Seasoned guests and most skippable attractions

Steven G

DIS Veteran
if you've been to DL more than a few times, are there any attractions that you used to love, but now don't mind missing? Here are mine, and most are due to long or boring queues:

Note these are all awesome rides, and should be high on the list of most guests...

1) Indiana jones: yeah, I'm going with this one. Ride shutting down a lot, fastpass still requiring a rather long wait sometimes, lack of variety (always same) and it really is just a motion simulator at heart. Used to love, but getting kind of bored with it. The theming is nice, but not worth it.

2) Peter Pan: long lines kill this one for me, and I like Alice and mr road better anyway.

3) soarin': liked the California film better versus world, and like Indy, lack of variety kinda kills it anyway.

4) Matterhorn: mostly for boring long queue and rough ride, but single rider or fast pass makes this better, almost didn't put this one on list.

Plus...
For dining: gotta go with cove bar due to long queue, and kinda underwhelmed after buildup of how great food is there.

I haven't been to the parks in a year since I moved out of SoCal, but this will likely stay the same once I move back in the winter.

1) Peter Pan: I really love it, but it's not worth the wait for me. I only go on it once in a blue moon.
2) BTMRR: If there's a short wait, sure, but it's not a priority for me.
3) Splash Mountain: Again, long waits in summer. (I got spoiled by the short lines for it in TDR)
4) Soarin: Though I haven't been to the parks since Soarin around the world came out, so this may change.

Dark rides in general. We might ride one or two, but, unless I'm there with someone who's never been before, I will absolutely skip Snow White and Pinocchio, and Mr Toad and Pooh are iffy. PP only if we rope drop it. Alice is an easy one, though.

I'll never do Mickey's Fun Wheel of Terror again. And most of the west side of Paradise Pier, we don't bother with.

if you've been to DL more than a few times, are there any attractions that you used to love, but now don't mind missing? Here are mine, and most are due to long or boring queues:

Note these are all awesome rides, and should be high on the list of most guests...

1) Indiana jones: yeah, I'm going with this one. Ride shutting down a lot, fastpass still requiring a rather long wait sometimes, lack of variety (always same) and it really is just a motion simulator at heart. Used to love, but getting kind of bored with it. The theming is nice, but not worth it.

2) Peter Pan: long lines kill this one for me, and I like Alice and mr road better anyway.

3) soarin': liked the California film better versus world, and like Indy, lack of variety kinda kills it anyway.

4) Matterhorn: mostly for boring long queue and rough ride, but single rider or fast pass makes this better, almost didn't put this one on list.

Plus...
For dining: gotta go with cove bar due to long queue, and kinda underwhelmed after buildup of how great food is there.

I agree with your whole list. I rarely do Indiana Jones....I think it doesn't have the nostalgic factor for me so that may be some of it
Ever since they added fast pass for matterhorn I've skipped it. Even if the line was around the mountain, it moved quickly but now it's just ridiculous!

Interesting to see people skipping Indy. It's one of my favorites!

Rides I skip:

Matterhorn: Too bumpy, jerky, just painful. DH and my boys like it. I skip it.
Tea Cups: I don't like spinning. Makes me nauseous. I don't like being nauseous at Disneyland.
Canal Boats: Same spiel over and over. The little houses are cute but not that impressive. Boring.
Carousel: Unless someone wants me to go with them, not interested.
Splash: I'll only go if it's really hot out. I don't like walking around wet and cold.

I wouldn't say I'm a seasoned guest, but we just got AP's after a long break. After we went on Pinocchio and Snow White the look on my kids' faces was entertaining. One said, "Um... now can we go on a good ride?" Ha! I know they aren't the best rides, but we had to do them at least once! They could do Indy over and over and over again, but I'm so grateful they are all old enough to ride without us. Maybe DH and I will sit and eat a Dole Whip while they ride.

Peter Pan: long lines kill this one for me
Line is always at least 45 minutes when I go there. It used to be one of my favorite rides, but now I rarely ride it. The wait time is nowhere near being worth the ride.
soarin': liked the California film better versus world,
I loved the original version and feel the new version is pretty lame. The Eiffel tower is curved, the smells don't smell real like the citrus and pine did and
the "splat" between scenes isn't immersive to me at all. I only go on this ride when I am with a group who wants to ride it. In the former version, I used to ride it every visit because I wanted to.

Matterhorn - used to be my all time favorite ride, but now I rarely go on it. It's jerky and uncomfortable and the new yeti is scary.

Space Mountain - used to be a must do when I was young. Now, it makes me motion sick.

I always skip It's a small world. I dislike Mickey's fun wheel, because i don't care for ferris wheels. I skip Matterhorn, because like most everyone else said it's just too bumpy. I think those are the biggest 3. There are a lot of smaller rides we just don't ever go to. Not because we dislike them, we just have other plans and rides we want to do.

We generally skip Peter Pan, yes it's a beautiful ride, but not worth the long, slow wait in line. We always skip Star Tours as we all get motion sick on that one. Most rides don't bother us in that way, but that one sure gets us! I think beyond that we pretty much do it all. Of course if a line is really long we may just walk right on by. We will renew our AP's when we go next month (we are out of state visitors) and I plan on adding MaxPass so I will be curious how that will impact our park experience...

Five trips in the last four years and this is what I gathered in terms of rides.

Peter Pan - Did it once. Don't get it. I really don't understand the line, the desire, the absolute need for people to trample over humanity to wet themselves over a 1 minute 45 second bore fest.
Autotopia - Yeah we still do it because the kids are little but truthfully this is not needed. Get ride of the rail in the middle. Make it go-karts and let the people kill each other. Maybe a Mad Max theme with a medical crew waiting at the finish line.
Jungle Cruise - I cringe on this ride. The guides try their best but most people either miss the jokes or seem to be waiting for 5 star material to break into a mild chuckle.
Mickey's Wheel of Vomit - Do the swinging side and throw up. Do the locked position side and remain bored wondering when you will be on the bottom again.

Used to love but don't mind missing? Well as APs for over 10 years, there isn't much I really don't mind missing as there is so much stuff to do besides rides, but here goes:

Peter Pan- wait time to ride time ratio is insane. I think i've gone on it once the past 20 years(EE). Meh.

RSR- ok ride but line always way too long. I sometimes will do the single rider if its 10 minutes or so. I seem to be in the minority about not caring so much about this ride. /Shrug.

Space Mountain- line too long, still love the ride. Will sometimes get FPs for it.

Matterhorn- the few times it isn't broken, the line is way too long, and my back can no longer take the abuse.

Splash Mountain- i don't care enough about it to ride more than once every 10 years or so.

Ariel ride- have been on it where it literally stopped every 10-15 seconds.

Star Tours when the line is over 30 minutes.

WoC- saw it once and that was enough for me. If I were happening to walk by at the time I might flance up for a few seconds.

Parades- most I can do without, now that my kids are older i am no longer forced to watch them. I could definitely do without all the closures and traffic inconveniences, especially on the double days. I did watch the ELP twice this year however for nostalgia.

I can do without pretty much anything over a 20-30 minute wait.

There isn't much for me that's a must-skip, per se. But there are rides in which I don't have a lot of interest. For example, I've only been on Autopia, Casey Jr. and the tea cups once. They're simply not priorities for me. Conversely, my must-rides include Mr. Toad, Buzz Lightyear and Pirates. I also place a high value on Peter Pan and the other dark rides in FL. I love to ride those first thing. Since I'm almost always at rope-drop, I rarely miss them.

As an aside, I don't think I've been to CA in my last 20 visits or so to DL. There's not much there for me and I'd rather sit and people-watch at DL -- the original park -- than spend my time there. I've also never been on California Screamin' or GOTG (yet). Believe it or not, I've only done Toy Story Mania once. Perhaps I'll get over there soon and give it another shot, especially now that there's a FP for it. That'll be on the same day that I finally decide to brave GOTG ;-).

We rarely ride the Nemo Subs, Dumbo, Casey Jr. or the Astro Orbiter, the attractions are okay, but not worth it unless they are walk on.

I love Peter Pan, but like others have said, the wait is a little long. We still ride it, but not every time we go. If it was a 20 min wait we would ride every time.

I would skip the Matterhorn more often, but my kids love it so I endure the pain.

I've been to Toontown exactly once in the last 4-5 years. Sometimes I forget it's even there.

Last edited:
The Nemo Subs, rode them once (my very first trip to Disneyland). Hated every single second of it.
The Silly Symphony Swings in DCA - I could barely get off the ride and then fell to my knees trying to walk out. I wanted to lie there for a while but for some reason they wouldn't let me. Never again!
Peter Pan - Not worth the line, I do not get the madness surrounding this ride. I'll take Mr. Toad any day of the week over PP.
TS Midway Mania - I like the ride but it isn't worth a 45 minute wait.

Food skips are the Plaza Inn chicken - The devotion to that chicken I will never understand and as a rule I love fried chicken.

I think that is definitely varies by individual. For example, for our family, we never miss Fantasyland. We always go on several Fantasyland rides every single visit. Same thing for Indiana Jones. That's a "must do" for us.

We always skip:
Astro Orbiter
Silly Symphony Swings
Jumpin' Jelly Fish
Goofy's Sky School
California Screamin'
Golden Zephyr

Also, I've only ever heard bad things about the pizza at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port. Even CMs that work there have told me privately that they think it's bad. The vegetarian tacos at Rancho del Zocalo are very good, though. They're also gluten-free, I believe.

Also, I've only ever heard bad things about the pizza at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port. Even CMs that work there have told me privately that they think it's bad. The vegetarian tacos at Rancho del Zocalo are very good, though. They're also gluten-free, I believe.

If you ask for the gluten free pizza at pizza port they will make it for you fresh and it is very good. But I agree their regular pizza they have laying out is pretty bad.

The only rides I actively dislike are Autopia and the Nemo subs. Everything else I am fine to ride if other people want to do it (and I'll even ride the other two if someone REALLY wants to do it).

I generally pass over Bug's Land even though these days I spend about 70% of my time in DCA. I LOVE the swings though and I will ride those every time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter