Service Dogs and WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

almburr

DIS Veteran
My Boyfriend has a Service dog, so I am learning all about the life with a service dog. Id like to know how many of you with a Service Dog has been to WDW and what your experience has been.

There is a YouTube thst lives close to Disney with a service dog. You can find her on YouTube at chronically Jaquie then type in service dog disney

But for the most part ride that the dog can not go on one member in the party can wait with the dog or they have crates for the dog to stay In while you ride ( a CM stays with the dog)

There is a YouTube thst lives close to Disney with a service dog. You can find her on YouTube at chronically Jaquie then type in service dog disney

But for the most part ride that the dog can not go on one member in the party can wait with the dog or they have crates for the dog to stay In while you ride ( a CM stays with the dog)
thank you. I do watch her videos. I was just seeing about other peoples experiences too.

almburr, I too am looking for more recent info but we do have experience with bring a SD to WDW & DL they were in 2015 WDW & Universal :scared1: and 2016 DL. I’m just hoping things are the same or better than our last time there.

Here’s our experience. Our daughter has a 95 lb goldendoddle service dog who did great at all the parks, Universal was better overall but they are smaller. There are plenty of relief areas, they’re marked on the maps. When he couldn’t ride Big Thunder Mtn we did a rider swap because they couldn’t find the kennel. At 7 Dwarfs, Test Track, Soarin, Tower Terror, Space Mtn, Star Tours & Splash Mtn they had a kennel for him and they would have us put him in and close it up and a cast member would stay with him. It worked really well for most of them on Star Tours the kennel was too close to the que and people were messing with him and trying to pet him and making noises and such. But a couple storm troopers stepped in and acted as guards as we got him out so less people messed with him, that was kind of fun. When we went to each park each day we stopped at guest assistance and told them we would be there with him and would need the kennel, that way they could let the supervisors at each of the rides that would need the kennel to have heads up. The biggest problem seemed there wasn’t a kennel at each of the needed rides. Here is WDW link for service dogs. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/service-animals/
The biggest thing you have to be mindful of is people judging your boyfriend and thinking his dog is not a real SD & Have a plan of how you’re going to handle people wanting to say hi or pet your SD when you’re in lines or tight areas, there will be many.
Here’s a pic of my daughters SD on Pirates of the Caribbean DL.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 86

When we went to each park each day we stopped at guest assistance and told them we would be there with him and would need the kennel, that way they could let the supervisors at each of the rides that would need the kennel to have heads up. The biggest problem seemed there wasn’t a kennel at each of the needed rides. Here is WDW link for service dogs. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/service-animals/

Disney's website states that they do not supply a kennel at all of the attractions, only at some:

"Due to the nature of some attractions, service animals may not be permitted to ride. At these locations, please ask a Cast Member about available options, including Rider Switch with a member of your party or a portable kennel."

The key word in the above is "or". Some rides have a kennel, others will offer you rider switch. I don't think going to Guest Services is going to get you a kennel at all rides.

Rider Switch looks like an excellent procedure;

Given the controversy of service animals on airplanes and complaints from other passengers, it might be necessary for Disney to have a mandatory Disabled Access Services usage for users of service animals to keep the latter at a distance from other guests.

Perhaps Disney needs to add a booming voice announcement every so often within ride queues when a service animal is present, "Please do not touch seeing eye dogs or other service animals!".. By the way it is extremely rude to touch someone else's wheelchair; that would be comparable to leaning on someone else's shoulder.

Last edited:
Given the controversy of service animals on airplanes and complaints from other passengers, it might be necessary for Disney to have a mandatory Disabled Access Services usage for users of service animals to keep the latter at a distance from other guests.
No. Disney is not and should not be expected to cover for uninformed or inconsiderate guests.

Disney's website states that they do not supply a kennel at all of the attractions, only at some:

"Due to the nature of some attractions, service animals may not be permitted to ride. At these locations, please ask a Cast Member about available options, including Rider Switch with a member of your party or a portable kennel."

The key word in the above is "or". Some rides have a kennel, others will offer you rider switch. I don't think going to Guest Services is going to get you a kennel at all rides.

Disney Oma,
I think I did include that link in there for the purpose of clarity.
Going to guest services was the idea from the Guest service cast member on our 1st day to talk to someone about the DAS card for our daughter. They suggested it as it would make the day smoother. I wasn’t trying to get anything but a smoother day for our daughter per their suggestion. Our experience was they just moved 1 or 2 kennels around to the various rides so if they know they may need it that day they could be better prepared. A few times it was like hide and go seek or where’s Waldo for them to find where a kennel was.

I understand the "or" is in there but I do believe Disney could afford to have 1 kennel at each ride that a SD could not ride on. That was what I was saying or inferring. Hope that’s ok with you.

Disney Oma,
I think I did include that link in there for the purpose of clarity.
Going to guest services was the idea from the Guest service cast member on our 1st day to talk to someone about the DAS card for our daughter. They suggested it as it would make the day smoother. I wasn’t trying to get anything but a smoother day for our daughter per their suggestion. Our experience was they just moved 1 or 2 kennels around to the various rides so if they know they may need it that day they could be better prepared. A few times it was like hide and go seek or where’s Waldo for them to find where a kennel was.

I understand the "or" is in there but I do believe Disney could afford to have 1 kennel at each ride that a SD could not ride on. That was what I was saying or inferring. Hope that’s ok with you.

So if they move the kennels, what happens when another guest needs it? I really don't think having a kennel at some of the attractions works, and that's why they don't have them there. Are service animals really comfortable in a strange, loud, dark place, for example? How would guest services know exactly when you need a kennel? It just doesn't make logistical sense to move a few kennels around for one guest, as it would interfere with other guests who need them, and it isn't always a good choice to leave a service animal at the entrance of an attraction. Some rides don't start and end at the same place (like Pirates of the Caribbean, which has a drop that may not be safe for a dog) for example.

So if they move the kennels, what happens when another guest needs it?
THATS THE POINT, IF THEY HAD THEM AT THE ALL RIDES SD CANT GO ON THEY DONT HAVE TO MOVE THE OTHERS
I really don't think having a kennel at some of the attractions works, and that's why they don't have them there.
Are service animals really comfortable in a strange, loud, dark place, for example? Yes most SD would be fine
How would guest services know exactly when you need a kennel? That’s why 1 for each ride needing one.
It just doesn't make logistical sense to move a few kennels around for one guest, as it would interfere with other guests who need them, and it isn't always a good choice to leave a service animal at the entrance of an attraction. They don’t have them at the entrance it depends on the ride and where it works best.
Some rides don't start and end at the same place (like Pirates of the Caribbean, which has a drop that may not be safe for a dog) for example.
. Did you read my original post and see the picture?

Service Dogs are amazing animals and can do and handle so much more than most people will ever understand. If you saw some of these dogs in action helping their partners with a seizure or low blood sugar or blindness and such much more it is incredible. Thank you to those who understand their need, our SD is a life saving hero more than we’d like to think about.

THATS THE POINT, IF THEY HAD THEM AT THE ALL RIDES SD CANT GO ON THEY DONT HAVE TO MOVE THE OTHERS"
Disney does not need a Service Dog kennel at every. single. attraction. Guests always have the option to leave a member of their own party with the SD, at every. single. attraction. Kennels are a courtesy, and chances are you are never the only person with a Service Dog in any park at any time.
If you saw some of these dogs in action
I am genuinely curious why you think nobody on the disABILITIES forum has never seen a Service Dog in action. Some posters may even have an SD as a family member.

marcyleecorgan, I apologize for screaming, it was more to make a point.

Disney does not need a Service Dog kennel at every. single. attraction. Guests always have the option to leave a member of their own party with the SD, at every. single. attraction. Kennels are a courtesy, and chances are you are never the only person with a Service Dog in any park at any time.

I wasn’t asking for every single ride, I was asking for the few rides that they cannot ride on. By having 1 at each of these attractions it would better for all SD owners as there would be less waiting for them to find where a kennel is at the time, is it at 7Dwarfs or Slash Mtn or Space Mtn.

I am genuinely curious why you think nobody on the disABILITIES forum has never seen a Service Dog in action. Some posters may even have an SD as a family member.

I absolutely know there are others on here with SD and never said anything like that.
I don’t believe I meant to that to everyone.
I was talking directly to Disney Oma and trying not to offend others but it seems this is the norm right now by a few people. I responded to something with direct experience but seem to scolded by some who have no direct experience.

almburr, I apologize that this thread went this way. If I can answer any questions or be of help please PM me.

I would like the moderators to close this thread as it no long is doing any good and has become wasted space.
Thanks , YO

Please be polite and no arguing!

I’m not going to close this thread at this point. I will close it if the OP asks or if the negativity continues.
If Guest Relations suggested checking in with Guest Relations with a SD, there is no reason to argue about it. Doing so may not help, but wouldn’t hurt either.
WDW has good information on their website regarding SD/S Animals, I including a list of attractions where SD/SA are not allowed and those with cautions.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/service-animals/#
I can see that some attractions that are close together might share kennels - it’s probably doesn’t happen often that both Test Track and Mission Space would both have a guest riding with a SD/SA at the same time and since they are right next to each other, moving it wouldn’t be that much of an issue. Same for Big Thunder Mountain RR and Splash Mountain.
Others are far from anything else - like Soarin’ - I’d expect those might have a dedicated kennel.

I would not expect to find a kennel at attractions that don’t have restrictions for SD/SA. For example, Pirates was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it’s not one with restrictions or warnings for SA/SD.
AND. as was mentioned, Rider Switch is always an option.

My daughter has a SD, but we have never brought him to WDW because the things he does for her are not things she really needs assistance with in the parks (picking up things she drops, getting one of us for her, etc).
A well trained SD is trained for pretty much anything and should be fine at WDW, as long as the handler is attentive to the dog’s needs.
Our trainer said the SD’s first job is to be invisible and tend to the person he/she is assisting. Our dog is invisible enough that he was sitting under the table at a restaurant. He didn’t touch any of the spilled French fries left over from the last guest. He didn’t make a move or a sound, even when the waitress stepped on his foot. She thought she had stepped on spilled food and was really surprised to see a dog under the table.

I will say that even on the busiest days, there's rarely more that 5 or 6 service dogs in any one park at a time.

. Did you read my original post and see the picture?

Service Dogs are amazing animals and can do and handle so much more than most people will ever understand. If you saw some of these dogs in action helping their partners with a seizure or low blood sugar or blindness and such much more it is incredible. Thank you to those who understand their need, our SD is a life saving hero more than we’d like to think about.

Yes, I agree, they are amazing animals. They also have amazing hearing, and some sounds at some ride attractions can be too much for them. So locking them up in a kennel while they have to listen to a painful sound is cruel. Service dogs are not just tools, they are living, sensitive animals that should be treated with care and respect.

I will say that even on the busiest days, there's rarely more that 5 or 6 service dogs in any one park at a time.

Except for that crazy lady who brings in a pack. She kind of skews the average, LOL!

But my point is, not all attractions are viable to having a service animal at loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter