Sequoia/Kings Canyon Opinions Needed

Donald is #1

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I'll be doing my first DL trip in May and my current plans include visiting Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks on Memorial Day weekend. However, I am beginning to have second thoughts due to weather. Are these parks nice at the end of May and do I need to worry about snow on the roads? Or are the roads clear by the end of May?

I was all set with my trip planned and then a few weeks ago, someone mentioned that part of Kings Canyon doesn't open up until the end of June and they also mentioned snow.

I live in New England so I am very familiar with driving in snow. However, I am not sure that I want to drive in snow in the Sierras. :)

Sequoia and the Grant Grove area of Kings Canyon will definitely be open. There might still be some patchy snow at the higher elevations (e.g. the Sherman Grove), but the roads will be clear unless they have a freak late snowstorm. The canyon parts (Mineral King and Cedar Grove) do open fairly late every year depending on snow - both should be open by Memorial Day, but no guarantees. According to the NPS web page (http://www.nps.gov/seki): "The road to Cedar Grove usually opens in mid-April and the Mineral King Road by Memorial Day—weather permitting. For information call 1-559-565-3341."

The weather tends to be coolish still at that time of year - you might be ok in shorts during the day, but in the sequoia groves you'll probably want long pants and maybe a light jacket...and at night it definitely gets into the 40s-50s usually. Take layers!

And yes, the parks are nice that time of year. You should start to see some wildflowers at the lower elevations (especially if you come in from the Ash Mountain entrance), but probably won't see anything except snowplants in the sequoia groves since it'll be a little too early at the higher elevations

Sequoia and the Grant Grove area of Kings Canyon will definitely be open. There might still be some patchy snow at the higher elevations (e.g. the Sherman Grove), but the roads will be clear unless they have a freak late snowstorm. The canyon parts (Mineral King and Cedar Grove) do open fairly late every year depending on snow - both should be open by Memorial Day, but no guarantees. According to the NPS web page (http://www.nps.gov/seki): "The road to Cedar Grove usually opens in mid-April and the Mineral King Road by Memorial Day—weather permitting. For information call 1-559-565-3341."

The weather tends to be coolish still at that time of year - you might be ok in shorts during the day, but in the sequoia groves you'll probably want long pants and maybe a light jacket...and at night it definitely gets into the 40s-50s usually. Take layers!

And yes, the parks are nice that time of year. You should start to see some wildflowers at the lower elevations (especially if you come in from the Ash Mountain entrance), but probably won't see anything except snowplants in the sequoia groves since it'll be a little too early at the higher elevations

Thanks! You have definitely put my fears at ease. :thumbsup2 This will be an interesting trip to pack for : everything from desert (Joshua Tree) to mountains with snow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter