Sea Turtle Obsessed!

ct7878

Mouseketeer
We are getting really excited for our upcoming trip this June and I am really starting to plan everything out. As I am doing so, I have to keep in mind that our family is obsessed with sea turtles (in fairness, we live in Florida and volunteer the ST Preservation Society here so my son has been exposed to these gentle giants since he has been really young). I know that there is a cove that is recommended past the Four Season- and I am scheduling a snorkel trip on the North Shore. I am curious where else people have had success in seeing Sea Turtles in both Oahu and Maui? Any particular beaches or experiences that you would recommend?

I am also a lover of sea turtles and have traveled all over the world to see them. I have been successful in seeing them when swimming out from Makaha Beach, and the swim with wild dolphins tour offered out of the marina down from Aulani stops at a place where you can swim with turtles.

When I went surfing at Waikiki Beach, I was able to see some beautiful sea turtles. There were HUGE. I kept my distance, but they were super curious and keep swimming up to me....as I paddled away...they seem to follow me. There was two turtles within fifty feet of each other. It was awesome.

I know that there is a cove that is recommended past the Four Season- and I am scheduling a snorkel trip on the North Shore. I am curious where else people have had success in seeing Sea Turtles in both Oahu and Maui? Any particular beaches or experiences that you would recommend?

We didn't have any luck seeing any sea turtles at the beach near Paradise Cove, which is just past the Four Seasons. The famous beach for sea turtles is in the North Shore - Laniakea Beach. It's just past Haleiwa, before Waimea Valley. Lots of traffic in the area and parking is at a premium - mostly on the side of the road. Its rocky to get down to the beach, so not ideal for anyone disabled. There were a lot of people around to see the turtles, but there were volunteers to make sure people didn't get too close. There was one turtle when we were there, but I've seen photos of a couple on the beach at a time.

I have had turtles swim along side of me at Kailua Beach on the east side of Hawaii as well as seen them at Hanauma Bay and up in the North Shore as @nkereina mentions above.

Waikiki, out the front of Hale Koa there are at least three massive turtles that love swimming around and people watching. Scared the living daylights out of me but the kids loved floating an a yoga mat raft and watching them swim underneath.

We have always had good luck at the cove down the street from Aulani. We usually walk over a few times each trip and have seen them every time. (we always go in June and usually in the 11-2 time frame) One time we even saw a Hawaiian Monk seal sunning himself. Also we have seen them up on the north shore. The first time there were at least 10 and they were huge.

We see them frequently when snorkeling. We loved the snorkeling on the north shore (waimea, shark's cove, and 3 tables). My husband saw some while snorkeling far out in the lagoons near the barriers too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter