Serial Pretrip reporter, back at it again! February 2019 PTR

Twoboysnmygirl

DIS Veteran
Hello Hello! I'm back from the pretrip report dead! :rolleyes:

I used to be a serial pre and post trip reporter but it's been a long while since I've done one. In fact, I had to go searching for my trip reports, I think they are archived but the links still work! Here's the last one I did in 2014. (I lied, I don't think it was the last one, but whatever!) :rotfl2:

The WILDEST RIDE IN THE WILDERNESS! Princess Half Marathon FEB 2014 TR

here's the last one I actually did:

Tales of the Tweedles & Other Spazzajazzerit PHM '15 Cupcake Adventures TR

I think. :laughing: Did we do one for Wine & Dine Tweedle? LOL

I'm going to have to relearn how to change my font color, share pics, and all that jazz! I'm also on my phone now vs. The computer, so that makes things different.

If you didn't notice, I tend to ramble on, it's just my way. I'm also super snarky, so there's that! :teeth: I also tend to use the limit of smiles every time I post.

I guess i should introduce myself! My name is Karen, I'm 45 and have been WDW addicted since my first trip I'm 2008 with a good friend. My daughter was just shy of 8 then, shes turning 18 this year! :scared: I've been back many times since then, a few times on my own to run Disney races, the only kind of race I really want to run.

DSC_0923.jpg

Favorite Rides:
Peter Pan (cry every dang time)
Expedition Everest
Big Thunder
Haunted Mansion
(I could really go on and on here, so I'll stop)

Favorite Resort:
Pop! I love AKL with a passion as well but Pop holds a special place, it was the first resort we stayed in and we love the in your face theme!

Favorite restaurant:
I can't pick one! Sanaa, Tusker House, Crystal Palace, Tangierene Cafe...I'm all about the food man.

Me and my girl, Savannah, in May 2017, the last trip we made. It was short and we didn't stay on property because we were in Orlando for a convention.

FB_IMG_1523024857893.jpg

She was annoyed because she was in a wheelchair by the second day. (More on that later)

My traveling companion this trip, and nearly all my trips is Savannah, my youngest. She's 17 and I adore her to the core!

DSC_0101b.jpg

DSC_1088.jpg

Favorite rides:
Dumbo
Big Thunder
EE
Space
Frozen

Favorite Resort:
Pop all the way. She really doesn't ever want to stay anywhere else. We were gifted a 2 night stay at BC once and she said she didn't feel like she was at Disney. LOL

Favorite ADR:
Crystal Palace
anywhere with mac-n-cheese :rotfl:

I have a million more things to post but I will finish this up and add the rest of my life story in the 2nd post. You have lots of time on your hands, right?? :rotfl2:

TABLE OF CONTENT HERE

Last edited:
I had to login on the computer because I just couldn't navigate the phone enough to ramble properly. Now where were we?? :rolleyes2

Ok, so I'm a mom of 3, they are 23, 22, and going to be 18. That makes me feel old, but I'm ok with being old. I homeschooled all my kids, the boys are in college currently but live at home. My husband is a truck driver and after driving over the road for most of our marriage, he finally got a fantastic local driving job that has him home daily! We don't have much money but I've pinched pennies and saved for the trips we've taken. I have my own petsitting business but that makes it difficult to go anywhere all together as I have to be available 365 days a year! When I do get away, my son will do my petsits. It helps that we don't really do big family trips anymore. It's impossible with the petsitting business, someone has to cover them when I'm gone. Yada yada, you don't care about this information!

Important...hmm...well, I'm an avid photographer. I did it professionally for a few years but it just doesn't pay as much as my petsitting business and kind of ruined the enjoyment of photography for me, so I stopped doing it! Instead I love taking photos at Disney, much to my family's dismay. They kind of know to just walk ahead of me sometimes. :rotfl2: I'm going to try and pick a few of my favorites from the last few years but since I literally have THOUSANDS, this will be difficult! Uh yeah, I just grabbed some random ones because I couldn't find half my favorites, there are too many.

DSC_0451.jpg

DSC_0787.jpg

WDWPrincesshalf00378.jpg

WDWPrincesshalf00124.jpg

GSC%20238.jpg

Disney20122050.jpg

Disney20121240b.jpg

ReyKarenAKL370.jpg

DSC_0705.jpg

ReyKarenAKL389.jpg

Last edited:
THE WHERE, THE WHEN & TATTOO

Does anyone find it amusing that I need three posts for an introduction? I don't.

Our dates are Sunday, Feb. 24th- Friday, March 1st 2019! Arriving on the day of the Princess Half Marathon, so it will be a little bittersweet to see everyone with their medals. No races this trip though!

We haven't stayed onsite for a couple years and Pop is our HOME HOME HOME, so I'm so excited to go back! (Can you tell I really really love it?)

SmartSelect_20180413-100424_Instagram.jpg

It's the first Disney resort we stayed at on our first trip and has so many memories. My friend who took us passed away last year, so I am going to try and enjoy the memories and not get sad when they hit me.

WDW2008564.jpg

I owe every last bit of my Disney obsession to MA. Disney wasn't even on my radar before she took us on this commando trip! She had so much energy, I really struggled to keep up with her but she loaded me up with margaritas whenever I threatened to have a Disney meltdown! :laughing:

I still remember how blown away Savannah (Sav) was when we walked into the lobby of Pop. Hoola hoops!

WDW2008061.jpg

I obviously didn't have a good camera back then! It was actually that trip in 2008 that made me start hunting for a good camera and taking some photography lessons.

Aw look, it's an OG bubblegum wall! LOL
WDW2008666.jpg

WDW20081528.jpg

5 nights and 4 park days (actually 5, more on that later) which is more than we have done in a long time. We usually only have about 3 park days, if that, so I'm really excited about having a little more time.

Last but not least, I'm also working on a full arm sleeve tattoo, all Disney/Wonderland themed! I know I'm old but I didn't do it when I was younger so I'm doing it now!

It's not finished but don't worry, I'll plaster updates all over as I get more finished:

IMG_20180329_081731_228.jpg

IMG_20180328_193738_937.jpg

20180328_163700.jpg

SmartSelect_20180329-053030_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

I am freaking first! Booo ya!! Ok, well I like the fact it took you 3 posts to introduce yourself and yes, I wanted to know all the information you've posted, so never think you are rambling on. Thank you for the head's up on FB so I could get over here before anyone else does! I guess I'm your number 1 fan!! :tongue: Your dates sound perfect and I hope you will have nothing but good memories and not dwell on the sad ones. So, which new things are you excited for? Of course for me it will be Star Wars Land when it opens. I look forward to reading all the exciting plans to come!

Last edited:
I am freaking first! Booo ya!! Ok, well I like the fact it took you 3 posts to introduce yourself and yes, I wanted to know all the information you've posted, so never think you are rambling on. Thank you for the head's up on FB so I could get over here before anyone else does! I guess I'm your number 1 fan!! :tongue: Your dates sound perfect and I hope you will have nothing but good memories and not dwell on the sad ones. So, which new things are you excited for? Of course for me it will be Star Wars Land when it opens. I look forward to reading all the exciting plans to come!

Yes, my one and only fan! :rotfl2: It's easy to be the first when you're the only one reading!

We are really excited for Toy Story Land and I'm excited for Pandora. Sav isn't really but she might like it once she sees it. She loves AK in general. Oh and the Frozen singalong! Lol

I've also got a list going of things we've never done or haven't done in years that we want to do! Sav has never done Figment, things like that. She also said she wants to spend some more time in worldshowcase and that is HUGE because it was her least favorite place for a long time.

Lol, I'm starting to think we will still be pushed for time with 4 1/2 park days! :rolleyes1

FOOD!!!

let's just start with important things, shall we??

I eat pretty good, I eat too much, but it's pretty healthy foods most days. Savannah and I are both vegetarians. For me that means all kinds of fun eats at Disney, for Sav that means mac-n-cheese. :rotfl2:

In not kidding, I went looking through albums to grab pics for thos post and there are so many pictures of macaroni! She's not an adventurous eater, she will have salad or fruit but at disney she splurges as well and apparently that means mac-n-cheese and tons of desserts! :rotfl:

Disney20131516.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

I even have pics of her taking pics of mac n cheese. :rolleyes1

DSC_0254.jpg

So basically I'm good for wherever as long as they have it for her. We almost always eat at Pop when we arrive, although it's just not the same without the TRUE tie dye cheesecake. Anyone remember when they had this delicious gem???
Disney2013054.jpg

but I digress...

So we always go to DTD the first night (leave me alone, I'm not ready to call it Disney Springs!) And again, food tradition takes over. See this is our trouble, Savannah just wants to go to all the places that carry nostalgia for us, regardless of the food. We went to RFC our first trip in 2008 and she had never been to one so it's a disney thing for her. Well and that dang VOLCANO.
WDW2008146.jpg

Our first morning we will do Crystal Palace before rope drop. Again tradition. :rolleyes: when will we ever go anywhere new? We love the food there and the characters, so I guess if it's not broke...
WDW2009319a.jpg

DSC_0826a.jpg

Then we have the dilema...

Lunchtime at MK means we struggle to find food or we head back to Pop. MK is awful for vegetarian options. We used to eat at CHH but they took away the awesome lighthouse sandwich and didn't replace it? Sav wants to do BOG but she will end up just eating fries and a cupcake. I'm not sure what I can eat but I think they have one option. The last time we went, they had just opened and wouldn't go substitutions at all. I had to get the ham and cheese sandwich and pull off the ham. Gross. Savannah refused to do that so she had fried. We LOVED the restaurant though, so I don't know. Also, how do you make a CS adr for them?

We hope the parks, so dinner will be Tusker House. Omg I'm going on and on, I should just list the places we want to go:
RFC
Crystal Palace
BOG lunch
Tusker House
Satuli Canteen at AK! new for us
Via Napoli(she cant pass up tiramisu ever)
Sci-fi (have not been since 2009)

CS in Epcot for lunch, my favorite is Tangeriene Cafe but nothing sav will eat there so we will have to go down to America and get her mac and cheese. Wonder if we can take it to go and then eat together?
There also a couple other times will have to work around a meal at MK. Maybe DTD or eat at Pop before going to MK in the evening.

Well, I will try to hold my bitterness about not being told about my Tweedle starting her first trip report in years....and instead be like..... :cool1:.... A Tweedle Report... How I miss your ramblings!!! Keep it coming! Woo hoo!

4.5 days in the park. Lots of great food. Your girl. Pop. Your new tat... this is going to be a great trip. Only thing missing will be me! :rotfl2:(see I want to try to match your use of smilies).

So... I may be in Disney like in 1.5 months with my girl. At Pop too. I will do some reconnaissance for you. I can tell you how how to get that BOG ADR at lunch. Same way you get the other ones- Disney Dining ressie. I think it's the only Quick Service on there. That was Becca's ONLY request for food on her trip (it's for her 16th!).

Anyways, so super excited to have you back to read your ramblings. I miss them! :earboy2:

Well, I will try to hold my bitterness about not being told about my Tweedle starting her first trip report in years....and instead be like..... :cool1:.... A Tweedle Report... How I miss your ramblings!!! Keep it coming! Woo hoo!

4.5 days in the park. Lots of great food. Your girl. Pop. Your new tat... this is going to be a great trip. Only thing missing will be me! :rotfl2:(see I want to try to match your use of smilies).

So... I may be in Disney like in 1.5 months with my girl. At Pop too. I will do some reconnaissance for you. I can tell you how how to get that BOG ADR at lunch. Same way you get the other ones- Disney Dining ressie. I think it's the only Quick Service on there. That was Becca's ONLY request for food on her trip (it's for her 16th!).

Anyways, so super excited to have you back to read your ramblings. I miss them! :earboy2:

See, I didn't think you went on the DIS anymore, that's why I didn't tell you! Now that I know you are headed there too, I will bother you incessantly about all things Disney! Be careful what you wish for! Bwahahahahaaa *maniacal laugh* :lmao:

I want many good photos of the refurbed rooms! And a report on pros and cons of them. Oh and menu changes you notice, and pics of the area they are putting in the sky-thingie. Wait, I'll think if more! :woohoo:

I actually priced an AP, thinking I could convince you to do the Princess 10k in Feb 2020. We should plan a trip. Maybe we could do sooner, Wine&Dine 10k 2019? I'm not even sure I can run a damn 10k anymore! But we have to get other cupcakes to come so the room will be cheaper. :laughing: (I'm a horrible person, that's not the only reason why)

I cannot believe anyone misses my rambling. You truly are tweedledum. Lol.

Oh and I think BOG will be even harder to reserve, since they are making dinner a signature.

See, I didn't think you went on the DIS anymore, that's why I didn't tell you! Now that I know you are headed there too, I will bother you incessantly about all things Disney! Be careful what you wish for! Bwahahahahaaa *maniacal laugh* :lmao:

I don't go on much anymore because there wasn't much to follow. I'll go on and read some tips here & there... but now that I know you got something going on- I'll check in!

I want many good photos of the refurbed rooms! And a report on pros and cons of them. Oh and menu changes you notice, and pics of the area they are putting in the sky-thingie. Wait, I'll think if more! :woohoo:

Try not to pass out.. but I don't think I'll be bringing my big camera with in May. I just don't want to lug it all around in 95 degree heat and Memorial Day crowds. So I will do best I can but photos will likely be iPhone quality pics!

I have stayed in 50s, 60's and 90's before so I'm hoping for 70's or 80's this trip! Truthfully we'll rarely be in it, so whatever we get will be fine.

I actually priced an AP, thinking I could convince you to do the Princess 10k in Feb 2020. We should plan a trip. Maybe we could do sooner, Wine&Dine 10k 2019? I'm not even sure I can run a damn 10k anymore! But we have to get other cupcakes to come so the room will be cheaper. :laughing: (I'm a horrible person, that's not the only reason why)

I def. can not RUN a 10K anymore but I can FAST WALK one! So I'd be totally game!!! I LOVE our trips! :) Princess is super hard for me because of the timing and busy season... but I could make it work! I could make anything work except the Marathon weekend.. that's too much in the middle of my worst work time! Let's do it.. at least in our brains... even if it never comes to fruition.

Oh and I think BOG will be even harder to reserve, since they are making dinner a signature.

We booked very last minute, so I had a hard time getting everything. Rebecca begged and pleaded for this for her 'Sweet 16th". It's all she wanted.. no presents, no party- just Disney. So I worked on saving some $$ outside of our family budget for vacation because I know Kurt would be like.. nope! And so when I already had the money he couldn't say no... so we booked like early March... by then ALL the good food times were gone. And to top it off, because we are there only for a quick trip (come in last flight Saturday the 26th and leave last flight Tuesday the 29th) I couldn't get any FOP fastpasses.. I keep trying hourly. Anyways, long story long ( A Karen ramble, if you will). I couldn't get BOG when I first booked but I stalked daily and eventually one did open up and I snagged it!

I don't go on much anymore because there wasn't much to follow. I'll go on and read some tips here & there... but now that I know you got something going on- I'll check in!

Try not to pass out.. but I don't think I'll be bringing my big camera with in May. I just don't want to lug it all around in 95 degree heat and Memorial Day crowds. So I will do best I can but photos will likely be iPhone quality pics!

I have stayed in 50s, 60's and 90's before so I'm hoping for 70's or 80's this trip! Truthfully we'll rarely be in it, so whatever we get will be fine.

I def. can not RUN a 10K anymore but I can FAST WALK one! So I'd be totally game!!! I LOVE our trips! :) Princess is super hard for me because of the timing and busy season... but I could make it work! I could make anything work except the Marathon weekend.. that's too much in the middle of my worst work time! Let's do it.. at least in our brains... even if it never comes to fruition.

We booked very last minute, so I had a hard time getting everything. Rebecca begged and pleaded for this for her 'Sweet 16th". It's all she wanted.. no presents, no party- just Disney. So I worked on saving some $$ outside of our family budget for vacation because I know Kurt would be like.. nope! And so when I already had the money he couldn't say no... so we booked like early March... by then ALL the good food times were gone. And to top it off, because we are there only for a quick trip (come in last flight Saturday the 26th and leave last flight Tuesday the 29th) I couldn't get any FOP fastpasses.. I keep trying hourly. Anyways, long story long ( A Karen ramble, if you will). I couldn't get BOG when I first booked but I stalked daily and eventually one did open up and I snagged it!

Omg, I'm absolutley giddy over chatting disney again with you! :hyper: I'm gonna need details about your plans. Will you just do RD for FOP?? I dont care about photo quality, just quantity. :rotfl:

Let me look at a calendar to see when they might do w&d 2019...I'm thinking Nov 2-3 since the following weekend is a holiday? I cant do it if it's a holiday weekend but 2nd-3rd I think I could!

Last edited:
Omg, I'm absolutley giddy over chatting disney again with you! :hyper: I'm gonna need details about your plans. Will you just do RD for FOP?? I dont care about photo quality, just quantity. :rotfl:

Let me look at a calendar to see when they might do w&d 2019.

Plans....
Arrive 10pm on Saturday May 26th
Sunday 27th:
Fast passes for MK in morning (Peter Pan, Big Thunder & Jungle)
Lunch at BOG
Head to MGM to ride ToT only... (unless we can get 4th fastpass for TSM)
Back to MK for Wishes & closing park
Monday 28th:
Pre-park Breakfast at Garden Grill w/Chip and Dale
Rope drop Soarin
Ride Single File TT
FP for Spaceship Earth, Figment & Frozen (Rebecca's choice)
Lunch at Chef de France
Afternoon.. unknown depending what we can get for 4th FP.... Probably AK for night
Tuesday 29th:
POSSIBLY attempt Rope Drop FOP (been reading up on it)
FP for Rivers, Everest & Safari
Move to probably MK
Leave. :(

It's Memorial Day weekend so I'm banking on them extending hours later. Rebecca wants to cram as much in as we can. Opening to close. I am worried about heat as I don't do well in it.. but I will just dump ice on my head I guess.

Plans....
Arrive 10pm on Saturday May 26th
Sunday 27th:
Fast passes for MK in morning (Peter Pan, Big Thunder & Jungle)
Lunch at BOG
Head to MGM to ride ToT only... (unless we can get 4th fastpass for TSM)
Back to MK for Wishes & closing park
Monday 28th:
Pre-park Breakfast at Garden Grill w/Chip and Dale
Rope drop Soarin
Ride Single File TT
FP for Spaceship Earth, Figment & Frozen (Rebecca's choice)
Lunch at Chef de France
Afternoon.. unknown depending what we can get for 4th FP.... Probably AK for night
Tuesday 29th:
POSSIBLY attempt Rope Drop FOP (been reading up on it)
FP for Rivers, Everest & Safari
Move to probably MK
Leave. :(

It's Memorial Day weekend so I'm banking on them extending hours later. Rebecca wants to cram as much in as we can. Opening to close. I am worried about heat as I don't do well in it.. but I will just dump ice on my head I guess.

This looks fantastic, packed full, just how i like it! All our trips have been like this. Keep trying for FOP by trying to repeatedly replace your rivers FP. I've heard it can happen, especially around 30 days.

Not sure if I ever commented on your past reports but I definitely lurked on them! Glad to see you back and sharing the plans of your next trip :)

Not sure if I ever commented on your past reports but I definitely lurked on them! Glad to see you back and sharing the plans of your next trip :)

YAY!!! I'm so excited to have a real follower.

Ann & Tweedle, you aren't real. You know what I mean! :rotfl2:

I'm still trying to remember how to do things, I cant figure out links anymore, it may be because I'm on my phone vs. my computer. I gave up on my intro posts and got on the computer because the phone was just too hard to navigate adding all the pics.

Anywho...welcome! I'm glad you came out of lurkdom, I need people to actually interact with here, although I am pretty adept at talking rambles to myself. :laughing:

Ok, I'm going to attempt an update on my phone. It's not really an update, but more of an explanation and then me wondering outloud how we will approach Savannah's physical limitations on the trip.

Savannah was a pretty "normal" little girl aside from the pain she had in her legs for years when sleeping. We took her in lots of times and they did xrays and told us it must be growing pains. Eventually it got better. Like 5 years later. :rolleyes1

When she was 11, she was bit by a tick and got really sick. They put her on antibiotics and never tested to see if she had lyme disease because they said any tickborne illness was treated the same. Her joints swelled up and she was really sick. After about 6 weeks she got better...but not really. She continued to have pain in her joints, low energy, and quite a few more random symptoms.

For the next 5 years we went the rounds with so many doctors! Vial after vial of blood, no explanation. I thought it was lingering lyme disease but it turns out the tick (and antibiotic that I now know should never be given to someone with joint problems) basically triggered her immune response and made what she already had worse. She never had a tickborne illness apparently!

What she was finally diagnosed by a geneticist with (myself and my mother unofficially as well) Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. EDS for short or in her case hEDS, the H standing for hypermobile. There are many different forms of EDS, hEDS is what she has.

It's a genetic disorder that causes collagen to be produced improperly. We all have collagen everywhere, someone with Ed's has faulty collagen. It causes the joints to be loose, amongst many other symptoms that are tied in with the immune system and body. This explained why my mom had so many joint surgeries and why I had so many running injuries/knees locking episodes despite slow careful training. Its bizarre that I never noticed her joints, I had always considered myself just "flexible". When I was going through old pics I ran across quite a few where her elbows look crazy, but never even noticed at the time!

IMG_20180117_124055.jpg

Omg, I'm sorry this is so long, it's hard to explain it all without all this info!

We were happy to find out what had caused all the pain and she was glad she wasn't crazy...something she thought a dr suggested, but this is a genetic disorder and there's no cure for it. She does physical therapy and strengthens her muscles to support the joints, but that's about all that can be done, aside from pain killers, which she doesn't want to take. Her joints sublux a lot, this is a partial dislocation. My knees have done this since I was a young teen and I had no idea why, just thought it was some bizarre thing that happened to me when I bent my knee too much.

It's scary for me, I worry about her future. My mother and I were pretty functional, we didn't even know we had it, but Savannah's is worse, something that obviously happens when genetics are passed down. She in pain a lot and struggles with her fingers subluxing as well as her hips. She lives with a heating pad 24/7 when she is home and takes ibuprofen more than she would like.

Shes determined to be normal though, so she goes out with friends and works with me, but it takes a lot out of her. She will push herself for a day and then come home and have to rest and recover. Recently she went to the March for our Lives and had a great time, she came home and slept for 15 hours straight.

IMG_20180324_123936_746.jpg

So that brings us to the parks. Last May we did 2 1/2 days at the parks when we were in Orlando for Playlist Live. We hit the parks hard like usual and by the 2nd day she conceded to a wheelchair at Epcot. She was NOT happy about it.

FB_IMG_1523381969245.jpg

She lasted for a few hours but wanted out by afternoon and refused to get one again. I'm glad she at least used one for a bit but this trip will be longer with more park time, so I'm wondering if we will have to do it again. She doesn't like unwanted attention, she always been very introverted, so the chair made her feel like people were looking at her. Sigh.

So all that just to say I guess we will have to play it by ear. I cant imagine slowing down or changing our touring, she wouldn't have it, she's like me, we can relax at home! :hyper:

Oh jeez, I'm sorry hear about your daughter's physical difficulties! At least you were finally given an answer and know what it is though!

I can understand her not wanting to be in the wheelchair. But in the long run it would be so much better for her!

Oh jeez, I'm sorry hear about your daughter's physical difficulties! At least you were finally given an answer and know what it is though!

I can understand her not wanting to be in the wheelchair. But in the long run it would be so much better for her!

Thanks, yes, as crazy as it sounds, we were temporarily relieved. It was so frustrating to have all this pain and bizarre symptoms and get no answers. A rheumatologist was the first one who mentioned that she was hypermobile, we had gone to him thinking rheumatoid arthritis but he said she was the opposite of that. Shocking that no doctors previously had even noticed or knew anything about EDS. Magically they all do now, so maybe there's been more awareness in the last couple years!

I am loving your PTR!
We are going the first week in March and I am already way too excited for the long countdown, we have had to postpone TWICE already :/

I had growing pains as a kid too, they are awful awful awful and I pray none of my kids get them like I did.
I am glad that you have answers for your daughter- the medical field can be like a maze sometimes trying to get answers!

And your photos - AhMazing...makes me not want to do my own PTR :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter