SD Wild Animal Park

tinkerbelt

DIS Veteran
It's been about 10 years since I've been, and we're thinking of going, but I have some questions.

It looks like they've replaced the tram tour with the Journey Into Africa? Is the Journey Into Africa any different than the old tram tour?

What else is there to do? I seem to remember that the majority of the park was the tram tour, and because it's been so long, I really can't remember any of the other stuff there. My thought right now is that with it costing extra to do Journey Into Africa, if we decide not to do that, we might be bored and we would be better off going to a different attraction. I will have my 4 year old with me, and I have never been with kids - what kind of fun stuff do they have for little ones?

I am a member, so I hadn't really noticed that the JIA had an additional fee. That is a bit obnoxious!! However, if you look at ticket prices, if you buy the "best value" ticket it will include the JIA and the Merry-go-round which opened about 3 years ago ad had a fee. The best value ticket is $33/adult while the general admission which doesn't include either of the above is $28.50. So, if going the "best" value is actually worth it.
For a four year old, the JIA, Lorikeet landing (fee for nectar to feed them, but they land all over you, it is quite fun), the petting zoo and feeding the ducks is about all a 4 year old will get into. Do you push a stroller, or is the child going to walk? All the other exhibits are far flung with quite a hike to see them, so most little ones run out of joy fast for that part. There is a playground with lots of shade...gorillas are easy to get to.
The WAP is not to be missed by adults!! +/- for little kids. We have had very mixed reviews with our visitors!! Some kids LOVE loVE it!! (feed them churros, and icecream and it is all good), others are pained by the walking tour!!
It is really HOT in the summer by about 1PM. That is when my family poops out!! Have fun!

Thanks grumpyvet! I think we might pass on it. We live really close to the WAP, and I would probably buy a membership for DD and I if we went, but the way you've described it seems about the way that I remember it. I think we'll either do the zoo or Sea World instead.

The new Journey into Africa doesn't go into as many areas as the monorail did, but I think you get a better view of the animals. Unfortunately, unlike the Kilimanjaro Safari attraction at Walt Disney World, you're still on a road around the perimeter of the savannahs, rather than being in the middle of them. Still, when we did it we saw quite a few animals, though at times our view was blocked by the fence.

If you haven't been to the WAP in 10 years, there are several new things - like the big Heart of Africa exhibit, and the new Lion Camp exhibit - where you REALLY get to see the lions up close! I'd agree with grumpyvet that there's a lot of walking involved, which might make it tough with small kids. Heck, I'm in very good physical shape and I'm still pooped after walking around the WAP for 4 hours!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter