Schedule of Southwest Release Dates Next Date 6/28 Travel Thru 1/16

Have there been any sale or web fares out of Philly recently. I'm going March 1-9th and it is $100 - $168 each way??

I usually pay $49-$79 have there been any fares that low recently?

Have there been any sale or web fares out of Philly recently. I'm going March 1-9th and it is $100 - $168 each way??

I have a feeling we will never see those $49 fares from Philly again. Maybe a ding on the flights that are not that good time wise. Even the dings have not been real great.
I booked my flights for May and the cost was $99 each way. I am hoping for at least $79 later on with a ding

I'd have to say no. Going to get very technical here...

Southwest was able to keep fares low, due to them constantly hedging their fuel costs by buying up oil futures. Most, if not all of their futures have since expired, so they are currently paying current rates for fuel, with no futures profits to offset the cost. With fuel being so expensive, it makes no sense to lock anymore futures, and just wait it out. Southwest was the best with this game and this was one of the reasons for their fares being so low. We're just lucky that Southwest hasn't added on a fuel surcharge like so many of the larger carriers have.

I'd have to say no. Going to get very technical here...

Southwest was able to keep fares low, due to them constantly hedging their fuel costs by buying up oil futures. Most, if not all of their futures have since expired, so they are currently paying current rates for fuel, with no futures profits to offset the cost. With fuel being so expensive, it makes no sense to lock anymore futures, and just wait it out. Southwest was the best with this game and this was one of the reasons for their fares being so low. We're just lucky that Southwest hasn't added on a fuel surcharge like so many of the larger carriers have.

Actually it wasn't very technical at all. I'm well aware of the purchase of oil futures. I was just trying to get a current handle on what if any sale out of philly might be...

As I stated on another thread, SWA's fuel hedges are not going to vanish anytime soon.

For 2008, they've hedged the purchase of more than 70% of their projected fuel consumption for a rock-bottom $51.00 a barrel, as opposed to the current market price of approximately $90.00 per barrel.

I spoke with a swa agent today and they are opening it up on JAN 31.. she did not know how far it was going to but did say it will be opening up on Thursday!

I spoke with an agent who told me June 24 or 26th (can't remember), they will release November schedule....

Still patiently waiting for December to open up. Ok, maybe not so patiently.:badpc:

According to the Southwest website:

We are currently accepting air reservations through October 30, 2008. On June 26, we plan to open the schedule for purchase through January 9, 2009. This date is subject to change. Please check back frequently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter