information (I have not linked them):

BayCityGuide.com
SFGuide.com
MapWest.com
SFTravelCoupons.com
Pier39.com
Guideyou.com
BlueandGoldfleet.com -- this is pretty fun, will take you under the Golden Gate Bridge

Lots of coupons to be found in the booklets so have a look at them first before you go anywhere. And a few free museum admission days to note if you'll be around:

~The California Academy of Sciences is free the 3rd Wednesday of every month.
~ Asian Art Museum is free the 1st Sunday of every month
~ Legion of Honor is free the 1st Tuesday of every month
~ The Exploratorium is free the 1st Wednesday of every month
~ San Francisco Museum of Modern art (a.k.a. SF MOMA) free the 1st Tuesday of every month

~ Forgot about the De Young museum: First Tuesday of each month is free

and most of these places will offer a senior or student discount, so if you have a student traveling with you (regardless of age) bring along a Student ID.

Have fun!

I've never been to it, but there is a Visitor Information Center on Market Street:

http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/plan_your_trip/vic.asp .

Great synopsis, GGG.

The Visitor Information Center is in the Powell Street BART/Muni station. Basically (if I'm remembering correctly), BART is 3 levels down, Muni is 2 levels down, and the information center is one level down. That "one level down" can be seen from street level, as there's a large opening with pedestrian fencing around (think hotel atrium with walkways around). Basically, if you look, you can see it from the Powell St. plaza where the cable car stops.

-Bob
Who lived a few blocks away for a while, too long ago to admit to.

Oh and, if you are curious about any businesses or services, you can try to look them up on www.yelp.com to see if there are any customer reviews.

The Blue & Gold Fleet cruise tour was fun, I don't really like do stuff like that but my friend wanted to take her 5 year old. Seemed reasonably priced, can't remember how much but it seemed ok for my frugal budget, plus those booklets have discount coupons. Lasted about an hour and travels under the Golden Gate bridge, which was neat!

Then takes you along side Alcatraz which was pretty cool too.

Many thanks for all the information :thumbsup2

I've got some reading and planning to do! ...:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter