Sci Fi or 50s Primetime for 22 month old and first timer?

Yup, stated that. Unfortunately there are very few of those tables and anyone with a wheelchair who doesn't want to or can't transfer out of their wheelchair is also vying for those tables. You may have to wait quite awhile past your ADR time for one of those few tables to be free or you might have one ready for you when you arrive.
I was just clarifying from your post that I quoted. Either way, there are alternative options for OP if they really want to give Sci Fi a shot.

Sci Fi was my top choice initially, but we are having trouble getting reservations. We are going with my parents so it will be an odd number ofpeople. Someone will have to sit alone unless we get a table. I made a reservation for Primetime as a backup, but now I am leaning more towards that for logistical reasons. Both are nostalgic restaurants for me so it doesnt matter too much! I enjoyed both as a kid, but favor sci fi slightly.

I went to Sci-Fi with my then 19 mo old and 3 year old this past November. We were able to pull a high chair over to the end of one of the regular car tables.

I’m not sure I would recommend it or repeat it with small children. For one, the quiet atmosphere was pretty stressful when my kids weren’t being quiet. Also, the limited table space made managing plates for adults and toddlers difficult. Neither of my kids were interested in the movies playing, and my 3 yo had a hard time resisting standing up on the car seat to turn around and talk to Mama and also kept wanting to talk to people in the next car over.

Overall, I say wait until your kid is a bit older for this one. 50’s Primetime is still fun for first timers and a more normal dining out atmosphere to tackle with the kiddo.

I came to the decision to go to sci fi with just the hubby and I! The grandparents will take my son. I cannot make a reservation at this time though

If I recall correctly, if you need a highchair at Sci-Fi you have to sit at one of the tables that has chairs and no booths towards the front. They are the same tables they use for those in wheelchairs and they only have maybe 2 or 3 of them so you may have to wait quite awhile past your ADR until they are free. When my kids were toddlers they did not like Sci-Fi due to how dark it is and they thought the movie clipe were creepy. They love it now though. For those reasons I would choose 50s Prime Time.
The plus side to the tables with chairs is that they seat six, so if you did all go, you would be able to sit together and face each other like at a "regular" restaurant. You'd likely have to wait a little longer, but a high chair at these tables is no problem.

We ate lunch at Sci-Fi last year since the place next door (don't recall the name) was closed for renovation. We chose to wait for one of the regular tables near the back. The car seating could result in looking at the back of the heads of others in your party, depending on the size of your group. We thought the overall atmosphere looked dingy and in need of a refresh. Others here say it is wonderful/amazing but that certainly wasn't our impression. The movie clips (they are not entire movies, just brief clips) probably won't mean much to anyone under 50 yrs of age who won't recognize the movies/TV shows they are from. The food was very average and nothing special. As I recall, it was a bit dark inside, but not really an issue for us. We were all adults, but I can see some small children being frightened by some of the movie clips. Never eaten at 50's Primetime, so can't offer any comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!