Shade of Green wedding / Disney catered event

sjbeachgirl

Earning My Ears
Hi, there! I'm helping my niece plan her wedding for Oct 2018. They are having the ceremony at SOG. We were going to just make a dinner reservation somewhere, but then we read about dessert parties and Disney catered events. Is it possible to do a private dinner, not just a dessert party, at one of the resorts, or even at Epcot even though she's not doing a Disney wedding? The menus I was able to find online are for DFTW, but can they be used for just regular catered events?

Thanks!

Yes to all your questions! Anybody can plan a private event through Disney Catered Events as long as they are staying at a Disney-owned and -operated resort (i.e., not Shades of Green). Any chance you or she have a Disney resort stay as part of the trip? Actually, DCE may still let you plan as a courtesy to Shades of Green, like they do for guests of the Four Seasons.

The big thing is that it cannot be seen as an attempt to have a wedding reception without going through Disney Fairy Tale Weddings. So no wedding cake, DJ, dancing, etc. and no wedding gown at an in-park event. I have a blog post about planning through DCE here: http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/private-party/

And here's a podcast interview that covers all the details: http://disneyweddingpodcast.com/2016/07/06/how-to-plan-a-small-private-event-at-walt-disney-world/

Well, that sounds promising! We are staying at POR. If we did something at GF, she could stay in her dress? We did read we couldn't have dancing, so we thought if we could do a dinner outside at GF or Epcot to coordinate with fireworks, that would be cool. Her fiancé mentioned the Poly, do you know if they do private dinners? Do you think it's possible to do dinner for 15-25 people, including all venue fees/food & beverage/taxes & gratuities for $2500-$3000?

Well, that sounds promising! We are staying at POR. If we did something at GF, she could stay in her dress?

There is no prohibition on wearing wedding attire at the resorts. However... in the last few years there have been one or two rogue DCE cast members who tried to tell brides they couldn't wear their gowns at events at the GF. Which is just wrong. Not knowing whether you'll get one of these misguided folks, I recommend not mentioning the gown at all and just showing up in it. She is not going to be turned away from her own party for wearing it.

We did read we couldn't have dancing, so we thought if we could do a dinner outside at GF or Epcot to coordinate with fireworks, that would be cool. Her fiancé mentioned the Poly, do you know if they do private dinners?

The only private event venue at the Polynesian is Trader Sam's, and you have to finish your event by 3pm.

Do you think it's possible to do dinner for 15-25 people, including all venue fees/food & beverage/taxes & gratuities for $2500-$3000?

You should be able to, but it depends on where you hold your event and how many people you end up with. I have sample pricing in that post I linked you to, but basically....

Wishes at the Grand Floridian
  • Venue Rental Fee: none
  • Sago Cay Pointe (10-75 guests) Food & Beverage Minimums: $1,250
  • Marina Patio & Terrace (20-100 guests) Food & Beverage Minimums: $2,500
  • Viewing Fee: none
  • Wishes Soundtrack Fee: $645 up to 50 guests
IllumiNations at Epcot
  • Venue Rental Fee: $150-$500, depending on location ($300 is average)
  • Food & Beverage Minimums: $250-$2,500, depending on location
  • Viewing Fee: $10/guest (except bridal couple) for Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings events or $10/guestwithout admission for Disney Catered Events
  • Ride Mix-in Fee (optional): $15/guest without admission.
  • Backstage transportation may be required at an additional cost
Service charge is 24% on food and beverage. Tax is 6.5% on everything except event guides, photography and transportation. Even the service fee gets tax!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts