Seine River Cruise

tink1970

DCL Platinum
So I was scrolling through the ABD website and the itinerary for the 2019 Seine River Cruise is up (and on sale). I called to ask a couple of questions and the poor Vacationista kept insisting it wasn't out yet. Finally she saw what I was seeing and said that booking for Insiders will begin 1/23. I hope she has the correct information because this would be a great Girls Graduation Trip for DD, DM and me :)

Some interesting points...there are no triple bedded rooms but two single cabins available.

There are 2 days in Paris before boarding the ship.

She wasn't sure if the single cabins incurred the single supplement (important for me to know with the awkward 3!).

Looks like ABD has realized these adventures aren't as popular as they had thought so fewer booking dates available for all the river cruises AND the Seine has only 4 cruises- 2 for children with 2 adults only.

Oh-and if anyone is departing San Diego on a cruise they have pre cruise ABDs at Disneyland for 2018 up as well.

Waiting impatiently to book :)

Last edited:
Looks like ABD has realized these adventures aren't as popular as they had thought so fewer booking dates available for all the river cruises AND the Seine has only 4 cruises- 2 for children with 2 adults only.

It might just be because there are a lot fewer Seine river cruises in general. If you search on the Amawaterways website for 2018 and 2018 there are 532 Danube, 396 Rhine, and 81 Seine cruises upcoming.

It might just be because there are a lot fewer Seine river cruises in general. If you search on the Amawaterways website for 2018 and 2018 there are 532 Danube, 396 Rhine, and 81 Seine cruises upcoming.

Good point!

So I was scrolling through the ABD website and the itinerary for the 2019 Seine River Cruise is up (and on sale). I called to ask a couple of questions and the poor Vacationista kept insisting it wasn't out yet. Finally she saw what I was seeing and said that booking for Insiders will begin 1/23. I hope she has the correct information because this would be a great Girls Graduation Trip for DD, DM and me :)

Some interesting points...there are no triple bedded rooms but two single cabins available.

There are 2 days in Paris before boarding the ship.

She wasn't sure if the single cabins incurred the single supplement (important for me to know with the awkward 3!).

Oh-and if anyone is departing San Diego on a cruise they have pre cruise ABDs at Disneyland for 2018 up as well.

Waiting impatiently to book :)
I would certainly *HOPE* the single cabin wouldn't have a single supplement! It's much smaller & only has a twin bed. You can't *get* 2 people in that cabin. AMAWaterways has a wonderful way of making their small rooms seem not so small, so I'd have no hesitation booking a single room on one of their ships.

Sayhello

I would certainly *HOPE* the single cabin wouldn't have a single supplement! It's much smaller & only has a twin bed. You can't *get* 2 people in that cabin. AMAWaterways has a wonderful way of making their small rooms seem not so small, so I'd have no hesitation booking a single room on one of their ships.

Oh, me too! I pointed out to the Vacationista that capacity was listed as a double (error) and a child price was listed (also an error since you have to be 18 to be in a cabin...I know this painfully after sleeping in the same room with my DD [17] this past holiday cruise). It wouldn't be the first time I've called ABD and said "fix the website it's wrong." :)

I just think thiis whole piecemeal release of trips is weird! Not sure what the theory is behind it, but unless it's Japan I want to see the whole lineup. I wonder if given the lack of announcement and vacationista surprise whether someone screwed up and put these up early. The BSM add on is interesting but it's really short--only 2 days. Would have loved to see another day in the park.

Oh ABD, you are killing me with this one! A Siene river cruise is something we are really wanting to do, but only one offering during our summer break (June). We are already back in school by the time the August one ends. If there were a July offering, I'd be booking this right away. I know Tauck offers one but I like this itinerary better. Maybe more dates will be added...

I just heard about this and came over to the boards to hear what others know! I knew you guys wouldn’t disappoint

My Mom and I had already decided on a river cruise for 2019, now I have three to pick from instead of two and two was hard enough!!!!! Ugh

That’s, of course, assuming Japan isn’t announced! Then I’d have to try to talk my Mom into that one

I just heard about this and came over to the boards to hear what others know! I knew you guys wouldn’t disappoint

My Mom and I had already decided on a river cruise for 2019, now I have three to pick from instead of two and two was hard enough!!!!! Ugh

That’s, of course, assuming Japan isn’t announced! Then I’d have to try to talk my Mom into that one

Hard decision, definitely! I've been on the Danube and Rhine so the Seine is the next logical one, especially for a multigenerational girls' trip :)

My Mom would love love love to go back to Japan but since I pay for her overseas travel it won't happen for her. I bet your mother would go and enjoy the trip... most people really love it (I am clearly an anomaly) and I'm sure it would be done very well with ABD.

vacationista surprise whether someone screwed up and put these up early

I thought that too, especially when the Vacationista insisted it wasn't up. She mentioned expecting it to be released tomorrow and when I joked that IT had jumped the gun, she was so flummoxed she didn't laugh.:(

Oh ABD, you are killing me with this one! A Siene river cruise is something we are really wanting to do, but only one offering during our summer break (June). We are already back in school by the time the August one ends. If there were a July offering, I'd be booking this right away. I know Tauck offers one but I like this itinerary better. Maybe more dates will be added...
Same situation for us - already back in school for the August date. I love the itinerary though.

Hard decision, definitely! I've been on the Danube and Rhine so the Seine is the next logical one, especially for a multigenerational girls' trip :)

My Mom would love love love to go back to Japan but since I pay for her overseas travel it won't happen for her. I bet your mother would go and enjoy the trip... most people really love it (I am clearly an anomaly) and I'm sure it would be done very well with ABD.

So, having done both the Danube and Rhine what are your thoughts? Is there one you prefer over the other? I struggle because I'd love to do the Salt Mines, but my Mom is claustrophobic, so that would be out. She's also afraid of heights, so I think the option where you can participate in the tree path also wouldn't be an option. So, that leaves me thinking the Rhine would be an option. However, I'm holding out hope that my DH would join me on that one someday since he'd do the ziplining and would love the Mercedes and Porsche museum tour.

I think my Mom would like the Seine and going to Paris would be fun, but then I struggle with will it be too similar to the trip I'm doing in a couple of months with my husband for our anniversary. It really should not be THIS complicated :-) It isn't, I'm just overthinking it.

Would love to hear what your thoughts are on the two you've been on though. I'd love to do the September/October adult exclusives, but my mom doesn't drink, so the Food and Wine Rhine and the Oktoberfest Danube would be lost on her.

I just think thiis whole piecemeal release of trips is weird! Not sure what the theory is behind it, but unless it's Japan I want to see the whole lineup. I wonder if given the lack of announcement and vacationista surprise whether someone screwed up and put these up early. The BSM add on is interesting but it's really short--only 2 days. Would have loved to see another day in the park.
It looks like they have a "new" land-based version of the BSM add-on as a Weekend Getaway (although the itinerary seems to be a bit wrong, as it still describes going to San Diego after). They tried this once before, but configured a bit differently, and it didn't last. I'll be curious to see how this one does. I'd love to try it!

As far as the piecemeal thing is, it looks like it's mostly the cruise add-ons (which came out last week) and the River Cruises. Since Disney doesn't own the ships, I'm sure they have to get their dibs in *really* early, and I guess someone decided there was no reason to hold onto the info until April. It *is* rather confusing. I feel bad for the Vacationistas!

So, having done both the Danube and Rhine what are your thoughts? Is there one you prefer over the other? I struggle because I'd love to do the Salt Mines, but my Mom is claustrophobic, so that would be out. She's also afraid of heights, so I think the option where you can participate in the tree path also wouldn't be an option. So, that leaves me thinking the Rhine would be an option. However, I'm holding out hope that my DH would join me on that one someday since he'd do the ziplining and would love the Mercedes and Porsche museum tour.
The Salt Mines were very cool, and most of the time you are in large chambers, not little tunnels (although there are some tunnels). I guess it would depend on just how claustrophobic she was. But one of the pluses of these river cruises is, there are choices & alternatives. If you want to do the Salt Mines, your Mother could go on the tour of gorgeous Mondsee, and then you'd meet up in Salzburg for lunch, and continue the day together. You'll be on an ABD, I'm sure your Mom would be fine going to Mondsee without you! The same is true of the Tree path option. (Although I'm afraid of heights, and had no problems with this option! It's always a matter of degree.) On the afternoon of the Tree path excursion, there's an option to explore Passau on your own, and that's a real easy one, because you dock directly *in* Passau, easy walking distance to the shops and city center! Again, with a ship full of ABD folks, I can't imagine she won't find someone to hang with!

I would not rule out the Danube River cruise for those reasons! It's an excellent trip. I think you and your Mother would LOVE it!

Sayhello

It looks like they have a "new" land-based version of the BSM add-on as a Weekend Getaway (although the itinerary seems to be a bit wrong, as it still describes going to San Diego after). They tried this once before, but configured a bit differently, and it didn't last. I'll be curious to see how this one does. I'd love to try it!

As far as the piecemeal thing is, it looks like it's mostly the cruise add-ons (which came out last week) and the River Cruises. Since Disney doesn't own the ships, I'm sure they have to get their dibs in *really* early, and I guess someone decided there was no reason to hold onto the info until April. It *is* rather confusing. I feel bad for the Vacationistas!

The Salt Mines were very cool, and most of the time you are in large chambers, not little tunnels (although there are some tunnels). I guess it would depend on just how claustrophobic she was. But one of the pluses of these river cruises is, there are choices & alternatives. If you want to do the Salt Mines, your Mother could go on the tour of gorgeous Mondsee, and then you'd meet up in Salzburg for lunch, and continue the day together. You'll be on an ABD, I'm sure your Mom would be fine going to Mondsee without you! The same is true of the Tree path option. (Although I'm afraid of heights, and had no problems with this option! It's always a matter of degree.) On the afternoon of the Tree path excursion, there's an option to explore Passau on your own, and that's a real easy one, because you dock directly *in* Passau, easy walking distance to the shops and city center! Again, with a ship full of ABD folks, I can't imagine she won't find someone to hang with!

I would not rule out the Danube River cruise for those reasons! It's an excellent trip. I think you and your Mother would LOVE it!

Sayhello

Thanks for the insight. Oh, my mother will know the entire ship before the week is done :-) We go on ocean cruises and everyone thinks she's part of the cruise staff because she is everywhere doing everything and talking to everyone! :-)

I think I'll just call her and read off the options for excursions and then she can help me pick. She is no good with geography, and this will be her first trip to Europe, so she really is okay with me picking and she follows along.

I think she'd enjoy this as a first trip and then, if Japan is a reality, maybe we can look at it for another trip some other time.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I think my Mom would like the Seine and going to Paris would be fun, but then I struggle with will it be too similar to the trip I'm doing in a couple of months with my husband for our anniversary. It really should not be THIS complicated :-) It isn't, I'm just overthinking it.

Would love to hear what your thoughts are on the two you've been on though. I'd love to do the September/October adult exclusives, but my mom doesn't drink, so the Food and Wine Rhine and the Oktoberfest Danube would be lost on her.

@sayhello beat me to my response! I was completely surprised at how much I loved the Danube cruise! To be honest, it was never on my radar and it was a wonderful trip and I enjoyed it more than the Rhine much to my surprise. I loved the little town of Mondsee and if you're mom is social and outgoing, doesn't sound like she'd have a problem with going with some of her new cruise friends while you did the salt mines. If she's easy to amuse and independent you can go on what interests you and she can do the same thing...the shore excursions are pretty flexible. I tend to stay on the ship for an entire day or more while DH and DD go off and explore (they apparently handle jet lag better than I do!) which is one reason I really enjoy the river cruise format.

It looks like they have a "new" land-based version of the BSM add-on as a Weekend Getaway (although the itinerary seems to be a bit wrong, as it still describes going to San Diego after).

My understanding is that these are pre-cruise short ABDs, sort of like the ones in Barcelona and Copenhagen. Odd to me that they are released only 3 months before the sailings (2018 dates) but what do I know?

I would not rule out the Danube River cruise for those reasons! It's an excellent trip

Totally agree! If DD didn't have assignments over Christmas break we'd be going on it again this year.

@sayhelloMy understanding is that these are pre-cruise short ABDs, sort of like the ones in Barcelona and Copenhagen. Odd to me that they are released only 3 months before the sailings (2018 dates) but what do I know?
I have no idea why they waited so late, either. But it's both. There is a pre-cruise version that starts in Anaheim, and ends in San Diego at the port, but there's *also* a stand-alone "Disneyland® Resort and Southern California Short Escape" land version that just showed up under the North American land destinations. I can't imagine why it would show under the land tours unless it was available on it's own. Unless that's an error, too.

Sayhello

I have no idea why they waited so late, either. But it's both. There is a pre-cruise version that starts in Anaheim, and ends in San Diego at the port, but there's *also* a stand-alone "Disneyland® Resort and Southern California Short Escape" land version that just showed up under the North American land destinations. I can't imagine why it would show under the land tours unless it was available on it's own. Unless that's an error, too.

Oh bless their hearts, someone is going rogue in ABD's IT today. Hope someone figures these things out and straightens them up!

@sayhello, with single bed availability does the Seine tempt you at all?

Oh bless their hearts, someone is going rogue in ABD's IT today. Hope someone figures these things out and straightens them up!

@sayhello, with single bed availability does the Seine tempt you at all?
I haven't really looked at it, I'm not familiar with the ports at all. It *might* tempt me another year, but I'm pretty certain I'm either doing Japan with ABD :) in 2019 or going to Hawaii. But it definitely would tempt me in 2020. The idea of doing another river cruise without having to pay double is *very* tempting!

Sayhello

I got all excited about this and then saw it included a land based pre-stay. I hope they consider un-bundling the land and river portions because I would love to just do the cruise portion. I also hope that someone accidentally posts the rest of the 2019 new trips soon. I'm going to be obsessively checking.

Well, ABD has formally announced the Seine river cruise on facebook. So I guess it's official now. I wonder if they planned to announce it today, or if IT forced their hands?

Sayhello

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter