Saying good bye to the rough draft, & hello to a real plan... Come on in, thoughts & suggestion are most welcome. Update 1/16/20

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Hi all :wave:

Updated 12/9
Updated 1/16/2020

As some of you might have read my original post with a very rough draft... We have now formulated a plan of touring and we have changed up quite a bit...while everything is still not anywhere close to completed... This is the the path that we are going to follow... As far as sightseeing there is so much to do, see and experience.. I am sure that things will change here daily... Wow it's been a while since I updated..., I have been spending alot of time behind the screen... working on the trip.. and it is ever changing...

We are planning for November 2020... and have still have not decided on actual which weeks we will be there we are looking at 2 weeks all together including travel time and a couple of day to recuperate...... There are few reasons why... DH has to wait until January to request time off. As well waiting for the fares for Nov. 2020 to open up... and we are going to be using our CC points, loyalty points, and cash back and trying to get the most out of them as we can... As well we are wanting to incorporate Thanksgiving holiday into our trip... DH did get his vacation approved... we did have to get creative with the days, as with his position he can not be away 3 weekend in a row.. so we have all that hashed out... Yay...

It will be just the 2 of us DH and me... We do not travel commando style at all... We like to have a couple of things lined up each day, and then the rest is sorta whatever we want to do, or get off the tourist path and check out...

As far as airlines and Hotels , we have not ruled anyone out... so in talking to my neighbors who just got back and our friends that just got back are urging us to go with an American based Airline as well as hotels ... DH is 6'4" and big man and I am 5'8" and seats with most Asian based companies are very small...even in business class... which is what we have been looking at... So we are pretty sure that we are going to go this route with a american based Airline... and We are leaning toward Hilton for the whole trip... a king size bed... is very important to us... Sleeping comfortably is super important to us.

Here's where's - I am going to split up Airfare and Hotels -

Airfare up first... We did decided to go with Delta, flying Premium Select RT...and Under 3,000 total for both of us... everyone said that under 4,000 would be a good rate...So I am pretty please with it... Then when checked my Delta account... I had an offer for upgrading with our sky-miles..... and in the end we had enough to upgrade to 1st class on both legs of the Domestic flights... now I am hoping for some more magic...that we might get a doable offer for the long haul part... needing magic and pixie dust... pixiedust:

Hotels up next - First.... DH is pretty set on Hilton for the whole trip... So more than likely that's the way we are going...so in looking at it I think we should have enough for several nights .... hoping for a good Hilton Flash Sale for the rest of the nights... pixiedust: Once I get a true feel for what we can do I will post...

We are planning on private car from the airport to the hotel.... and most likely from the hotel to airport at the end of our trip.. _ I have started looking at this and gotten a recommendation for Black Lane ( thanks NONO) , Tokyo Car service from our friends that used them last year in November...and a co-worker that DH's know suggested 24 limousine service... So at least I have a starting line up...

What I know for sure so far that is a must....

1) Wifi Buddy and extra battery -ordered for pick up at the airport... of course that depends on flight times...and hours of operation...
2) Google maps download to all devices
3) Train passes... Sucia for sure,
4) JR pass... for the JR pass once we get much closer and have a firm plan for where we are going away from Tokyo.. we will be able to map it out to see if this is a good option for us... If we go with it, Order for pickup at the airport...
5) Power strip for electronics
6) download translate app'

Odaiba - will be our first stop... as of right now 3 nights... -
This is still the plan at this point...

Things to see, do and experience... not in any order.. I did find out that there is a bus offered around the Island -" Aqua City Bus" and its free to use...
1) Teamlab Borderless
2) Fugi TV Building and check out the Sphere
3) Toyota mega City
4) Statue of liberty
5) JoyOpolis
6) Decks Seaside mall/ Aqua city mall and restaurants over look the bay
7) Science and Tech museum - check out the robots,...
8) Diver City and the food court in Basement
9) Ramen at Kikugikan
10) Venus Fort shopping
11) Dinner Cruise around the harbor... Rainbow Bridge at night...
12) Water bus to Asakusa Day trip - Sensoji Temple, Asakusa Tourist info center for the View, Skytree, possibly a rickshaw ride, and Nakamise street for Shopping as well as Nishi Sando shopping street...
13) Gundam Unicorn, and store for Grandson... he loves transformers, so I know he will like these...

Second Stop - Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Seas.- 4 or 5 nights -

We are undecided about whether to go for a 3 day ticket and a starlighter passporter ticket or just go all in on a 4 day tickets - I know that we want 2 full day at Disneyland... Disney Seas seems like a full day, and maybe one evening of just walking around... Several friends that have been say it really cool to check out, but not alot of rides, and lottery for the shows are hard to come by...

Here we have changed up a little bit... We decided on 3 nights, and 3 day tickets... Again staying with Hilton... so that we can have a extra day in Tokyo, and see more. With the tickets, we will do Disney Sea's first, then Disneyland, and then on the 3rd day we can hop between parks...

I am waiting till closer to time to develop a plan for the parks... to see if there is anything down for refurbishment... and park hours and all that to make up a plan...

Third stop - Tokyo... 4 or 5 nights
So here's some what of a change... we might go back to Odaiba and finish our trip there, going into Tokyo by train or water taxi... Our friends just keep raving about how they wished that they would have stayed in Odaiba for the whole part of their trip except Disneyland segment... They just loved loved the vibe there... they really did not enjoy staying in the city at all.... they said the just finding restaurant to sit down and have dinner and relax was hard... lots of good food, but no where to relax and just slow down... I really want to stay in the city and check it out... DH does have a point, we do like a much more relaxed feeling in the evening... and it's just a train ride away... So we will have to see...

Not in any order

Tsukiji Fish Outer market not sure were to put this is on the touring, plans... Suggestions please...

Shibuya
1) Shibuya Crossing and viewing from above.
2) Tokyo "Edo" National Museum
3) Yo Yogi park
4) Shopping Labi, big Camera, Dasio and Mega Donki...
5) Niku Yokochu - food stalls on the second floor
6) Disney Store
7) Hachiko Statue
8) Sumo stables, looking tour voyagin ... and possible the Sumo Museum

Akihabara - Not sure if we are going to spend much time here... the Spice store and the restaurant are the only draw... I think that I am missing something so thoughts, or insight, other suggestions are so much appreciated... I think that at the Fish Market, we should be able to buy some spice's that I am interested in...
1) Chabara food and spice store
2) yakitori - Shimonya Restaurant

Shinjuku
1) Zauo - catch your own fish and they will prepare it for you
2) Goen park - Tea house, green house and Chinese Gardens
3) Samurai Museum
4) Godzilla Hotel -
5) Tokyo Hands - shopping

Harijuku -
After doing some research not sure if we are really wanting to head over to this area... not much I can tell for us... If any has some suggestion or insight in this area, I would love to hear about it...

1) Exploring
2) Cotton Candy and Crepes

Day trip to Kyoto - this will be a long day for sure... Shinkansen bullet train transportation...
1) Gion District
2) Fushimi Anari Shrine
3) Kiyomizudera Temple ( wooden terrace) - this will depend on if they have finished renovation on the terrace...

We are now leaning towards whether or not to do a full on day trip... we are going back and forth with it... If we do we will go to Nara/Dotonbori so basically closer to Osaka... or do a tour to out to see Fuji... this is all just talking right now , and I have started researching..so this is all still way up in the air... There is just so much to do in Tokyo..

There is so much more than I am sure that I missed so I am going to stop right here and double check my notes...... There is alot more that we want to do... there is only so much time, and we have to make the most of it...

Please follow along as I will be updating more, now that we have finally figured out the flow of the trip...

Please any suggestions, thought, spots to check out... will really be appreciated...
AS well I will do a break down later on... and once I get a handle on everything of how we used our CC offers, options, points, and perks, and loyalty points...

Thanks so much as always.. :worship:pixiedust:pixiedust::thumbsup2

Last edited:
I probably won’t give a ton of comments until you guys figure out travel dates because then you’ll really know how long you’ll have. I think it’s starting to really take shape though!

I definitely think just having one or two must dos for the day and letting everything else happen as it happens is the ideal way to travel through Tokyo. I had abs over-planned agenda when I started and by the time we went we just have one or two things a day and a list of other things in the area that would be fun if we had time. I was so glad we adjusted to that less-planned agenda because I really underestimated how much time it would take to get from A-B. Also, when things don't really open until 10am or later - you get a later start than most places I've travelled so by the time I've done one thing and had lunch, it's already 2pm.

3 nights seems like a lot in Odaiba for me, but if you're using that to spend a day in Asakusa, it makes more sense. We just did one day in Odaiba and I didn't really feel like I needed more time there, but we also didn't accomplish as much as you have listed.

You're going to have such a good trip! Things will for sure fall more into place when you get the dates set up.

The cost of your JR pass is mainly for the one day trip to Kyoto. Is there really nothing else in Kyoto/Osaka that you would want to see that would make moving from a hotel in Tokyo to a hotel in that area worth it to you? You could save a lot of money by skipping the JR pass + Kyoto but instead spending that day in Tokyo.

A starlight ticket + 3 day ticket is more expensive than a 4 day ticket. There is no reason to ever do that. If you're talking about the after 6 + 3 day ticket, you save 400 JPY but lose park hopping on the third day.

I definitely think just having one or two must dos for the day and letting everything else happen as it happens is the ideal way to travel through Tokyo. I had abs over-planned agenda when I started and by the time we went we just have one or two things a day and a list of other things in the area that would be fun if we had time. I was so glad we adjusted to that less-planned agenda because I really underestimated how much time it would take to get from A-B. Also, when things don't really open until 10am or later - you get a later start than most places I've travelled so by the time I've done one thing and had lunch, it's already 2pm.

3 nights seems like a lot in Odaiba for me, but if you're using that to spend a day in Asakusa, it makes more sense. We just did one day in Odaiba and I didn't really feel like I needed more time there, but we also didn't accomplish as much as you have listed.

You're going to have such a good trip! Things will for sure fall more into place when you get the dates set up.

Here's my thinking on the 3 nights in Odaiba - the first night will be arrival day, so taking into consideration jet lag and the time difference... we live in FL... so really a big time jump for us.. Depending on what time we arrive, I am sure we will want to get in a nap for sure. Not planning on seeing or doing anything... kinda seeing how we feel, so maybe just walking around and exploring, and dinner.. then the next 2 full days, one for the Asakusa day trip, then checking out the shopping and dinner once we get back to Odaiba, then the other for Teamlab Borderless, what ever else we decide to see and then the dinner cruise... Then leave the next day for TDR...

We both are early riser's, now on vacation we tend to sleep in,... so everything opening at 10 am hopefully won't be a problem...for us... and we do like to get out in the evening... and enjoy a wonderful dinner, walking around soaking up the atmosphere...

Last edited:
The cost of your JR pass is mainly for the one day trip to Kyoto. Is there really nothing else in Kyoto/Osaka that you would want to see that would make moving from a hotel in Tokyo to a hotel in that area worth it to you? You could save a lot of money by skipping the JR pass + Kyoto but instead spending that day in Tokyo.

A starlight ticket + 3 day ticket is more expensive than a 4 day ticket. There is no reason to ever do that. If you're talking about the after 6 + 3 day ticket, you save 400 JPY but lose park hopping on the third day.

Oh okay on the tickets... I did not realize this, going in the notes ... Great tip..... Thank you...

With the train.... we are going to use the JR site so that we can figure out if its worth it for us to get it once we get closer... We might decide on another day trip... to Fuji, or a wine tasting tour... there is just so much...

As far as changing hotels another time... DH hates changing hotel... he feels like it just to much wasted time...

Oh okay on the tickets... I did not realize this, going in the notes ... Great tip..... Thank you...

With the train.... we are going to use the JR site so that we can figure out if its worth it for us to get it once we get closer... We might decide on another day trip... to Fuji, or a wine tasting tour... there is just so much...

As far as changing hotels another time... DH hates changing hotel... he feels like it just to much wasted time...
I think a day trip to somewhere like Yokohama or Hakone might be better since it won’t be as far. If you do Hakone you can buy the Free Pass that let’s you get around and it includes your ticket to/from Shinjuku station.

Here's my thinking on the 3 nights in Odaiba - the first night will be arrival day, so taking into consideration jet lag and the time difference... we live in FL... so really a big time jump for us.. Depending on what time we arrive, I am sure we will want to get in a nap for sure. Not planning on seeing or doing anything... kinda seeing how we feel, so maybe just walking around and exploring, and dinner.. then the next 2 full days, one for the Asakusa day trip, then checking out the shopping and dinner once we get back to Odaiba, then the other for Teamlab Borderless, what ever else we decide to see and then the dinner cruise... Then leave the next day for TDR...

We both are early riser's, now on vacation we tend to sleep in,... so everything opening at 10 am hopefully won't be a problem...for us... and we do like to get out in the evening... and enjoy a wonderful dinner, walking around soaking up the atmosphere...

That makes sense! Because of the time difference, we found ourselves waking up at 5am every morning with nowhere to go. It took me about a week to start sleeping in even though I LOVE sleeping on on vacation.

That makes sense! Because of the time difference, we found ourselves waking up at 5am every morning with nowhere to go. It took me about a week to start sleeping in even though I LOVE sleeping on on vacation.
That happened to us too. We were waking up at like 3 am the first couples of days

That happened to us too. We were waking up at like 3 am the first couples of days

We have sorta figured out a plan that works for us.... We find that once the adrenaline of getting to our destination wears off... we just give in and take a nap... like for a couple hours...

I know lots of people will push through it .... for us at least .... I find that if we try to push through and keep going, we are both miserable the next couple of days... so we never plan anything on arrival day... I do have a list of things near the hotels, so if we are up to it we can check it out... if not no problem....

I will say another thing that works for us, that I plan for is a morning to really sleep in, around day 3 or 4... even if we are just laying around resting... It gives us time to relax, and regroup... We do this pretty consistently, and it seem to work great... at least for us it does...

We have been known to even take a nap while on vacation, or lay around in a lounge chair at the pool and do nothing.. Oh the shame if it.... LOL

We're doing 3 days in Odaiba first with day 1 being the Oedo Onsen and a lot of sleep. I will let you know how it works out. I know a lot of folks may say "too much time there" but I know my 4 and how we travel. We will have a rough first couple days with a 14 hour time change (always do)...and having a place that has a lot of small attractions open from late morning til evening should suit us well. Should being the operative word there...:D

We're doing 3 days in Odaiba first with day 1 being the Oedo Onsen and a lot of sleep. I will let you know how it works out. I know a lot of folks may say "too much time there" but I know my 4 and how we travel. We will have a rough first couple days with a 14 hour time change (always do)...and having a place that has a lot of small attractions open from late morning til evening should suit us well. Should being the operative word there...:D

Really interested in seeing how your trip goes... are you going to do a trip report when you return? Please let me know how the time in Odaiba goes for sure... well really all of your trip...

We would like to do a Onsen, but DH and I both have tattoos so we would not be allowed in...

Really interested in seeing how your trip goes... are you going to do a trip report when you return? Please let me know how the time in Odaiba goes for sure... well really all of your trip...

We would like to do a Onsen, but DH and I both have tattoos so we would not be allowed in...
Check out this list of tattoo OK onsens. As for a trip report -- maybe.... If I say yes, it definitely, somehow, won't happen! :rotfl2:
[/QUOTE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!