SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

jusero

DIS Veteran
Don't know if I am allowed to start this thread since I am not "official Shades staff," but thought I would give it a try since the last thread is now closed. I just copied and pasted this info from the first page of the last thread so we could continue our discussions with our Shades family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official SHADES OF GREEN Information (Thread #3-Started April 2012)

SHADES OF GREEN
1950 West Magnolia Palm Dr.
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-2789
Reservations: 888-593-2242
Fax: 407-824-3665
Hotel Direct: 407-824-3400
www.shadesofgreen.org
Shades of Green video on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2iSVFsHqdk
Bus schedule: www.shadesofgreen.org/busschedule.htm

Photos of the hotel: Page 22, post 316
Map of the hotel: Page 22, post 320

Shades of Green (SoG) originally opened in 1994 as the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) in the continental United States. In response to ever-increasing demand the resort undertook a massive expansion and renovation in 2002 increasing in both size and services offered. SoG more than doubled the number of guest rooms to 586, added 11 family suites; additional dining options, meeting facilities, a fitness center and multi-leveled parking garage. Reopening in March 2004, SoG has emerged as a premier resort destination in the heart of Walt Disney World.

Extra spacious hotel rooms (480 square feet) accommodate up to five persons and amenities include coffee maker, refrigerator, in-room safe (free - can operate with a personal 4 digit code), hairdryer, iron and iron board, in-room movies and internet access and video games. Each room has either a patio or a private balcony with two chairs and a table. The newer section of the resort is named The Palm; the older section The Magnolia.

There is a bottle of hand wash at each bathroom sink and a dispenser in the bath/shower with shampoo and body wash. There are no shampoo or body lotion bottles or bars of soap. You can purchase a bar of soap in the AAFES store for about a dollar.

The in-room safe has a removable shelf which if taken out can fit a laptop 11x14.

- Two championship golf courses and a 9-hole executive course (part of WDW Resort) right outside the door
- Two lighted tennis courts (open 24 hours a day)
- Two heated swimming pools 24 hours. Quiet hours 2200-0900-
-Hot tub 24 hours. Quiet hours 2200-0900- Childrens pool and play area
- Attraction ticket sales Open 7 days a week 0800-1900
- Restaurants, lounge and sports bar
- State-of-the-art banquet accommodations
- Room Service
- Wake-up calls
- Check cashing (up to $100 per day per room; $300 max per stay)
- FEDEX pick-up Monday-Friday
- Gift shops
- Video arcade
- Laundry facilities (open 24 hours) (Nov10)
- Fitness Center (open 24 hours a day) (Nov10)
- Automated teller machines (one in main lobby; one on lower level by Express Café)
- Transportation to all WDW Resort attractions: www.shadesofgreen.org/busschedule.htm
- Early entry into select WDW attractions

Parking Fees. Self parking $5 per day; Valet parking $10 for each day used (Nov10).

Check-in time is 1500 hours; Check-out time is 1100 hours. Late check outs can be requested on the morning of departure and is subject to availability. An additional fee will apply.

Early Departures. Early departures are subject to a one night charge.

Smoking Policy. The entire facility, to include pool areas, is smoke free. If the smoke free policy is violated in the guest rooms, a penalty will be incurred. Smoking is permitted on the guest room balconies and patios as long as the door is closed.(This is no longer valid. There are designated smoking areas, but no more smoking on patios or balconies

Electrical Items. Personal electrical items, such as cooking appliances and coffee pots, are not allowed in the rooms.

Pet Policy. Pets are not permitted on SoG property. If the pet policy is violated, a penalty will be incurred.

Weapons. No weapons of any kind are permitted at Shades of Green.

Current list of TV stations (Nov10). Information, Room Service, TWC, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS, Food, CW, Univision, Disney, Toon Disney, Cartoon Network, NICK, ABC Family, Toon, Animal Planet, Military, Nat Geo, Discovery, History, CNN HLN, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, Fox News, Golf, Speed, CSTV, Big 10, NFL, NHL, TBS, TNT, USA, FX, Spike, AE, TLC, TVONE, AMC, Sci-Fi, Comedy, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News

BUS SCHEDULE.

To see an updated and current bus schedule: www.shadesofgreen.org/busschedule.htm

Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beachonce per hour
Leaves Shades of Green on the half hour. Starts a half hour before park opening. (Usually at 0830)
On Extra Magic Hour days, Leaves Shades of Green starting at 0730
Leaves Animal Kingdom at 10 minutes before the hour (Space #7 in charter bus area)
Leaves BB on the hour (Space #1 in bus area, from 1000)

Hollywood Studios-once per hour
Leaves Shades of Green on the half hour (Starts a half hour before park opening)
Leaves DHS on the hour (Space C6)

Typhoon Lagoon/Downtown Disney-once per hour
Leaves Shades of Green on the half hour (starting at 0830)
Leaves TL at 10 till the hour (Space #9 from 0950)
Leaves DD on the hour (at the top of lot E by the red building)
Last bus leaves DTD at midnight

Ticket and Transportation Center-every 20 minutes
To reach both Magic Kingdom and Epcot via monorail
First bus leaves Shades of Green a half hour before park opening
Bus leaves TTC starting at 0840 (space #3)

All strollers must be folded before boarding the bus.
Please allow guests with wheelchairs to board first.
Bus loading area is on the ground level outside of the Express Café.
Buses may run late during inclement weather/heavy traffic.

Above schedule was posted Nov 10. It is subject to change.

ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT.

MPOG (Multi-Player Online Game) kiosks are available 24/7 and located across from AAFES. They can also be used to surf the internet, check e-mail and print boarding passes. At the Mini Marina, you have the chance to steer one of the militarys smallest fleets ever! The boats operate electronically and can be activated by purchasing tokens on the dock. One token gets you two minutes with the boat of your choice. Choose from the USS Army, USS Marine Corps, USS Navy, USS Coast Guard, USS Air Force or USS Lest We Forget! Four Wheel Monster truck fans can test their skills at the outdoor coin operated course next to Evergreens. Try your skills at one of the Video Arcades where dozens of grams and alluring prizes can be yours! Two brand new game rooms are located on the resort. There is one adjacent to Evergreens, where you can also shoot a game of pool while watching sporting events on one of the big televisions at the bar. The other arcade is located inside the hotel on the first floor of the Magnolia Wing and has an air hockey table, pool table and the latest video games.

Fitness Facilities. State of the art Fitness Center is open 24 hours every day for your exclusive use. Equipped with the best machines to give you a satisfying workout, it has been designed with the fitness conscious guest in mind. A valid room key is required for access. For safety concern, children under 16 are not permitted in the Fitness Center.

Tennis Courts. Two hard surface, lighted Tennis Courts are located on property and open 24 hours a day.

Pools. Swim laps or relax in the bubbling hot tub (children under 16 are not permitted) at the Magnolia Pool or splash with the kids in the childrens wading pool and Millpond Pool, located next to the playground. Both pools have areas for relaxing with sun chairs, tables and umbrellas. The Millpond Pool Pavilion provides towel services. No lifeguards are on duty, but swim aids are permitted. Pools are open 24 hours with quiet hours from 2200-0900

Remember the Fun. The Remember the Fun walkway is a unique tribute to our guests wonderful experience at Shades of Green. The brick walkway is located in the center of the property near the gazebo and boasts the names and messages of our guests. Bricks can be purchased at the East Meets West Gift Shop for $75. Personalized cards will be sent to the recipient of the brick, or you can choose to surprise them by having a brick in place before they arrive at Shades of Green! Bricks are 4x8 inches; limit two lines, 17 characters per line, including spaces and punctuation. 8x8 inch brick is $200 (Nov10).

DINING.

Manginos Bistro. Italian restaurant with nightly specials, an array of traditional Tuscan dishes and a sprawling wine list. Open daily for lunch 1130-1400 and dinner 1700-2300. Limited menu from 2200-2300 (Nov10).

Daily Lunch Special Soup, Sandwich and beverage; half $6.45, whole $7.95 (Nov10).

Manginos Bistro to go Menu - Baked chicken wings with ranch dressing $8.45; Chicken Caesar salad $8.50; Cheddar cheese burger served with lettuce, tomato and onion $8.50; 14 cheese pizza $13.95, additional toppings $1.75 each; Chicken Marsala $14.95; Childrens spaghetti with meat sauce and soft drink $4.95 (Nov10).

The Garden Gallery. Themed dinner buffets include a great selection of international cuisine and fresh fruit, soup and salad bar. Open daily from 1700-2130. $12.95 for adults; $4.50 for children 4-9 years old (Nov10). Open daily for breakfast from 0700-1100 with buffet $10.95 for adults; $5.95 for children 4-9 years old or ala Carte (Nov10).

Evergreens Sports Bar & Grill. Serves traditional American Cuisine with favorites like burgers, grilled sandwiches, soups and salads. Open 7 days a week from 1700-0000 Carry-out service and pizza delivery are also available.

8 cheese pizza $8, with pepperoni topping $8.50; Burger served with lettuce, tomato and onion $6.95; Side order of French fries $4.50; Hot chicken wings with ranch or blue cheese dressing $7.50; Soft drinks $1.95 (free refills); Domestic draft beer $4; Domestic pitcher beer $12 (Nov10).

On the Greens Grille. Serves quick and delicious grilled hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, sandwiches, quick snacks and cold drinks. Located between the Magnolia Pool and the Magnolia golf course putting green, and available to all resort guests. Open daily from 0900-1630.

Express Café. Counter service restaurant features breakfast sandwiches, pastries, snacks, fresh coffee, tea and more. Lunch items are available to go. Located next to the bus area. Open daily 0600-2030

Choices include Egg croissant with cheese, bacon, ham or sausage $5; Pancakes $4; Cereal $2; Banana $1; Roast beef sandwich $7.50; Ham and cheese sandwich $7; Tuna sandwich $6; Peanut butter and jelly $3; Coffee $1.25/1.75; Milk $2; Soda $1.75; Juice $1.75; Water $1.50 (Nov10).

Java Coffee. Java Café serves fresh Starbucks coffee and assorted pastry items. Located next to AAFES and open daily 0600-noon (Nov10).

America, The Ice Cream Parlour. 1950s themed ice cream parlour. Enjoy your favorite songs playing on an authentic Wurlitzer juke box. Choose from a variety of flavors of handmade ice cream, prepared at SoG. Open daily from 1600-2200 (Nov10)

Room Service. Available during breakfast (0700-1045) and dinner (1800-2300) hours (Nov10).

SHOPPING.

AAFES. Sells nearly everything you will need during your vacation, from sodas, snacks, and film, to postcards, stamps, t-shirts, sunglasses and toiletries. Magazines, books and newspapers are also available in addition to beer, wine and tobacco products. AAFES is located on the lobby level across from Guest services and open daily 0700-2100 (Nov10).

Fun pak of Kelloggs cereal (8 boxes) (1.13 ounces each) $4.19; ½ gallon milk $3.50; 1 liter water $2.50; Suave deodorant (2.6 ounces) $1.99; Coppertone sunscreen lotion 50 SPF (8 ounces) $8.99; Colgate toothbrush $2.99; Pepto Bismol (8 ounces) $3.49; Zest bar of soap (3.2 ounces) $1 (Nov10).

East Meets West. Gift Shoppe offers one of kind souvenirs from SoG and other AFRCs around the globe. A unique selection of jewelry, art, pottery, clothing and gifts are featured. Located on the lobby level next to the Attraction Tickets Office. Open daily 0915-1700 (Nov10). This is no longer at the Shades of Green

SPECIAL SERVICES.

Extra Magic Hours allow Guests staying at Shades of Green additional time in Disney theme parks in both the early morning and evening. Valid theme park ticket and Resort I.D. are required. To enjoy the Extra Magic Hours benefit, guests without the Park Hopper option can only visit the park offering the Extra Magic Hour benefit that day or night. Resort Guests wishing to enjoy Extra Magic Hour Evening need to present their current Shades of Green resort I.D. no sooner than two hours prior to park close.

Guest Services. Available to assist you in planning your vacation during your stay at SoG. Open daily from 0800-1700. Information on dinner shows, theater and other events off property as well as brochures and maps. They can also arrange dining reservations, child care services and taxi pick-ups. You can also schedule your Round of Golf at any of Disneys golf courses and receive a discount on rates. Specials are available for Florida residents. Guest Services is located at the Front Desk

BAGS (Baggage Airline Guest Services) is a remote airline check-in service allowing airline passengers to check their luggage and receive their boarding passes from the hotel lobby. Visit the Bell stand for price, instructions, times and participating airlines.

Alamo rental car is located in the main lobby.

Photo Magic photographic services are available in the main lobby. Schedule your individual, family or group portrait session. Additional services include flash memory to CD transfer. Check with the lobby desk for details.

Shady Shuttle is an 8 seat golf cart that transports guests to and from the entrance. The shuttle runs from 0700 to 1500, except during inclement weather.

Magnolia Spa is located by the Mill Pond pool. Services include massages, facials and spa packages to include treatments for younger guests (4-12 years). Phone 407.827.3529 for details. Reservations recommended. Swedish massage (50 minutes) $75; Magnolia purity facial (50 minutes) $80; Spa manicure and pedicure combination (80 minutes) $85. Hours 8 am to 8 pm (Nov10).

Internet/Telephone Services. There are two computers on the lobby level for surfing the Internet and checking e-mail. The computers are credit/debit card operated and cost $6.95 for 15 minutes, $10.95 for 30 minutes and $17.95 for 60 minutes. These computers are no longer there. Guests can use the computers and games in the Ratheyon Technology Center free of charge. Guests can now enjoy WiFi service in all guest rooms for $6.95 for 24 hours. WI-FI is currently free at the Shades of Green The following are WiFi Hot Spots: all guest rooms, all lobby areas, Garden Gallery, Manginos, Express Café, Family Technology Center and both pool areas.

Telephone rates are local and 800 numbers .50/first 30 minutes; .75 additional 30 minute intervals; Additional information is indicated on rate card in rooms. (Nov10)

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DISNEY RESORTS AND SHADES OF GREEN.

Shades of Green offers the following
Extra Magic Hours
Package delivery

Shades of Green does not offer the following
Disneys Magical Express
Disney Dining Plan
Key to the World Card
Bottomless drinking mug
Wake-up calls from Mickey Mouse or another Disney character

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS.

SoG is available to certain eligible members of the U.S. Armed Forces community, their families, and certain civilians in the Department of Defense (DoD) and elsewhere. For the exact requirements for authorized patronage at SoG, see http://shadesofgreen.org/eligibility.htm

BOOKING RULES.

See http://shadesofgreen.org/booking.htm

ROOM RATES.

Rates are subject to pay grade and party size verification upon check in. Upon check-in, a valid military ID or DoD ID and Leave and Earning Statement (LES) is required.

F.A.Q.
For a list of the most commonly asked questions about SoG, see http://shadesofgreen.org/faq-home.htm

Mousecellaneous Information

Above information copied from Green Scene Newsletter (Nov 10), SoG brochures and SoG website. All information should be confirmed with Shades of Green.

I saw the other thread was closed after I posted and was hoping I didn't post something I shouldn't have and got the thread closed!

Anyway, thanks for the new thread!

Yay, gald to be here.

BabyFu, I notice that as I was going to respond to somebody there, but I didn't see anything offensive, glad to know it was only because we were at 250 pages. Gues sthey will automatically close when they reach that now.

Ahh okay good to know the thread was closed because we reached 250 pages and not for any other reason!

ahh perfect! Everyone bookmark it!!!

I wish there had been some little bit of notice on the closing of the older one - with a link to the new one, but all is good. :) Here we are.

Was the other one done by official SoG staff? Kind of want to know who it is.....

Anyway, I have some changes to the info. I can PM you with it if you want. Or just list it here.

HI!!!

We are planning a trip to WDW at the end of November 2012.... We have planned on staying at Silver Lake Resort through Armed Forces Vacation Club during our stay..... I mean $380 for 7 nights is a great price. Now reading the threads about SOG I am wondering if there would be a benefit to staying at SOG. If I were to book our reservations at SOG and free dining comes up can we get it? How does this work? Do you get all the same benefits of staying at SOG as if you were staying at a Disney resort? Like the buses to and from parks? Extended hours?

This will be our 1st family trip to WDW and I want it to be great. I am hoping the Military tickets get extended past Sept 2012... when do they usually announce if the ticket specials will be extended?

Sorry for all the questions.....

If staying at SOG do you still qualify for free dining?

No you do not get the free dining, nor can you sign up for the dining plan at SOG as it is not owned by Disney. That is one of the negatives to SOG for us and no Magical Express.

Looks like I get to plan a vacation for October. Not sure if we will make it to WDW, but certainly we will be at Universal. Maybe we can squeeze a few days for Shades. First vacation in 3 years. :hyper:

Was the other one done by official SoG staff? Kind of want to know who it is.....

Anyway, I have some changes to the info. I can PM you with it if you want. Or just list it here.

Please feel free to list them here. I am, by no means, an expert. Just a Disney and Shades freak. :rotfl2:

Thanks for the PM Jusero.. We arrived home 2 days ago after spending 9 days at Shades. It is sad to say but I am glad to be home.. 8 full days in the parks is just too much for us.. I needed a vacation from our vacation..:rotfl2: A few things to point out.. In Evergreens they have taken out 1/2 half of the arcade games. :-( In the store they you now have to show Military ID to anyone buying alcohol. (So if you are bringing guests then you have to purchase it if they are not military.) If you get food to go at Manginos Bistro to go it takes a loooong time.. The buses ran on time and were easy to get. At the MK I got food poisoning at the Main St. bakery from the breakfast sandwich..:crazy2: I was the only one that had it and it was the only thing that I ate so I am assuming that it is what caused it. I was fine by the next morning. The fireworks were LOUD at 10 p.m. by the Magnolia pool.(Our room was facing the pool and we all got the full affect.) :rotfl2: Other than my few little gripes, We will be staying there again next year for 4 days and doing a 4 day Bahama cruise on the Disney Dream.. That to me is a perfect split of running/relaxing.. I am so excited for you all that are going soon. I can't wait to hear all about it and see the wonderful pics that Jusero takes..:thumbsup2

I believe some people have reported that internet usage is now free and there is no smoking allowed on balconies and patios.

don't all aafes scan IDs for alcohol anyway? I'm surprised that its' ONLY military ID they're doing - I thought they could scan a civilian ID just as well.

ahh perfect! Everyone bookmark it!!!

I wish there had been some little bit of notice on the closing of the older one - with a link to the new one, but all is good. :) Here we are.

Agree. On another site someone always points to the new site at the end not a slam shut:)

Thanks for starting the new one:thumbsup2

We are planning a trip to WDW at the end of November 2012.... We have planned on staying at Silver Lake Resort through Armed Forces Vacation Club during our stay..... I mean $380 for 7 nights is a great price. Now reading the threads about SOG I am wondering if there would be a benefit to staying at SOG. If I were to book our reservations at SOG and free dining comes up can we get it? How does this work? Do you get all the same benefits of staying at SOG as if you were staying at a Disney resort? Like the buses to and from parks? Extended hours?

Someone answered the No free dining but as for your other questions: you do get extended hours, you can get the package delivery, you can use all the buses, Disney and SoG. That is my biggest suggestion. Use all Disney transportation along with SoG buses. You can get to AK, HS much quicker (if you miss the SoG bus by using Disney buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!