Sensory issues and face masks?? NO DEBATE, suggestions only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking of replaying to this for a long time and never had the chance to so here is my replay

first, a little background on me and my using a mask and why.

I have asthma for most of my life dust is one big trigger for me the only mask that I can use are n95
I also have lung capacity of about 60-70% and I inhale more then I exhale ( so I struggle to breathe in my normal life without a mask)

When I do dust I can keep an N95 mask on for about 10-15 minutes depending on how cool it is inside

I also have a tic disorder that involves movement of my face and a mask makes it worst and some sensitivity to having a mask on.

so over the years, I have learned a few things.

not all masks are the same even n95 ones there are some masks I can not even put on for more than 1 second before needing to take it off but there are some that fit and feel so much better so I would buy a few different types of mask. there are flat masks, ones that are more formed like cups, and reusable cloth ones. ones that have air vents in them. For me, the use of the ones with vines works best and is the most comfortable. cloth n95 mask this one is similar to the one I use.

It might not me necessary to use N95 mask ones that you see your dentist use might be enough like mask might work too you can also find washable ones ( Disney is selling then)

one thing I do when I know I need my mask for a while is I put one of my favorite sents in the mask I use very little and each time I take a deep breath I get whatever sent I am using and this has helped a lot also my mask can go behind the ears or you can use this small attachment to put the strap around your head so I ten to do both and change back and forth when I can.

I know not everyone can use a mask, but I would try a few different ones before you give up altogether and see if one works better then other

Why would you want to take your non mask wearing family member to Disney before they have a handle on this thing? I have a trip booked for October, and am debating going with a mask, as I have asthma. I don't want to catch Covid.

Are all of the other guests expected to trust that those without masks are not infected?

Why would you want to take your non mask wearing family member to Disney before they have a handle on this thing? I have a trip booked for October, and am debating going with a mask, as I have asthma. I don't want to catch Covid.

Are all of the other guests expected to trust that those without masks are not infected?

Everyone’s thoughts and opinions on the effectiveness of masks is different, and I’m not getting into that here. Obviously you have different thoughts/opinions on the effectiveness of masks than me - that’s great, and I respect that.

Everyone’s opinions and thoughts on this virus and where they should take their family during its course is different - again, I respect that yours may be different than mine.

No, IMO, you can’t trust that anyone is Covid-free anywhere. So you will need to go at your own risk - knowing that if mask exemptions are allowed, there will be people there who won’t be wearing them. If that is a risk you cannot take - then you have your answer. For us - unmasked people don’t bother us at all. So there’s our answer.

I imagine would have to be exceptions to wearing masks for individuals with certain disabilities per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Under the ADA, just like with service animals, the business is not allowed to ask what your medical condition is.
While the requirement to provide accommodations is quite broad under ADA, accommodations that create a safety risk are not typically not included

These are some great suggestions. I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness you’ve put into your suggestions. Hopefully others will keep them coming as I’m sure they will be beneficial to someone.

Our son is unfortunately non verbal and has a severe Intellectual impairment. When cutting his hair, trimming around the ears can’t be done until he’s sleeping using only scissors so not to wake him with the vibration and noise of clippers. Things like sunglasses, balaclavas and shirts with tight or large collars are a complete no go. He now will no longer wear a helmet of any type, which unfortunately means he can no longer enjoy going for rides on certain recreational vehicles etc. His slowly increasing ASD severity is robbing him of so many things he once enjoyed. My fear is that his annual trips to see Mickey might be next?? Hopefully any requirements to wear face masks will be short term and phased out as the Covid threat dies down.
While there are certainly sensory defensiveness that our kids cannot overcome, tolerance can be significantly impacted by the benefit. I would suggest that once WDW is open and we get pictures and videos of the parks with guests in masks at his favorite attractions and that they be included in your preparation for the visit along with whatever level of "practice" that in practical

Just a FYI, today it was announced that Disney's deal with its workers union is that all guests will be absolutely required to wear masks. Normally the ADA would protect discrimination, but in the event of a health emergency private companies can make this a requirement.

https://orlando-rising.com/mandator...sney-world-union-deal-on-covid-19-safeguards/

Yep, that doesn’t say anything about not allowing exemptions for disabilities. And as I said previously, Disney told me the initial press release/statement may make it seem like there would be no exemptions, but that wouldn’t be the case.

Universal already stated publicly that they are allowing exemptions. And airlines are also giving exemptions and have told their employees not to enforce mask-wearing. Disney will follow suit.

Yep, that doesn’t say anything about not allowing exemptions for disabilities. And as I said previously, Disney told me the initial press release/statement may make it seem like there would be no exemptions, but that wouldn’t be the case.

Universal already stated publicly that they are allowing exemptions. And airlines are also giving exemptions and have told their employees not to enforce mask-wearing. Disney will follow suit.

From what I can find from Universal
"Will I have to wear a face covering? What if I don’t have one?
Yes
– all guests will be required to wear a face covering during their visit. We will also have face coverings available for purchase.

If a guest has a disability that prevents them from wearing a facial covering, they’ll be directed to our Guest Services team to discuss reasonable accommodations."

No where does it state they will make an exemption to wearing a mask. All they say is they will discuss an accommodation.

If people are banking on being able to walk around with a mask on, they are taking a risk with a large sum of money.

Airlines are a totally different thing. You have no one who can step in, talk to the offender, and remove them if necessary. Not smart to start an altercation up in the air.

From what I can find from Universal
"Will I have to wear a face covering? What if I don’t have one?
Yes
– all guests will be required to wear a face covering during their visit. We will also have face coverings available for purchase.

If a guest has a disability that prevents them from wearing a facial covering, they’ll be directed to our Guest Services team to discuss reasonable accommodations."

No where does it state they will make an exemption to wearing a mask. All they say is they will discuss an accommodation.

If people are banking on being able to walk around with a mask on, they are taking a risk with a large sum of money.

Well, I called Universal and asked just to clear this up. They told me the accommodation for someone my sons age would be to not have to wear a mask - so there you go! They said accommodations were different based on age/disability.

Well, I called Universal and asked just to clear this up. They told me the accommodation for someone my sons age would be to not have to wear a mask - so there you go! They said accommodations were different based on age/disability.

Unfortunately I think we all know you can be told one thing over the phone, and experience something totally different in the park.

Not saying that won't be the accommodation someone would get, but saying don't be surprised if you are told something different when you are there in person. And saying "But I was told X over the phone" won't be of any help.

Unfortunately I think we all know you can be told one thing over the phone, and experience something totally different in the park.

Very true. I still think they will allow it, though.

Listen, I get that un-masked people bother you. I can respect that. Do you have a very young autistic child? If not, can you please respect how incredibly hard this is? We cannot and will not realistically be able to stay away from these places long-te if mask-wearing is the new normal. We are DVC members. We aren’t planning a trip anytime soon. But when we do, my 5 year old may have huge chunks of time he is mask-less. And it sounds like both Universal and Disney will be OK with it.

Very true. I still think they will allow it, though.

Listen, I get that un-masked people bother you. I can respect that. Do you have a very young autistic child? If not, can you please respect how incredibly hard this is? We cannot and will not realistically be able to stay away from these places long-te if mask-wearing is the new normal. We are DVC members. We aren’t planning a trip anytime soon. But when we do, my 5 year old may have huge chunks of time he is mask-less. And it sounds like both Universal and Disney will be OK with it.

I have not said un-masked people bother me. I am saying someone shouldn't plan a trip counting on Disney allowing their child to go without a mask. None of us have no idea what will happen once the parks are allowed to open. And it is a seriously bad idea to spend thousands of dollars on a trip depending on Disney making an exception to wearing a mask.

Btw, as I posted earlier I considered to be in the at risk group, and am struggling with a planned trip to WDW this fall. It is a struggle for many people.

I have not said un-masked people bother me. I am saying someone shouldn't plan a trip counting on Disney allowing their child to go without a mask. None of us have no idea what will happen once the parks are allowed to open. And it is a seriously bad idea to spend thousands of dollars on a trip depending on Disney making an exception to wearing a mask.

Btw, as I posted earlier I considered to be in the at risk group, and am struggling with a planned trip to WDW this fall. It is a struggle for many people.

I totally agree, and it’s why I’m not planning a trip for now. I can see where you are coming from - you are in an at-risk group, and everyone wearing masks probably makes you feel safer. None of us here are at-risk, and my belief on the effectiveness of masks is likely different than yours, thus making my feelings about all of this very different then yours.

I don’t begrudge anyone’s opinions on this very difficult subject - but everyone is coming from a different place on it. I am coming from years of fighting for my son to be included in a world that constantly wants to push him out - I would never break any rules, but I absolutely would take advantage of anything offered to make things easier for my family.❤️

No, IMO, you can’t trust that anyone is Covid-free anywhere. So you will need to go at your own risk - knowing that if mask exemptions are allowed, there will be people there who won’t be wearing them. If that is a risk you cannot take

No one is safe from bad reactions from contracting COVID though - not even little kids. Not everyone has knowledge that they have some condition that puts them at risk of death or severe consequences of having COVID. SO, you could think you and your kids are healthy enough to survive getting it, but you never know, do you? Is a Disney trip worth that risk?

Yup, not the time to do any of those things, because no one knows who has the virus, mask or not. And if we still need to wear masks, there will be idiots who think they can get away with not wearing one, claim a disability or some such. And who is to say the people with a disability who are not wearing masks are not spreading COVID as well?

I totally agree, and it’s why I’m not planning a trip for now. I can see where you are coming from - you are in an at-risk group, and everyone wearing masks probably makes you feel safer. None of us here are at-risk, and my belief on the effectiveness of masks is likely different than yours, thus making my feelings about all of this very different then yours.

I don’t begrudge anyone’s opinions on this very difficult subject - but everyone is coming from a different place on it. I am coming from years of fighting for my son to be included in a world that constantly wants to push him out - I would never break any rules, but I absolutely would take advantage of anything offered to make things easier for my family.❤

Everyone is in an at-risk group at this point - there's no guarantee anyone has the ability to make it through COVID-19 without serious consequences.

But consider this - it this the mountain you want to climb for your son - risking other people's lives over a vacation? You stated that you are not planning a trip right now. Thank you for not risking his life, or someone else's, over a vacation. We're not even halfway through any of this, IMO, and it's just not time to push the mask/no mask issues. Maybe in a few months, maybe next spring, who knows? But a trip to Disney is not worth risking anyone's life.

Anyone who is going to Disney when it reopens is risking their life, whether or not people have masks on. And the thing is, even though we won’t be there in 2020, there will be 10 more in our place who will go maskless due to exemptions. Everyone willing to go when it reopens needs to be OK with that reality. It’s not going to be 100 percent safe with 100 percent compliance 100 percent of the time.

Yes, eventually, if mask-wearing became a permanent thing, it would be a mountain I will climb for my son. But like you said, I’m not there yet.

No. Just 1,000 times No.

That’s fantastic that your family members made that CHOICE for their son. It was their CHOICE. My son is not that severely disabled, but we made the CHOICE when he was diagnosed of the complete opposite of your family - that he would live the most normal life possible. And we have been very successful. He functions very close to normal out in public because we made this CHOICE and work very hard at it.

Disabled individuals have a right to vacations. Obviously their loved ones can decide not to take them on any vacations, and that is their CHOICE. But it is also my CHOICE to bring my son wherever I want to that allows unmasked people with disabilities. It’s not flaunting the requirements or demanding anything if Disney allows exemptions for those with disabilities. I will bring him there. If Disney says it’s OK, then I wouldn’t be breaking any rules. All of the airlines that are now requiring face masks have made exemptions for the disabled, and I expect Disney to follow suit. It may not be apparent in any initial statement that comes out just like with the airlines, but it will be something I’ll be able to get confirmation on before traveling.

It is very, very easy to tell other parents how to parent, or other people what they should do. You have absolutely NO idea what you would do unless you actually were in my situation. I thought the same way as you until I was given a special child.

All of the people who clearly aren’t disabled or caring for a disabled person in their home need to get off this thread. Your interest in this comes from a different place.

As the mother of a high functioning autistic son, can I just say THANK YOU for this post.

I might be overly cautious, but in the heat of "everyone should" wear masks, wanted to point out the CDC guidance actually says, "Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance."

I just saw this on Disney park blog Facebook thst 3 and up must were a mask they said nothing about people with disabilities ( not saying they will or will not accommodate people that can not just that they said under 3 will not need a mask) for Disney springs.

Attachments

• 38F719D4-2077-4752-89DF-2DDD583FEE6B.jpeg
    38F719D4-2077-4752-89DF-2DDD583FEE6B.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter