Seek advice about airfare

mom2rose&john

DIS Veteran
Basically what would you do post :flower1:

We currently have airfare for Feb 14, 2020 to MCO for our cruise so dates are not flexible. We paid a very high price and and that includes a booked one way free ticket. Well someone suggested to look at an airport 3.5 hours away and that would save us $800. Great, but there are drawbacks and that is where I seek advice. I am trying to do an apples to apples and am posting the actual current cost to anticipated cost to include travel costs, hotels and parking fees.

Current Airfare - $3,699.80

pros: 15 minutes from house.
SW TSA pre-check due to having to purchase Business select. Wanna get away sold out within minutes of release date.
Familiar with airport
cons: cost

To fly out of an airport 3.5 hours away from home

1,393.20airfare
120.00luggage
170.97hotel night before flight
84.00gas and tolls
100.00food
25.00lost fee on orig early bird purchase
122.40air using Southwest points, paying EB & fees
110.00car rental from port to MCO for the 2-22, flight departs at 6
215.00food
69.00travel
190.59hotel
98.00parking at airport
200.00misc exp

Pro - Save $800

Cons - travel 3.5 hrs is possibly bad weather
add a day before and after travel time (costs factored into savings)
unfamiliar with airport.

Any input is appreciated TIA.

I would probably just stick with southwest, at your home airport and keep an eye out if they have a sale. The risk of bad weather in Feb where I live is too great IMO, but I don't know where you live.

We also fly into MCO on the 14th btw. But no cruise this trip just the parks.

Many times the "Wanna Get Away" fares will show 'sold out' but come back at a later date. I have had that happen many times when booking over Spring Break or Holidays. Keep checking and hopefully you can rebook at at lower fare.

In my opinion it would not be worth the $800 to drive 3.5 hours to a different airport. I would keep the tickets you have now and keep checking flights. Also consider taking the last flight out on the 13th. For us the last flight of the night is usually the cheapest.

Many times the "Wanna Get Away" fares will show 'sold out' but come back at a later date. I have had that happen many times when booking over Spring Break or Holidays. Keep checking and hopefully you can rebook at at lower fare.

Ditto! I have had the same thing happen - repeatedly with SW.

For our December trip, I was watching for MONTHS, waiting for prices to come down to a reasonable level. They kept staying around $250-300 each way. And then boom, at two months out, they dropped to $200 round-trip. Sold! Thankfully, I did have some (limited) flexibility on dates, but it does happen.

I have another trip booked for the end of February. The dates were much less flexible (I am going to the Princess half marathon) so I booked them as soon as the dates opened. There is one flight that I would like to tweak the time on (if possible) so I have been stalking the rates. Everything is much higher than what I purchased them at, but I will keep watching.

I wouldn't rebook with a different airport. Just hold on for a bit and check daily (or twice a day). My travel partner and I tag-team on this and have had great luck with it.

When traveling we often put a lot of thought into the day (work the next day or off) and time we arrive back at home airport (mid-day, do I have time to stop at grocery store on way home? long drive/dark? traffic?), so for us at the end of the trip - we'd be dreading that 3 1/2 hour drive home at the end of a vacation & travel day.

I would choose convenience and pay extra for what makes the trip more enjoyable/less stressful. If you are looking for BUF to MCO, there are a couple Wanna Getaway fares on Thursday Feb 13. Not ideal times, but better than driving 3 1/2 hours each way. I can always find a way to spend an extra day in Orlando! :thumbsup2 We are usually stuck traveling on the most popular weeks, so I often mess around with dates a bit, but driving to other airports is not worth it for us.

If you have a big group traveling always search for 1 ticket first then increase it until you run out of WGA fares. When I search for 5 seats I sometimes don’t find any WGA available but there may be up to 4...

Re your specific dilemma, for only $800 no I probably wouldn’t jump through all those other hoops. Just keep an eye out for fare drops but if that’s school vacation week you won’t see any.

How many early SW flights are flying out of your airport? Are you flying the day of your cruise?

We are leaving on the earliest (6:30 am) direct flight the day before our cruise. The price was the same for all direct flights. Plus, I don't want to risk bad weather and if the flight is delayed or wont be too late when we arrive in Orlando.

I would choose convenience and pay extra for what makes the trip more enjoyable/less stressful.

Yep I agree.... I’ve been watching airfare for June for months and today I booked it... I did pay about $40 a person more than I budgeted for but I got perfect times, picked my seats and peace of mind knowing it’s done and won’t be having to pay more

It depends on a LOT of factors, but remember that your TIME is worth something too. What is 7 hours worth to you around a vacation? Opportunity cost is a very real thing - sometimes I don't mind spending the extra time to save hard cash, but other times my time is more valuable than the savings.

Another thing to consider - are you going to feel up to making that drive on the tail end? We had debated flying out of an airport 2 hrs away for cheaper fares, but ended up opting for the closer airport and I was SO grateful to only have a 45 minute drive home that day. Post-vacation exhaustion is a thing! If you didn't factor in a hotel near the airport the day you arrive home, consider what cost that would add so that you could be rested to drive home the day after you get back.

We are leaving on the earliest (6:30 am) direct flight the day before our cruise. The price was the same for all direct flights. Plus, I don't want to risk bad weather and if the flight is delayed or wont be too late when we arrive in Orlando.
so then don't you need lodging too if you use the SW option?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter