Sensory issues and face masks?? NO DEBATE, suggestions only

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACJT

DIS Veteran
If Disney World follows Shanghai’s lead as well Disney Springs guidelines (regarding face masks) I’m concerned for parents with children with sensory issue. We often have enough trouble getting and keeping shoes on our ASD son. ....I can’t fathom trying to even get a mask on him! I understand Some people have other medical issues that make masks unwearable too.

What do you think Disney’s response to these type of issues will be.

If Disney World follows Shanghai’s lead as well Disney Springs guidelines (regarding face masks) I’m concerned for parents with children with sensory issue. We often have enough trouble getting and keeping shoes on our ASD son. ....I can’t fathom trying to even get a mask on him! I understand Some people have other medical issues that make masks unwearable too.

We are struggling with this issue just in our everyday lives. One of my DD's therapists has a husband with cancer, and he completed chemotherapy in early March, just before our state started shutting everything down. We've been doing therapy over videoconferencing, but will need to get back to in-person sessions at some point. The therapist really understands DD's sensory issues, but she also knows that to keep her husband safe she has to do everything she can to prevent herself from getting it, and that is going to mean she and her clients will have to wear masks for at least a little while. So far, we've just been discussing the issue in small doses each week on our video appointments. I've made sure DD has seen news reports with people wearing masks and have explained to her why they are important. I have asthma, so I'm at increased risk if I were to get the virus. She sees that every time I head out to pick up a grocery order, or the few times I've had to run errands other than the grocery, I have a mask that I wear. She's seen it on me. I had her shop Etsy with me for Disney-themed masks, and I ordered some that she liked. They just arrived today and are currently in the washing machine. The next step will be getting DD to try them on. I have my fingers crossed she might at least try them to see what it looks like to have a Minnie Mouse mask on her face. From there we will work on getting her acclimated to them. I made sure to add a few 1/2 gallons of ice cream to our last grocery order and my plan is to reward ever increasing mask wearing time with ice cream. We'll see how it goes.

Even outside of her therapist, I think mask wearing is going to be a significant part of our lives if we want to be out in public for the next year or two. We can't stay cooped up forever, and there are a lot of places that are requiring masks. For us, we have to deal with this whether we have a Disney trip planned or not.

I agree this is something we'll need to do for pretty much any outings in the not-so-distant future and it isn't likely to be optional -- doctors/dentists/therapist appointments, visiting older relatives or neighbors (or any in-person visits really), malls and stores, church, etc. Even outdoor activities in small groups (which will be allowed around here starting next week) requiring a mask.

DD understands the need to wear a one but she struggles with it. We've practiced a bit and will do more. Maybe try some different styles. At the moment we're using a bandana instead of a mask with ear loops. You could also try a mask that ties behind the head (if the ears are sensitive). My husband has used a ski mask a couple of times, and I'm thinking of making something like that with lighter weight fabric (I think I have an old pattern for an animal hood from a Halloween costume).

Good luck!

This doesn't really address the sensory issues, but could it help to make it into a little bit of a game? Like use cloth masks in certain colors/patterns to look like a Ninja/superhero/fav character along with a shirt and maybe even a cape to enhance the look. Then when going out (whether to Disney or the store or wherever) pretend that they're a ninja or superhero on a mission to get to the next ride/spot the hidden mickey or in a store to find the ____ in the aisle without touching and use their x-ray vision to determine the best one for you to grab.

I understand that not all those on the spectrum would be able to understand something like this, but for those that can, maybe it would help to take some of the scariness away from the idea of the mask. I get too that in most cases it's probably the feel of the mask against their face, but I was wondering if maybe the distraction of turning it into a game/feeling like a superhero doing something super important might help at all.

My hubs work with a couple of people who take a pair of pantyhose or tights, (ladies size) and cut across the thigh twice, several inches apart. This makes a soft, seamless band of nylon fabric that you can then wear by placing it over the head, and stretching the nylon out to it's original "leg" shape across the face and around the head. They can then insert a soft fabric (bandana or even just folded Jersey T-shirt material) across the nose and mouth, and it eliminates the need for ear loops entirely, and (if you have the right size hosiery to begin with) should stay on comfortably with no need for adjustment.

They got a lot of teasing from the other guys at work until they saw how well it worked.

As a double-extra bonus, nylon stockings/hosiery is actually considered to be a good fabric filter material.

It may not work for your son, but one mom to another, I wanted to let you know about it as a possible option to try.

These are some great suggestions. I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness you’ve put into your suggestions. Hopefully others will keep them coming as I’m sure they will be beneficial to someone.

Our son is unfortunately non verbal and has a severe Intellectual impairment. When cutting his hair, trimming around the ears can’t be done until he’s sleeping using only scissors so not to wake him with the vibration and noise of clippers. Things like sunglasses, balaclavas and shirts with tight or large collars are a complete no go. He now will no longer wear a helmet of any type, which unfortunately means he can no longer enjoy going for rides on certain recreational vehicles etc. His slowly increasing ASD severity is robbing him of so many things he once enjoyed. My fear is that his annual trips to see Mickey might be next?? Hopefully any requirements to wear face masks will be short term and phased out as the Covid threat dies down.

His slowly increasing ASD severity is robbing him of so many things he once enjoyed. My fear is that his annual trips to see Mickey might be next?? Hopefully any requirements to wear face masks will be short term and phased out as the Covid threat dies down.

No one really knows at this point what the future holds, but I'm refusing to let myself think that this is a permanent change in how we live. My mindset is that these are things we have to do for the next 2 years and by then one of a few things will have happened: 1) an effective vaccine will be discovered and deployed, 2) the virus.will have mutated to less serious form, and/or 3) most people will have gotten it, recovered, and developed a lasting immunity to it. I am not letting my mind fixate on the possibility that these changes are permanent because those 3 things may not happen. I have made myself accept that we won't be traveling for the next year, which is disappointing but reasonable given the circumstances, and I discard any thoughts about life beyond 2 years out. So for now, continue to hold onto that hope that this is a short-term thing and eventually mask wearing won't be needed. It's the only way to stay sane.

These are some great suggestions. I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness you’ve put into your suggestions. Hopefully others will keep them coming as I’m sure they will be beneficial to someone.

Our son is unfortunately non verbal and has a severe Intellectual impairment. When cutting his hair, trimming around the ears can’t be done until he’s sleeping using only scissors so not to wake him with the vibration and noise of clippers. Things like sunglasses, balaclavas and shirts with tight or large collars are a complete no go. He now will no longer wear a helmet of any type, which unfortunately means he can no longer enjoy going for rides on certain recreational vehicles etc. His slowly increasing ASD severity is robbing him of so many things he once enjoyed. My fear is that his annual trips to see Mickey might be next?? Hopefully any requirements to wear face masks will be short term and phased out as the Covid threat dies down.

It sounds like you've got your answer figured out - if a Disney trip involves wearing a mask to keep safe, and someone can't wear a mask, then it's not a good time to go to a crazy-crowded, people from all over place location like WDW. To be honest, I'm not going until I don't have to wear a mask, because wearing the mask means we are still at some level of risk and a Disney trip is not an essential in my world and not worth the risk to myself or others. But that's only my world, and others may have a different view.

Going to Disney in the summer and having to wear a face mask has no appeal to me. So, how could I expect my ASD child to do any better 😀. I agree. It makes more sense to wait till the risk has subsided to go and then face masks will be a non issue. Also, even if Disney made exceptions, I don’t know if I would want to be dealing with stares and judgement for being the parent of a child with no protection.
My only other concern is what Disney will do about my resort reservation ? Will there be cancellation flexibility if there is no change in face mask policy closer to our travel dates. ?

Assuming that masks will be required in the parks, I think Disney will not require them of guests with sensory issues. If they see parents wearing the masks and a kid or two here or there without them, they'll probably typically give it a pass without even inquiring (except maybe once inquiring at the front gate). This is Disney that we're talking about- they tend to be relaxed about the enforcement of guest rules. They also know that a fair number of the children they serve have sensory issues, and that it's hard to keep masks on children at all for an extended period. They might even exempt children from the mask requirement, as many locations that require masks do.

Last edited:
Going to Disney in the summer and having to wear a face mask has no appeal to me. So, how could I expect my ASD child to do any better 😀. I agree. It makes more sense to wait till the risk has subsided to go and then face masks will be a non issue. Also, even if Disney made exceptions, I don’t know if I would want to be dealing with stares and judgement for being the parent of a child with no protection.
My only other concern is what Disney will do about my resort reservation ? Will there be cancellation flexibility if there is no change in face mask policy closer to our travel dates. ?
Assuming that masks will be required in the parks, I think Disney will not require them of guests with sensory issues. If they see parents wearing the masks and a kid or two here or there without them, they'll probably typically give it a pass without even inquiring (except maybe once inquiring at the front gate). This is Disney that we're talking about- they tend to be relaxed about the enforcement of guest rules. They also know that a fair number of the children they serve have sensory issues, and that it's hard to keep masks on children at all for an extended period. They might even exempt children from the mask requirement, as many locations do.

If someone can't wear a mask, are they really going to risk getting the virus, or giving someone else the virus, just for a Disney trip?

If someone can't wear a mask, are they really going to risk getting the virus, or giving someone else the virus, just for a Disney trip?
That’s a good point. However will there be those who have been positive and recovered who won’t be at risk or pose a risk ?? I’m no doctor

Face masks are not a magical shield guaranteed to prevent the spread of Covid. There is no scientific evidence that the cloth ones even work. They're recommended on the assumption that they stop large particles from being spread from the mouth to others, but they don't stop smaller particles, and also, the germs spread by people (especially kids) fiddling with their masks, and then touching surfaces that others later touch, is another vector of germs. Plus, many people do not wash their reusable masks every day, which contributes to the level of germs and bacteria on them, which gets spread via people touching their masks and then touching objects (such as at the gift shops...). This is part of the reason why the World Health Organization still recommends against community-wide mask usage.

Covid can be spread with or without masks. Even the CDC acknowledges that and therefore reminds people to not get complacent while their masks are on. Yes, plenty of people would be happy to go to Disney World now. Some want to wear masks there, and some don't.

Assuming that masks will be required in the parks, I think Disney will not require them of guests with sensory issues. If they see parents wearing the masks and a kid or two here or there without them, they'll probably typically give it a pass without even inquiring (except maybe once inquiring at the front gate). This is Disney that we're talking about- they tend to be relaxed about the enforcement of guest rules. They also know that a fair number of the children they serve have sensory issues, and that it's hard to keep masks on children at all for an extended period. They might even exempt children from the mask requirement, as many locations that require masks do.

I would hope that if masks are required due to safety concerns that Disney would stringently enforce, with no exceptions.

Last edited:
I think Disney will not require them of guests with sensory issues.
I won’t get into the debate about whether use of masks helps prevent spread. Let’s leave that topic for the Community Board.

My guess is that requirement of guest use of face masks at WDW would depend on local/state health department rules. A recommendation of face mask use would allow for leniency. If required for public health reasons, I don’t know that there would be leniency for a non-essential activity like a vacation. Grocery stores here have zero leniency and do deny access or make people leave. Otherwise there is no value to the requirement and it is unenforceable at a place like WDW if some are allowed exceptions. Every person who finds them uncomfortable (and really who doesn’t) would simply claim “sensory issues” and not wear one.

Start getting your kid used to it now. Buy different kinds and see what works best. We have about 6 different types of masks at home and have only found 2 that my son will tolerate, and even then, it can't loop behind his ears, so we attached Disney pins to his hat and hooked them over the pins. My son doesn't like scratchy fabric, fabric that makes him too hot, etc. From the images online, the Disney branded ones seem like they will work for us, so I ordered 3 sets. I also way overpaid for a box of 50 surgical masks only because if all else fails, he will wear those because they are super lightweight.

Start practicing at home and explain that there may be places that he HAS to wear the mask, if he wants to go.

My guess is that requirement of guest use of face masks at WDW would depend on local/state health department rules. A recommendation of face mask use would allow for leniency. If required for public health reasons, I don’t know that there would be leniency for a non-essential activity like a vacation. Grocery stores here have zero leniency and do deny access or make people leave. Otherwise there is no value to the requirement and it is unenforceable at a place like WDW if some are allowed exceptions. Every person who finds them uncomfortable (and really who doesn’t) would simply claim “sensory issues” and not wear one.
Actually, Disney World is private property, so even if no law requires it, they can make masks required for entering and staying on their property if they wish, which would mean they might deny entry or remove guests for noncompliance. They could also choose to be lenient about their requirement as they saw fit. Disney can also choose to recommend masks, which means it's entirely up to each guest whether to wear them or not.

So even if Disney says they're required, as long as there is no law requiring the masks, it's Disney's call as to how diligently they enforce the rule.

Here's another example: A mask requirement was once required in my city, until the governor overrode that upon reopening the state, and local mask laws were nullified. However, angry local politicians pointed out that private businesses could still require masks on their property as they see fit, and some of them do. Some don't, including some supermarkets. Since there is no law, it's all up to the business owner.

So even if Disney says they're required, as long as there is no law requiring the masks, it's Disney's call as to how diligently they enforce the rule.
True. My point was that I doubt WDW will require use if the local/state rules don’t also. I don’t see WDW setting more strict rules than they have to, especially to then allow leniency and not enforce it. Just my opinion. We’ll see what WDW actually decides and when.

I would recommend working with an occupational therapist to help him get use to a mask. Even if its not for Disney per se, there will be many stores, buildings, even schools that could require them for the coming months even after things start opening up. It could severely limit his ability to move about the world in general if he will not wear a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter