Savannah and Charleston Please

mrsboz

DIS Veteran
I would like to know where to stay at each of these cities please. I would like to stay right on the main drag so we can walk everywhere. I would not like to go over $250/night please. Thank you.

I would like to know where to stay at each of these cities please. I would like to stay right on the main drag so we can walk everywhere. I would not like to go over $250/night please. Thank you.
I've stayed at the Holiday Day Inn Express Savannah. 199 E Bay Street 31401. Great location. Historic District behind you, River Front in front of you. All walking distance. It has been a couple of years since we've stayed there though but location is great. Haven't been to Charleston...yet. I've looked into hotels and it's expensive. The time you want to go has a lot to do with what you'll pay. May have to go further out to pay less but then have to drive and parking is not easy. In Savannah anyway. We've been doing college tours and usually stay at a Holiday Inn or Hilton. Nothing fancy, just close to universities. After fees, taxes, etc., it's close to $200.

There are many hotels for $200 and under since we’re planning on going in a week or so. Any other ideas where we can stay right on the main st there so we can walk to everything?

Thanks for your response Sandy.

We stayed at the Courtyard Charleston Waterfront a couple weeks ago. A few miles from main street, but they have a free shuttle that will drop you off and pick you up at Waterfront Park - the shuttle leaves every 30 minutes, and they give you a number to call for when you are ready to be picked up. We did also go to Savannah, but didn't stay there. We did a day trip since we stayed at Disney's Hilton Head resort (about an hour drive each way).

I can't help you with hotels as we stayed further out but loved both cities. It would be hard to pick a favourite. Enjoy your trip and I'm sure you will love them! :)

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Historic district in Savannah and got a balcony room. It was walkable to us, though it does sit on the edge of the historic district. We loved touring the city during the day and then sitting on the balcony after dinner and watching the barges sail by.

In Savannah we've stayed at Holiday Day Inn Express - Savannah Historic District on E Bay Street and were happy with our accommodations. The location cannot be beat for walk-ability to River Street and the historic squares.

We've also stayed at the JW Marriott, Hyatt Regency, The Bohemian, and The Perry Lane - not sure if those fall within your price parameters but they are all great. Savannah is a beautiful city!

I haven't been to Charleston as often as Savannah but when we did visit we stayed at The Charleston Place and it's location could not be beat either.

I know Savannah extremely well. Numerous trips, got married there, our child is named after the city. There's some great places I would stick to a place that is somewhere between MLK and broad and north of Liberty. You could go a bit further south but it will be a lot of walking to main attractions. If you are going to be there for more than a couple of days DEFINITELY look at renting a house. I also recommend looking at B&B's, we love the Presidents Quarters. You may pay a bit more but you also get a lot more. For hotels, we've stayed mostly everywhere at this point and we keep coming back to the Andaz. Riverstreet is fine but I rarely go anymore, so I wouldn't recommend staying right on riverstreet.

Charleston is a bit tougher but once again, I prefer the B&Bs. We like the John Rutledge house and The Fulton Lane inn are two that we've enjoyed. Those are both in great locations. Embassy suites is nice but it's been more than 10 years since we stayed there so I can't comment on how things are now. Be aware there are rooms with no windows to outside, just the atrium.

Know that Savannahs historic distric is much larger than Charlestons. Both have great beaches as well but they are not close expect at least a 30 min drive.

I haven't been yet, but DH and I are doing a mini trip to Charleston in April (high season). Everyone on the Charleston TripAdvisor forum says the historic district is the place to be, but FYI hotel rooms are pricey. We are staying at the Barksdale House that is in the Historic District, and paying a base rate of about $260 a night for a king room (but that's before taxes). If you go with a queen room, it's a little less. It's a little guest house that gets good reviews, looked nice to me, and was one of the less expensive places that was close in, in the historic area. I was originally looking to stay at somewhere more at the $200 - $250 price point including taxes and fees, but I wanted a good location for walking to stuff and ended up upping my budget to $300 a night to get that. I'm paying with taxes $890 for a three night stay.

I know many people on the TripAdvisor Charleston forum that don't want to spend that much on a hotel room stay in Mount Pleasant and drive into the historical district for the day or a few days. Rooms are way less expensive there, but you are giving up the walking to historical attractions right from your hotel part.

Note that the time of year you go affects hotel rates too with nice weather times (times where it's not too hot and not too cold) typically having the highest rates.

Last edited:
We have had good luck at the Francis Marion Hotel in Charleston.
It is in a good location.
Get a Deluxe Room, they are a bit bigger than a standard room.
Priceline often has good deals.
AAA price can be good, but often P/L beats it.
Go over to Trip Advisor and read about it.
Look at the map to to see where it is.

Savannah- like others we also like the H.I. Express, historic district....or for a lower price, stay at the Holiday Inn a couple blocks away.

I also recommend the Francis Marion in downtown Charleston. If you’re willing to drive a little (15-20 minutes) to get to the downtown area, I recommend the Hyatt House Charleston/Mount Pleasant. It’s clean, safe, quiet and maybe 10 minutes to the local gorgeous beaches. Free breakfast, too

We went to the Hilton Mills House in Charleston. Absolutely gorgeous. Can walk everywhere. I highly recommend.

Savannah we ended up spending the day and moving on. We’re in FL now. Thx for all the suggestions

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter