Scared of Birds Animal Kingdom

jf256

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I am looking into booking for 2020 - obviously not yet but trying to find out as much info as possible to work out what I need to save.

I am from the UK and the best deal I can see for 2019 seems to be the AKL. I would like the hotel and savannah room. However; I am terrified of birds. I'm talking frozen solid, crying etc.

IS this going to be a problem.. as I would rather pay more and not be traumatised. I am okay with small birds as long as they are not sitting on me like a robin size max.

Also are there any attractions or areas ( likely AK park) other than up bird show that need to be avoided...

I know it's a weird question but thanks in advance

The tiger trail in AK has a bird house that you walk through at the end. LOTS of birds in there. The Savannah rooms do not have much to do with birds. I think that there might be ostrich but they don't fly and you are about 3 stories up from them on your balcony. There is also a Parrot free flying 'show' at the Tree of Life at Rope drop and at different points of the day as well.

Honestly, AKL will be the least of your concerns, and is actually a good choice as your room will be in the main building and you won't need to walk around outside to get to your room, although you will need to go outside to get to The Mara. The birds on the Savanna aren't going anywhere and will be nowhere near you. The parks are a totally different story, so many people feed them that they are everywhere and have no fear. If I were you I would avoid the QS restaurants with outdoor seating, and limit outdoor snacking to cut down on your chance of one being interested in you. Twice now I have had a duck practically fly into my face while walking around the MK, they just don't care about you if you are in their way, they will get to where they are going regardless.

When we went one of our group was terrified of big birds, ostrich and emus. The worst part for him was the safari in AK. We got stopped by the zebras and sat on the trail for about 15 minutes. There were a couple of ostriches around and he was afraid they would approach the truck.

I've been debating how to respond to this, as I don't want you to discourage you from making the trip. You're focusing on the exotic birds - the kind you might see in a zoo - and I don't think they'll be much of a problem for you, as they don't roam freely and are fairly easily avoided.

I think the bigger problem for you is going to be the native birds. Florida is home to many kinds of very large birds, like egrets, anhingas, herons and seagulls. They're everywhere at WDW, especially in the theme parks. They're not dangerous and they're not out to hurt you, but they will be very interested in any food you're carrying, and might even snatch it out of your hand.

Here's a good article with pictures and descriptions of some of the native birds seen around WDW.

https://blog.touringplans.com/2014/07/27/disney-wildlife-floridas-native-birds/

Avoid a window table at Sanaa. Almost every time we’ve eaten there, someone terrified of birds sits my the window and gets a friendly visitor. Last time, several people videoed this woman freaking out. I wonder if it’s on YouTube...

I've been debating how to respond to this, as I don't want you to discourage you from making the trip. You're focusing on the exotic birds - the kind you might see in a zoo - and I don't think they'll be much of a problem for you, as they don't roam freely and are fairly easily avoided.

I think the bigger problem for you is going to be the native birds. Florida is home to many kinds of very large birds, like egrets, anhingas, herons and seagulls. They're everywhere at WDW, especially in the theme parks. They're not dangerous and they're not out to hurt you, but they will be very interested in any food you're carrying, and might even snatch it out of your hand.

Here's a good article with pictures and descriptions of some of the native birds seen around WDW.

https://blog.touringplans.com/2014/07/27/disney-wildlife-floridas-native-birds/
Great article! Ibis in particular are so common to see. You know it’s about to rain when you see them all in the trees! Looks like cotton trees! But they make no mention of all the ducks around. These other birds stay away from people, but those ducks, sheesh. And I almost got dive bombed by the seagulls going to the outdoor seating terrace at Cosmic Rays.
I guess as others said, avoid outside eating areas. But encountering ducks especially is unavoidable.

I'm not a bird person either ( not a big phobia of mine but I don't like them right next to me either. In September we stayed at AKL in Jambo house in a DVC room. Those are all on the 5th floor. Our view was on a corner of the Savannah so we did not have a direct site on any of the animals but from our balcony we could see white vultures ( which didn't fly at all, just waddled around some ), ducks, giraffes, and African cattle. The birds or ducks were not close enough to the room to be a bother.

I would avoid eating outside - pretty much anywhere you sit outside you'll get sparrow sized birds or ducks begging for food. Because of this we always eat inside.

My daughter is bird phobic and she avoids the aviary at AK and we don’t eat at Flame Tree in AK where birds can be very aggressive. She was surprised by a flock of parrots that swoop over the crowd at AK park opening and a few other times during the day. She usually goes in a store at park open. She hit the ground screaming when they came at us out of the blue during the day. The seagull type birds are very aggressive around the water at Epcot and lots of smaller birds are around the Mexico quick service seating area. We haven’t been too bothered at HS or MK thankfully. We don’t often eat outside at Disney. That really can attract the birds

The seagull type birds are very aggressive around the water at Epcot...

A few years ago we were walking towards Canada in Epcot and enjoying the Mickey Bars we had just purchased. A sea gull swooped in and grabbed my bar although I refused to let go - it was ruined for me of course but I certainly wasn't going to let that bad bird enjoy a Mickey bar theft!

OP - if the fear is as great as you say I also am concerned with your plans to visit the parks. There are native FL birds all over the place. They are looking for food and will come close but of course they are not threatening to people who don't have a fear but it would likely not be very pleasant for someone who does.

Hope you don't mind ducks. Saw ducks swimming in the pool at Boulder Ridge about a week ago when we stayed there. Most of the swimming pools at WDW have ducks landing in them during the morning and evening hours when the pools are not as busy.

I also am scared of birds except for ones with webbed feet. Pigeons are my worst fear so I HATE going to Universal. My hubs is always on bird alert and will walk ahead of me if we enter into an area where there are flock of birds just to scare them off. I generally find the most birds in a park to be in Hollywood Studios especially since most of the food QS is outside. I make it a rule not to eat outside anywhere because birds will fly in/near you to scoop up any crumbs. I get severe anxiety when eating outside. It’s bad.

I think AKL will be fine for you. I enjoyed my stay there and had a savanna view. Just be careful around the pool area as there are a lot of those big, native black birds. They will fly over you or hang out on a chair near you.

Hi everyone,

I am looking into booking for 2020 - obviously not yet but trying to find out as much info as possible to work out what I need to save.

I am from the UK and the best deal I can see for 2019 seems to be the AKL. I would like the hotel and savannah room. However; I am terrified of birds. I'm talking frozen solid, crying etc.

IS this going to be a problem.. as I would rather pay more and not be traumatised. I am okay with small birds as long as they are not sitting on me like a robin size max.

Also are there any attractions or areas ( likely AK park) other than up bird show that need to be avoided...

I know it's a weird question but thanks in advance
Are there no birds in the UK?

I agree.

I’ve not noticed huge numbers of birds at akl itself, apart from ostriches in the savannah, but in the parks yes. And at AK is where I’ve seen the most.

If getting some desensitization therapy is out of the question, I personally would be well out of AK before sunset, as sunset is when I start seeing what someone described as Ibises flying to sit in the trees (making them look like cotton trees as mentioned).

In the parks, anywhere that food is eaten outdoors you’ll have birds. People feed the birds and also accidentally drop food, so you end up with birds who expect food.

When we went one of our group was terrified of big birds, ostrich and emus. The worst part for him was the safari in AK. We got stopped by the zebras and sat on the trail for about 15 minutes. There were a couple of ostriches around and he was afraid they would approach the truck.

You shouldn't have a problem, but just in case you might want to sit in the middle of the seat so that you aren't right by the outside of the vehicle. Then, if stopped, the ostrich wouldn't be able to come right up next to you

AKL
When we stayed in the Animal Kingdom lodge, Jambo House, we once had a room that overlooked an area of the savanna where cranes were almost constantly present. They made very loud noises that were a bit annoying, which is why I remember them being outside our room almost all the time. You might want to have your fear of birds noted on your resort reservation if you are staying in a savanna view room (or possibly book a standard view room) to minimize the possibility of being in the vicinity of cranes or flamingoes (visible from your room balcony, but still far below you). Also, eating outside at Mara (the quick service dining option at AKL) has always had numerous birds around looking for handouts. They are very bold. Eat at one of the inside tables, if you eat there.

As others have said, eat inside whenever possible and avoid carrying food around with you, at least not where it can be seen.

Don't worry, there are birds in Florida, but they can generally be avoided. Enjoy your vacation!

On our last trip to AKL in August, there were large pelicans on the Savannah. It's a lovely hotel, but might not be a good match for the OP. Why take a chance on ruining a terrific vacation? There are plenty of other terrific properties! However, this is Florida. There are birds!

OP, I am also afraid of birds. Specifically the sound of their wings fluttering is what usually sets off my anxiety but I find that any of the outdoor seating is a no go for me generally because people feed the birds and they’re used to getting food that way now. My fear is not generally triggered by larger birds like you would find on the safari.

AKL is our favorite resort. We have never had an issue with birds there, never had one on our balcony or anything like that. We’ve stayed there 5-6 times over the last decade and never had a problem with birds.

The most difficult spot in the parks for me personally is in EPCOT near the UK pavilion, there tends to be a high concentration of seagulls. I grew up going to the Jersey shore every summer so I know how aggressive seagulls can be and that is one area that I do not enjoy. On the jungle trek in AK you can skip the bird house and I never do the bird show but other than that have not found birds to be a problem if I simply avoid the outdoor seating areas. AKL is a stunning resort and very worth a stay if you’re up for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter