Sea World Luau

Pitter

Earning My Ears
We have heard that the luau at the Polynesian is a lot of money for so-so food. So now we are wondering if the Sea World luau would be a nice alternative. Can someone please give me some info on it such as, what does it cost? is there food or is it a show only? are there complimentary mai-tai's for senior citizens? What time is it and is there one every night? Thank you for any info. Much appreciated.

This from from my book, "The Other Orlando: What To Do When You've Done Disney and Universal":

Aloha! Polynesian Luau
In the SeaWorld park
(407) 351-3600

Prices: Adults $35.95, juniors (8 to 12) $25.95, children (3 to 7) $15.95. Plus tax and tip.

Times: Daily at 6:30 p.m.

Directions: In the SeaWorld park, in an annex to the Bimini Bay restaurant.

In a low ceilinged room adjacent to the Bimini Bay restaurant in SeaWorld, you are transported to the lush South Seas. Family-style tables radiate out from the semicircular stage, and tropical flowers and large green leaves hang down from the rafters.
The show, which begins as the crowd settles in, is hosted by a suave crooner in the manner of Don Ho. It takes us through a leisurely history of Hawaii, as the islands move from the worship of volcano gods to the coming of the missionaries, to the bustling, pulsating Hawaii of today. As with the daytime show, there is time for a tour of the pageantry and dancing of other Pacific islands, Samoa and Tahiti prominent among them.

Backed by a small band, most of the show is given over to the dancers, four bare-chested men and four lissome young women who constantly reappear in new and ever more colorful costumes to evoke a variety of styles and moods. The dancing is a bit more suggestive than the daytime version, which seems to offend no one. In fact, the loudest hoots and cheers come from the women in the audience when the male dancers leer, grind their hips, and grab their buttocks. How times change! Most of the evening is far more genteel than that, however. Indeed, this is a rather stately show compared to other dinner attractions, much like what you’d expect in a fairly upscale Hawaiian nightclub.

The singing by our host is mellifluous and soothing, ranging from Hawaiian language songs (including a “Hawaiian yodel”!) to the more familiar “Stranger in Paradise” from Kismet. The dancing is never less than enchanting and in the war chant numbers rather exciting. Volunteers are dragooned from the audience to dance the hula, which is always good for a laugh. The Samoan Fire Knife Dance finale is literally incendiary, as a dancer wearing nothing but a brief loincloth twirls a flaming baton and rests the burning ends on his tongue and the soles of his feet.

The food may not be quite as good as the show, but there is plenty of it, all served family style. First comes a selection of fresh fruit and salad. Among the three entrees, the mahi-mahi in piña colada sauce is a standout. The sweet and sour chicken and smoked pork loin are okay, as are the mixed steamed vegetables. Dessert varies with the season and is accompanied by coffee. The admission price includes the meal, a complimentary soft drinks coffee, and unlimited iced tea. For the drinkers in the crowd, a cash bar is available.

All in all, this show is a real crowd-pleaser, but I can’t keep from wondering just how authentic it all is. Am I seeing the real thing or the Hawaiian equivalent of Pat Boone singing a Little Richard song?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter