Seaworld With 5 Year Old

Rigby

Mouseketeer
Hi all! I have an upcoming Seaworld day and it will be just my son and I. Having not been to Seaworld in over 30 years I was hoping to get suggestions on a plan for the day. We'll be hitting the place early and then leaving mid afternoon to meet mom for dinner. Thanks! :yay:

Even though he is 5, you might want to consider a stroller, especially if this is his first time at a park like these.

Since you are getting there early, try to hit the Antarctica first. You'll want to check what time it opens as sometimes it doesn't open at the same time as the park.

Even though he is 5, you might want to consider a stroller, especially if this is his first time at a park like these.

Since you are getting there early, try to hit the Antarctica first. You'll want to check what time it opens as sometimes it doesn't open at the same time as the park.

Thank you! Definitely bringing the stroller. We're dvc members so spend a lot time in the parks but Seaworld hasn't been on our radar. What's Antarctica? Anything else you recommend for a little guy?

If the park opens at 9 am the following is a pretty good plan. Do the typical get there 30 minutes before the park opens. When they dope the rope, head to Antarctica, do the ride and spend 4 minutes in the cold watching the penguins. Spend a few more in the heated viewing area. This should take about 30 minutes. Then go to dolphin stadium and watch blue horizons, right after the show, head to sea lion stadium and see the Clyde and Seamore show. That will get you to 11:25 or so, at this point make a quick stroll to Shamu's happy harbor. You will likely have the area to yourself until after the first shamu show. My kids can spend 45 minutes there easy.

From there the militant style touring can stop. If you want to see a shamu show you will likely have a couple of more options. I would suggest you do Wild Arctic, and the dolphin nursery and then see the 2pm Shamu show. After that work your way back around the lagoon stopping to see all of the exhibits and ending back at the entrance. If you are going to a day that doesn't open until 10, that is new and your options will be more limited. My best advice is get to Happy Harbor as early is possible. It is really fun when it is deserted. But that area often opens an hour after the park. I don't know if the staggered open happens on the 10 am days?

If the park opens at 9 am the following is a pretty good plan. Do the typical get there 30 minutes before the park opens. When they dope the rope, head to Antarctica, do the ride and spend 4 minutes in the cold watching the penguins. Spend a few more in the heated viewing area. This should take about 30 minutes. Then go to dolphin stadium and watch blue horizons, right after the show, head to sea lion stadium and see the Clyde and Seamore show. That will get you to 11:25 or so, at this point make a quick stroll to Shamu's happy harbor. You will likely have the area to yourself until after the first shamu show. My kids can spend 45 minutes there easy.

From there the militant style touring can stop. If you want to see a shamu show you will likely have a couple of more options. I would suggest you do Wild Arctic, and the dolphin nursery and then see the 2pm Shamu show. After that work your way back around the lagoon stopping to see all of the exhibits and ending back at the entrance. If you are going to a day that doesn't open until 10, that is new and your options will be more limited. My best advice is get to Happy Harbor as early is possible. It is really fun when it is deserted. But that area often opens an hour after the park. I don't know if the staggered open happens on the 10 am days?

Thank you!!! :yay:

I have not been to Sea World in a couple years, but in addition to @momto2js recommendations, I would add the following based on my children's experience (in no particular order): Stingray Lagoon, the Turtle Trek show (depending on the line, but it used to time well with the dolphin show), the Pets Ahoy show, the aquariums in the Journey to Atlantis area and the Manta area, and the Sea Garden area at the back of the park where they often have small animals with handlers.

You will have to plan a little for the shows based on the schedule the day you are there and what your son wants to see (seeing all of them by mid-afternoon may not be possible). I generally agree with @momto2js top three shows to see (Shamu, Blue Horizon, and Clyde and Seamore). If you have time for a fourth, I would add Pets Ahoy. The other stuff I listed are really just animal viewing opportunities that can be done pretty quickly, based on the time available.

I suggest reviewing recent trip reports with a park map in front of you. There are great reports from @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina and others that include lots of pictures to help you decide what to see. Have fun! I distinctly remember taking my son when he was 5, and he loved it!

ETA: You should also look into Shark Encounter, located at the back of the park. You can usually get through it pretty quickly, and it's very cool.

Last edited:
We went this year with my 2 daughters (8 and 10) and they had a blast.

Last time we went they were 3 and 5, so your sons age. I remember my oldest had a blast at the sea lion exhibit, we bought a few trays of fish and she had a great time feeding them.

We were there a few months ago and my 5 and 3 year olds loved it. I recommend the dolphin, shamu, and sea lion shows. The sea lion show is funny! My 5 year old is really into sharks and loved the shark display where you walk through and there are sharks next to you and above you. We also did the dolphin encounter which was really fun! Shamu's kiddie area was fun too.

Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin is a relatively new attraction to SW. It replaced the older penguin/puffin display.

Now its a ride/exhibit. The ride is ok. A 6? passenger pod takes you through the story of a penguin. The visuals are nice, but I don't think it would be worth more than a 10-15 minute wait. After the ride you exit into the viewing area.
Now, to me, this part is cool. It's an arctic habitat (cold, bring a light coat if you want to stay for a bit), for the penguins. Nice thing is there is no barrier, if it wanted to a penguin could swim and jump out of the water.
So you get an up close view of them. After that is another observation point in a more heated area to view the penguins swimming skills.

One nice thing is, you can just do the habitat part if you want an bypass the ride if the lines are long. Although I do remember walking by the attraction and seeing a 90min ride wait time and a 20 min walk through time.
This is why I would try to do this first thing in the morning.

Also what might be cool for your son is one of the animal close up experiences.
Seaworld has "encounters" and "up close tours". The encounters are shorter 10-15 min total, whereas the up close ones are about an hour. Prices are proportional (dolphin encounter is $15, up close is $45)

Decide what rides/attractions you want to do and then plan the order. Antarctica you do want to do early rather than later. The ride portion is cute, but not worth waiting a long time to do. With shows and set times it will make it a bit hard to plan a less than full day and still do all the things you want.

Do i understand it correctly that Shamu's Happy Harbour is always an hour later open than the park? So if the park opens at 9:00 than Happy harbour is open at 10:00?

I took my four (and 9 months- so almost five) year old in April and she loved the dolphin show, the sea lion show, and Pets Ahoy (it was her favorite so she saw it twice).

She did not like Shamu's Happy Harbor. Not at all. The rides were already too "boring" for her. She rode the Shamu coaster and cried. "That was the worst ride ever!"

She did, however, really like Journey to Atlantis. I would add that in if your son enjoys Splash Mountain or other bigger rides.

Antarctica was just okay for her. She was very cold and did not even want to watch the penguins at the end of the ride. I had a sweater for her, but she was still too cold to stay and enjoy the penguins.

She rode SkyTower and it was just okay for her. I think it is worth doing if there is no wait.

I might head straight to Antarctica and Journey to Atlantis (though it may not open until half an hour after park opening).

One of our favorite things was Dine with Shamu. Unfortunately, they don't tell you what time it is going to be until you arrive at the park, so you might miss it if you have to leave the park by mid afternoon. We booked a dinner show and were surprised to learn that the "dinner" show was at noon. o_O

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter