Sapphire Falls Round 2 & 1st Time at Mardi Gras ~ Completed

wdwrule

DIS Veteran
Several months back I took a mother/daughter trip to UO and we stayed at Sapphire Falls. We loved the theming and overall atmosphere of SF and to us, it truly felt like a deluxe resort (with a much cheaper price tag). So a week ago, Feb.11-13, we went again and this time hubby was with us too and this would be his first experience with SF. Spoiler alert… he fell in love as well. The room, grounds, staff, service, smell, we just loved it all!

We arrived late on Friday night and was brought in to SF by one of Tony’s drivers. Checked in and got the area of guest house 2 that we requested… lobby level and at the end of the building so we were close to the walking path. It was late at night and we were a tad bit hungry so off we went to trusty Jake’s over at RPR. This has almost become tradition for us. Late arrival then a relaxing but moving on adrenaline walk to Jake’s. The three of us sat up at the bar as we’ve done in the past and ordered their burger from the late night menu. I’ve had several burgers on property but Jake’s is still my #1 favorite burger.648982
It is consistently fresh, thick and very juicy. I order it medium rare and it’s always cooked to perfection. Paired with a Blue Moon and clink: cheers to the start of our mini weekend vacation.

Up next, a fun-filled day including NBC Grill for the first time, catching some beads, and Diana Ross!

After our super late night, we crawled into bed thinking we’d just sleep in a teeny bit and get there around official park opening, not necessarily early park admission. Well the next morning, adrenaline kicked in as usual and we were up and getting ready to walk to IoA. I believe we entered the park around 8:25am. It was about a 10 minute walk from our room to the security checkpoint. We mobile ordered some muffins from Croissant Moon Bakery and headed over to the tables by Green Eggs and Ham to eat then. Tables/seats were wet but we found some dry seats along a wall on the lower deck overlooking the water. Ahhhh peaceful and relaxing way to start off the day!

We thought this sight was so comical… real birds relaxing on some Dr Seuss characters:

After our delicious moist muffins, we hurried over to Velocicoaster and waited about 30 minutes if that, to ride. This is one of our favorites! The acceleration right before the top hat is my favorite part. The first time I rode it, in August, this past was my scariest moment of the ride as it totally took my breath away. Just love it!! We then headed to Forbidden Journey and walked right on using single rider line. Next, we took Hogwarts Express over to Studios. We usually just walk over but it had been awhile since we rode the train and wanted to experience it again. It’s so wonderful! We then used the single rider line for Gringott’s, Men in Black and Transformers which were all walk-ons (or almost walk-on).

We certainly accomplished a lot before lunch without Express during the day on a very busy Saturday. We next headed out to Citywalk and looked through a shop or two before heading in to our lunch reservation at NBC Grill. This was our first time at this restaurant and let’s just say we will definitely be back. Service was great and the food was tasty! We split the huge warm soft pretzel between the three of us and never completely polished it off; came very close though.
I forget the exact dipping sauces but one was a mustard based one (I don’t care for mustard but hubby liked it) and a queso type sauce which was great. I wasn’t going to get a burger because I had just had one at Jake’s the night before but the burger varieties and descriptions just looked so good and with it being a sports bar and all, burger it was.
This is the burger I got with menu description:
Smokehouse Stack* - $17.95
Beef burger, smoked brisket, smoked pork, smoked Gouda, BBQ sauce, caramelized onions, toasted brioche bun
Oh this was so good and filling! Daughter and I split it easily. Jake’s burger however still has the slight edge for taste and quality but almost a tie.

Hubby got the Bang Bang chicken (a Thai dish) and wow this was packed full of flavor!! I’d highly recommend this dish even though the picture doesn’t do it justice.

As we rolled out of NBC Sports Grill, we headed to Studios and went on Spider-Man, Cat in the Hat, and Forbidden Journey. We then ventured back out to Citywalk where hubby and I got our favorite drinks at the side Margaritaville window. We get the ‘Perfect Margarita’ and perfect it is!! Very potent, limey with some salt. We sat and people watched and just relaxed a bit as fatigue has kicked in from our previous late night. We are not ones to typically go back to the resort midday though especially on these short weekend trips. Usually sitting for a half hour does the trick to keep us going through the evening.

Then we decided to get some snacks and/or early dinner. So off to Studios to try some Mardi Gras sweets that I’ve been hearing about. Oh my they were delicious! We split a king cake (huge!) and a marshmallow pie which was very chocolatey.

The sugar gave us an extra kick of energy for sure!! These were both delightful. It was so enjoyable checking out all of the Mardi Gras decorations too.

Oh, and I forgot to mention… as we were ordering our first treat, the king cake, we purchased a food/beverage card from that stand. We got the $150 card for $120. On top of that, they accept AP discounts on each food item (no AP discounts for alcohol but can use food/beverage card to purchase alcohol). This was a great savings and we used it for other purchases such as at quick service places. I believe you can use it everywhere except at hotels and it never expires.

We figured we’d get some substance and got some yummy salads with chicken at Today’s Cafe. It was beautiful outside so we decided to grab a table outside and eat while taking all of the sights and sounds in. We still had plenty of time before the 7:45pm parade started so we went on ET and then Gringott’s. Funny thing… near the end of Gringott’s ride there were technical difficulties and we were facing away from the screen. We had quite a few chuckles as this has never happened to us on this ride. We were about to exit the ride but a TM told everybody in the car that due to technical difficulties we can stay in and re-ride if we’d like. Heck Yeah! I thought this was so kind of him and thanked him plenty.

We were then off to seek out a parade spot as it was about to start in 20 minutes. I had tried all day long to ride a float but no spots ever opened up. Oh well, maybe next time. I have to say though, I was kind of glad we didn’t get a spot on the float because being this was our first time ever seeing the Mardi Gras parade, it was fantastic being a spectator and catching beads!!

Up next, promise this time, parade and then Diana Ross 😃

The Mardi Gras parade… what a blast!! We are usually not big parade people. Don’t get me wrong, I love watching parades but we just can’t justify using our time to stake out a spot and sit there for an hour plus. There is nothing wrong with that at all… We would just personally rather use our time on rides or at restaurants, shops, etc. But I’ll tell you what, this parade was a hoot!! So many awesome things to see, super fun entertainment along the way, and interactive since we could try to catch beads. The TMs/entertainers were so great at getting the crowd riled up which resulted in a very fun atmosphere. Everyone was so happy! Smiles everywhere.

I mentioned earlier I was a little bummed at not being able to reserve a ride on the floats to throw the beads. However, I’m so glad we had the spectators’ perspective because this was just absolutely wonderful to watch! We do have an upcoming short trip that I will try again to reserve a spot on the float, but again, so glad we watched it especially for our first time being at Mardi Gras. Haha and I was so worried I wouldn’t get one strand of beads but we each caught around 10-12 each. I wish I had taken some pictures, especially of some of the amazing costumes, but I think I just got so caught up in the fun that I didn’t even think to take any pics.

After the festive parade, we walked over to the concert to see the legend herself, Diana Ross. Wow she was amazing!! She’s in her mid to late 70s and you’d never know it! So much energy and she still sounded great! Now and then she’s talk to the crowd and at one point explained this was her first concert since covid hit. She also sang a new song for the first time in front of a big live audience. It was so exciting and the crowd was dancing and singing.

We left just a tiny bit early to beat the crowd. We learned from our last trip to order Voodoo doughnuts an hour early when getting them at park close. Well they were ready, but there was a long line to pick them up at the outside mobile order pick up stand. Lots of people would walk away without doughnuts so I’m thinking a lot of people’s orders weren’t quite ready but they were inquiring about their order. We finally had our box of delights however they said two weren’t available at the time of filling the order. They said we could walk right in the exit and ask about them and if they still didn’t have them, we could pick any two to replace them. We went right in and ended up getting our original two so all good. We tried the new banana cream which was good and full of custard, lemon filled heart and a Nutella Bavarian cream filled heart (strawberry iced). I think my favorite was the Nutella one but of course I eat Nutella by the spoonful! It took me everything I had not to order my all time fav… vegan PB&J but I like trying new flavors too.
There’s a blueberry cake doughnut in there too that hubby loves. The banana one had a dried slice of banana on top and a Nilla wafer. These would be our breakfast the next morning.

We took the pleasant walk back to SF. Daughter went to bed and hubby and I decided to try Strong Water Tavern again. Last trip report I mentioned we didn’t have such a great experience but we had a lot of things going against us such as crowds from a convention and a big football playoff game. This time around we fell in love with this place!

We sat at the bar this time and happened to have Lenny take care of us. Lenny is such a warm, friendly, caring person. We had some great laughs with him and just wonderful conversation in general. I know this bar is rum based but I love gin. I mentioned my love for gin:lovestruc and he hooked me up. He described three different gin drinks. So I ordered the first one called The Last Word. It had: gin of course, fine shaved ice, lime juice, maraschino cherry juice (somehow clear) and it was deeeelightful! So refreshing and flavorful. I forget the name of the second one but it was basically gin and Prosecco mixed. I would’ve never thought to mix these two but it was so good and fun… and very festive in a flute glass. I really, really wanted to try the tres leche cake and Lenny said it was available that evening but we were so incredibly stuffed from previous snacking and then the drinks. Next time, that’s my mission! We then headed to bed as we were incredibly tired. I love staying there on lobby level. We were in Guest House Two and I love walking through that tunnel with the lovely pool on one side, and the boat dock on the other side. Peaceful water views on both sides… So serene.

Up next, departure day but a full day at the parks.

Great report! Love how Universal Studios Orlando celebrates every holiday. Those Mardi Gras floats are designed by same MG Floats in New Orleans ! That’s why they are incredibly themed!
Love Today Cafe too.
I am going to Hard Rock for Sunday Night / 1 night stay.
Next trip plan theirKitchen Sunday Brunch and make reservations thru Open Table,..
I plan to keep reading your trip report for ideas ! have to remember yourVooDoo tip!

Great report! Love how Universal Studios Orlando celebrates every holiday. Those Mardi Gras floats are designed by same MG Floats in New Orleans ! That’s why they are incredibly themed!
Love Today Cafe too.
I am going to Hard Rock for Sunday Night / 1 night stay.
Next trip plan theirKitchen Sunday Brunch and make reservations thru Open Table,..
I plan to keep reading your trip report for ideas ! have to remember yourVooDoo tip!
I hope you have a wonderful trip! Mardi Gras is such a fun time to visit. We had a Hard Rock stay this past December and really enjoyed it there. It has a very fun vibe there. Enjoy!

I'm originally from South Louisiana, and Mardi gras was SUCH a big part life there. I miss it!!! however, as adults, we often took disney/Universal during the Mardi gras week holiday, and one of our first Universal trips, we got to watch the parade. SO fun! They do a GREAT job. My youngest 2 kids have never been to a Mardi Gras parade, and we keep hoping to take them one year. So glad y'all enjoyed it so much. Wow. To see Diana Ross too. What a legend. Loved the Seuss pictures too!
Will have to plan to go back to NBC grill, and also try the banana cream donut at Voodoo. All look so yummy. Loving the TR. Thanks for sharing all the fun.

I'm originally from South Louisiana, and Mardi gras was SUCH a big part life there. I miss it!!! however, as adults, we often took disney/Universal during the Mardi gras week holiday, and one of our first Universal trips, we got to watch the parade. SO fun! They do a GREAT job. My youngest 2 kids have never been to a Mardi Gras parade, and we keep hoping to take them one year. So glad y'all enjoyed it so much. Wow. To see Diana Ross too. What a legend. Loved the Seuss pictures too!
Will have to plan to go back to NBC grill, and also try the banana cream donut at Voodoo. All look so yummy. Loving the TR. Thanks for sharing all the fun.
Thanks so much! I’m glad you still get a ‘close’ experience to what you were used to by visiting Disney/Universal during Mardi Gras. It is a fun time for sure!

The Mardi Gras parade… what a blast!! We are usually not big parade people. Don’t get me wrong, I love watching parades but we just can’t justify using our time to stake out a spot and sit there for an hour plus. There is nothing wrong with that at all… We would just personally rather use our time on rides or at restaurants, shops, etc. But I’ll tell you what, this parade was a hoot!! So many awesome things to see, super fun entertainment along the way, and interactive since we could try to catch beads. The TMs/entertainers were so great at getting the crowd riled up which resulted in a very fun atmosphere. Everyone was so happy! Smiles everywhere.

I mentioned earlier I was a little bummed at not being able to reserve a ride on the floats to throw the beads. However, I’m so glad we had the spectators’ perspective because this was just absolutely wonderful to watch! We do have an upcoming short trip that I will try again to reserve a spot on the float, but again, so glad we watched it especially for our first time being at Mardi Gras. Haha and I was so worried I wouldn’t get one strand of beads but we each caught around 10-12 each. I wish I had taken some pictures, especially of some of the amazing costumes, but I think I just got so caught up in the fun that I didn’t even think to take any pics.

After the festive parade, we walked over to the concert to see the legend herself, Diana Ross. Wow she was amazing!! She’s in her mid to late 70s and you’d never know it! So much energy and she still sounded great! Now and then she’s talk to the crowd and at one point explained this was her first concert since covid hit. She also sang a new song for the first time in front of a big live audience. It was so exciting and the crowd was dancing and singing.

I am curious where you watched the parade? I wasn't sure if we were going to be able to do both when there next weekend.

I was there Mar 2-6. Crowds were great. Hagrids averaged about 60 min and Velocicoaster averaged only about 40 minutes wed-fri. Saturday was a different story obviously. I would go again this time of year.

I was there Mar 2-6. Crowds were great. Hagrids averaged about 60 min and Velocicoaster averaged only about 40 minutes wed-fri. Saturday was a different story obviously. I would go again this time of year.
I totally agree! We just got back again (night of March 4-March 8). Yes Saturday was crazy crowded and Sunday was so-so crowded but Monday and Tuesday were great crowd-wise!

I just realized I’d better end my trip report because I have another report coming up!
The next morning we had some light rain but nothing that stopped us. In fact I like the light rain sometimes which also lightens up the crowds. We waited in the single rider line at Hagrid’s but it ended up taking almost as long as if we would’ve hopped in the standby line. I feel like SR line at Hagrid’s is hit or miss. Sometimes it saves time, other times it takes just as long and if I have to wait the same amount of time I’d rather wait in standby where you move along and have great various views. Anyways, it’s always fun to ride Hagrid’s!! The music, sights, speed, Hagrid’s jovial voice… I love it all! Of course after that, a daily frozen Butterbeer was consumed. Velocicoaster had a posted 45 wait, but probably only waited 25 minutes. That ride never disappoints!

Then we had lunch at our favorite counter service, Thunder Falls. In our experiences, consistently great fresh food. After lunch, so many rides: Cat in hat, Spider-Man, then Studios - Transformers, Fast & furious (it’s become one of our jokes that it’s so ridiculous, we have to ride it at least once per trip), Fallon, ET, MiB, Transformers, Gringott’s. Some of these we rode SR with very minimal waits. We also went through the awesome Tribute Store and the monster store which is in the Mummy’s gift shop.

Incredible detail here!

We then mobile ordered pizza from Red Oven and sat at one of their tables before heading back to the hotel for departure. We thought this was pretty good pizza. Nothing wow, but decent quality and fresh.

I think our biggest takeaway from this trip was the lively fun, upbeat vibe that was felt from Mardi Gras. Everyone seemed extra happy and with a little more spring in their step. The music, entertainment, food… all good. I’m not even sure if I mentioned it earlier but hubby had some gumbo from one of the booths and it was so good and comforting. Definitely a special time to visit!

I’ll soon have another trip report with more Mardi Gras and a stay at SF again. Just love that resort! Thanks for reading along!💕

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter