September "New Beginnings" Exercise Thread

Hi Everyone :wave: Sorry for the late update - crazy morning!

My current total is 180/600, and the team is at 2,686 minutes!!! :cheer2:

Today's new beginning is the Disney Channel, which premiered on April 18, 1983 with "Good Morning, Mickey!"

15 minutes on the mini-trampoline since my last post, for 195/600.

The team stands at 32% with a little over 1,500 minutes to go to Possibilities Purple.

Our next Disney Beginning happened on February 15, 1984 with the debut of Touchstone Pictures:

The first film released under the Touchstone Pictures banner made waves on the big screen in 1984 with the hit Splash starring Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah. Since then, The Walt Disney Studios has released over 200 films from Touchstone Pictures, including Good Morning Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, Pretty Woman, Sister Act, Father of the Bride, Con Air, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Step Up, and The Proposal.

In 2009, The Walt Disney Studios finalized a film distribution agreement with the independently owned DreamWorks Studios, whose films including the critically acclaimed The Help and Steven Spielberg's War Horse and Lincoln are released via Touchstone.

(from ~ https://www.waltdisneystudios.com/)

The division was created by Ron Miller, Walt's son-in-law and CEO of the Disney company from 1978 to 1984:

Miller was...responsible for starting a separate film label, Touchstone, to handle subject matter that might not have been appropriate for the more family-oriented brand of Walt Disney Pictures. The story of the creation of Touchstone is just one of the examples of Miller's struggles to keep the Disney Company a pioneer in the entertainment industry.

"We believe that, fairly or unfairly, we were stereotyped as to the kind of film we would consider for production and so there were a lot of very good scripts that we never had the opportunity to see. Kramer Vs. Kramer, On Golden Pond, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ordinary People, Wargames and of course, E.T. and several other award winning films," said Miller in a 1984 interview. "We would have been prevented from doing those films under the Disney banner for a variety of reasons, including language, intensity, adult situations and violence. Yet, they are all excellent films of very high quality. We believe that will definitely change with Touchstone and we will attract a broader range of production and creative talent for future filmmaking efforts."

Some claim that the origins of Touchstone Pictures can be traced to the release of The Black Hole in 1979, a science fiction film that received a PG (rather than the traditional Disney G) rating. Over the next few years, other Disney PG films including Tron, Never Cry Wolf and Trenchcoat sparked controversy over the subject matter and approach to the subject matter.

"To the average movie-goer, the name Disney has special meaning, imagery and identification," explained Miller. "The Walt Disney name is probably the most definitive and, at the same time, the most highly favorable of any of the motion picture companies with respect to unsurpassed family oriented entertainment of the highest quality. However, the strength of the Disney association with fine family entertainment can have a pronounced adverse effect on our ability to broaden our marketing and production horizons. I believe that some very fine Disney films in recent years, with more adult themes, have faltered at the box office because of it. For example, films like Night Crossing, Tex and Tron. Also, as I have said previously, Touchstone will allow us to maintain the inherent strength of the Disney tradition without tampering with the legacy."

(from Mouseplanet)

According to https://www.ranker.com/list/touchstone-pictures-films-and-movies/reference, these are the top ten Touchstone Pictures movies:

1. Good Morning, Vietnam
  2. Armageddon
  3. 10 Things I Hate About You
  4. Dead Poets Society
  5. Sister Act
  6. The Prestige
  7. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  8. Can't Buy Me Love
  9. Sweet Home Alabama
  10. Con Air

Mickey Question.png How many have you seen? And which one is your favorite?

::yes:: I've seen 7 out of 10, and my favorites are Armageddon and Sister Act.

:yay: :yay: :yay: Happy exercising, everyone! :yay: :yay: :yay:

This was very interesting to read. I did not know this. I have seen 7 of the films. I saw Good Morning Vietnam in the theater when I was about 7 or 8. My dad took us to see this movie because he wanted to see it and of course could not leave us home. My mom was not happy. I still remember so much of that movie. I have only seen it that once.

The rest I was much older and I think my favorite is Sweet Home Alabama.

35 minute walk yesterday and about 10 minutes of hauling bags and boxes downstairs due to a decluttering frenzy

870/1500

I've seen 6 of the top 10 Touchstone films. Most of them I don't remember very clearly, but Good Morning, Vietnam and Dead Poets Society have stuck with me, so I'll say those are my favorites.

I've only seen a few of those movies, but O Brother Where Art Thou is one of my favorite movies of all time.
Adding 15 minutes from Wednesday walking around the mall after work, 65 minutes from yesterday walking around on lunch and after work, and 45 minutes today from walking to my husband's place of work from my place of work. +125 for this week.
305/600

Last edited:
60-minute PiYo class and a 20-minute walk

700/1400

I've seen 5 of the top 10. My favorites are 10 Things I Hate About You (though I'm always sad about Heath Ledger when I see it) and O Brother Where Art Thou? O Brother has one of the best movie soundtracks around.

Good morning, and happy weekend!!

Just 10 minutes for me yesterday - I got interrupted and never went back to my exercise...but today's a new day!

:cheer2: The team is now over 3000 minutes!!! And sophy1996 and Elizabeth Smith have reached Possibilities Purple!!! :rainbow:

Today we'll jump to 1988, with the beginnings of two new resorts - Grand Floridian and Caribbean Beach:

The Grand Floridian Beach Resort had its opening dedication ceremony on June 28, 1988. The opening of the resort was a big deal. This was the first new resort hotel to open at the Walt Disney World Resort since 1971. Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson were the celebrity guests present to cut the ribbon, along with Michael Eisner and Frank Wells.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...n-resort-spa-part_us_59721c1ce4b0545a5c30ff94

Opened on October 1, 1988, Caribbean Beach Resort was Disney World's first mid-priced ("moderate") resort. It's gone through several renovations over the years, however, and is just as beautiful and relaxing as it was back then. It's in Disney's Epcot Resort Area, meaning Epcot is just a short drive away.

http://www.disneycaribbeanbeach.com/

35 walking minutes for me yesterday, for 240/600.

The team stands at 36%.
(But we're still missing any reports from Daddys Princess. It's 49% for jsut the participants we've already heard from so far.)

Our Disney Beginning for today is May 1, 1989 - the opening of Disney-MGM Studios (later changed to Disney's Hollywood Studios in 2008):

http://www.thisdayindisneyhistory.com/Disney-MGMGrandOpening.html

from link:

The Disney-MGM Studios Theme Park at Walt Disney World opened to the public on May 1, 1989. Located south of EPCOT, it was Disney's 5th theme park in the world and the third park on WDW property. Although it rained throughout the day, the park was packed. It was the largest opening day press event in Disney World history. The park was so crowded that officials had to close its parking lot at only 9:15 a.m. - just about an hour after opening!

The park includes a replica of the entrance to Grauman's Chinese Theater, with a courtyard for celebrity handprints and signatures. A program called "Star Today" (which would allow celebrities over the years to leave their mark) started on this day. The very first "Star Today" was original Mouseketeer Annette Funicello.

Among the Hollywood legends who visited the park were George Burns and Bob Hope, who helped cut the filmstrip ribbon dedicating the Studios.
Entrance to the park was $29 for adults and $23 for children (between the ages of 3-9).

This video is also great if you have more time:
(52 minutes)

Last edited:
Just saw I haven’t posted since Wednesday!!! Not a lot to report - the rain has finally stopped so I had to do some weeding - I’ll add 25 minutes for that. (350/900) One good thing about the rain is it makes pulling them a lot easier!
I’ve seen 6 of the movies from Touchstone -
Good Morning Vietnam - my favorite because of Robin Williams
Dead Poets Society
Sister Act
O Brother . . .
Sweet Home Alabama
Con Air

How HS has changed since it opened! I miss Osborne Family Lights. Hopefully they’ll find a way to bring them back.
10 days till we leave for Food & Wine -
Sooo excited!

20 minutes for me = 260/600

Team total = 3234

Today's new beginning is Typhoon Lagoon, which opened on 6/1/1989.
Here's a page about the park from our own, beloved DIS:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/typhoon/typhoon.htm

Fun Facts:
- Each slide averages over 400 feet
- One slide can fill a regular home pool in one minute
- The Crush 'n' Gusher can fill the 2.7 million gallon wave pool in about 3 hours
- The water jets put out 1350 gallons a minute

:cheer2: Keep up those minutes, everyone! :cheer2:

20 minutes for me since my last update, for 280/600.

Team total 8,650! :cheer2:

And Disney's new venture for today is the purchase of Discover Magazine in 1991 -

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com..._1_science-magazine-wickham-discover-magazine

s-l300.jpg
25192165.jpg
dsc-cv0616.jpg

http://discovermagazine.com/

Still moving. Adding 90 minutes from an activity night at church on Saturday and 25 minutes from walking on lunch today.
420/600

I really enjoy those Typhoon Lagoon fun facts! I don't have any plans to visit the WDW water parks, but I remember how fun they were from when I was a kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts