SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Do you mean they were able to put everyone's name on the room reservation? or they were able to help you link everyone on MDE? When I have callled, they have said they can't change my husband's name off the shades reservation because shades requires it to be there and if they add another name then shades would charge us for 3 adults in the room. I'm interested to hear if that has changed and they are now able to put the correct names on the room reservation now!
I'd try again and talk to another CM. I'm pretty sure they can. I'm trying to remember how they fixed it, but we made a change in our SOG reservation (added a day) and anytime I've ever modified the length of my stay (which is like every trip, since I'm always trying to stretch the trip to be longer, lol), the reservation falls off MDE. This time when I added the reservation back on (3 adults, 1 child), it wouldn't let me add everyone.

I called WDW Tech and they were able to shift DH back as the reservation holder (older DD had ended up as the reservation holder instead of DH) and add youngest DD onto the reservation.

So excited to being staying at SOG next February for Princess half marathon. My brother - retired military - has sponsored my other brother, my sister and me, along with our spouses. Our last WDW trip as a family was when we were teens- around 1980ish and we stayed the resort when it was the Golf Resort. Cant wait for this time at Disney with my first and best friends.

If I am not staying at SOG can I bring a friend and go for brunch or dinner at the Garden Gallery?

So excited to being staying at SOG next February for Princess half marathon. My brother - retired military - has sponsored my other brother, my sister and me, along with our spouses. Our last WDW trip as a family was when we were teens- around 1980ish and we stayed the resort when it was the Golf Resort. Cant wait for this time at Disney with my first and best friends.
Oh my! With so much new to see, you are going to have a blast! Make sure you have your tickets and your SOG reservaton in your My Disney Experience and do your fastpasses 60 days in advance!

We are getting ready to purchase 11 tickets - 6 of the military salute and 5 military discount. I have heard that people who had salute tickets during park closure where just SOL because SOG and the MWR offices were not doing refunds if people cannot use them by December, which would be the case for us due to or kids' schedules and our DVC points. (if parks happen to still be closed in June) Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this?

We are getting ready to purchase 11 tickets - 6 of the military salute and 5 military discount. I have heard that people who had salute tickets during park closure where just SOL because SOG and the MWR offices were not doing refunds if people cannot use them by December, which would be the case for us due to or kids' schedules and our DVC points. (if parks happen to still be closed in June) Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this?
As far as I know its iffy. Some bases are allowing refunds, others are not. SOG was not giving refunds right before they closed until May 15.

One thing I've heard is people might be able to put this year's Salute tickets towards a ticket for next year (but not confirmed). I have been a long-time subscriber to Steve Bell's newsletter and also follow his posts https://www.militarydisneytips.com/blog/. He gets the right information when it is available. Also, if you check this specific post (and user comments who share their experiences) hopefully some information will follow soon. https://www.militarydisneytips.com/...te/disney-armed-forces-salute-ticket-refunds/

We bought our 2020 Salute tickets from SOG in March shortly before they closed. If you haven't purchased your tickets yet, I'd hold off right now if you don't have flexibility to delay your trip until later in the year. (If you do buy the Magic Your Way tickets from SOG, these are good until 2030 . Hopefully it becomes clearer about the Salute tickets).

Edit: My last sentence originally made no sense :)

What is the difference between military salute and military discount tickets?

Military salute (Military Promotional Ticket) is a deeply discounted ticket (e.g. - $301 for a 6 day Park Hopper for 2020) that has been made available to military members each year for the last few years. Disney decides each year (usually in the fall) if they will be renewing the promotion for the following year, and what the terms are. Each military member is restricted to 6 of these tickets per year.

Military discounted tickets are the normal Magic Your Way tickets with a military discount applied (e.g. - $500 for a 6 day Adult Park Hopper for 2020). There is no limit on the number of these tickets each member can purchase in a given year.

Hey everyone! So, I'm not sure how I'm going to be received here in the Shades of Green thread as I'm not an active member of the military, nor am I retired; however, I am now eligible to stay at Shades of Green because of the Purple Heart and Veterans Disability Equality Act of 2018. With that said, I have a few questions for those who have already booked using the new rules, or someone who might know: I know of the eligibility requirements as I do fall within those perimeters (I have rating from the VA), but when checking in, do you need to prove/show that when you book, or when you check in? Also, when it comes to bringing my family, they won't have any VA ID cards on them, nor any military dependent cards, will this be a problem when walking around the resort, purchasing things and/or boarding a bus to and from a park? I assume that if they are with me I can vouch for them, but thinking ahead. Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone! So, I'm not sure how I'm going to be received here in the Shades of Green thread as I'm not an active member of the military, nor am I retired; however, I am now eligible to stay at Shades of Green because of the Purple Heart and Veterans Disability Equality Act of 2018. With that said, I have a few questions for those who have already booked using the new rules, or someone who might know: I know of the eligibility requirements as I do fall within those perimeters (I have rating from the VA), but when checking in, do you need to prove/show that when you book, or when you check in? Also, when it comes to bringing my family, they won't have any VA ID cards on them, nor any military dependent cards, will this be a problem when walking around the resort, purchasing things and/or boarding a bus to and from a park? I assume that if they are with me I can vouch for them, but thinking ahead. Thanks in advance.

I can't speak for what documents would be needed at check in for persons falling under this eligibility, but I do know my DH has to show his retired ID at check-in. Might be best to check directly with Shades of Green for that requirement.

Regarding dependent access, one of my sons who regularly goes with us does not have a dependent ID and is unable to make purchases in the Shades BX but has had no issues with purchases in the restaurant or quick service spots in Shades. As far as getting on the bus, he has had no issues, just had to show his driver's license and the slip of paper Shades issues at check-in showing he is a guest at the resort.

I can't speak for what documents would be needed at check in for persons falling under this eligibility, but I do know my DH has to show his retired ID at check-in. Might be best to check directly with Shades of Green for that requirement.

Regarding dependent access, one of my sons who regularly goes with us does not have a dependent ID and is unable to make purchases in the Shades BX but has had no issues with purchases in the restaurant or quick service spots in Shades. As far as getting on the bus, he has had no issues, just had to show his driver's license and the slip of paper Shades issues at check-in showing he is a guest at the resort.

Thanks for you reply. I'm reading reviews on this on other sites, but I'm curious to know what you think of Shades. Do you like staying there? I'd love to hear more about it.

Thanks for you reply. I'm reading reviews on this on other sites, but I'm curious to know what you think of Shades. Do you like staying there? I'd love to hear more about it.

We love Shades. Our trip later this year will be our 12th time staying there. The rooms are very large and comfortable, and the resort is overall very relaxing. There isn't a lot of "Disney" theming though if that is something that would be important to you.

I wish more Veterans were allowed, to many dod civilians around for me, I'm retired myself. You will need to show your VA ID at the gate and again at check in. anyone coming or going by car should have a room key your name and room # they are staying in. I go on runs out to the poly and just carry ID and room key. For buses you get paper passes for everyone one staying in your party with just your name and how many adults and kids, you have to have this paper to get on the bus or they will not let you on, vouching will not work. Poly is across the street so if you lose a bus pass just go there and walk or get a cab.

Only other resort i enjoy more the shades right now is the cabins at fort wilderness. great pools, above average slide, ice cream stand at night is the best.

I wish more Veterans were allowed, to many dod civilians around for me, I'm retired myself. You will need to show your VA ID at the gate and again at check in. anyone coming or going by car should have a room key your name and room # they are staying in. I go on runs out to the poly and just carry ID and room key. For buses you get paper passes for everyone one staying in your party with just your name and how many adults and kids, you have to have this paper to get on the bus or they will not let you on, vouching will not work. Poly is across the street so if you lose a bus pass just go there and walk or get a cab.

Only other resort i enjoy more the shades right now is the cabins at fort wilderness. great pools, above average slide, ice cream stand at night is the best.

Thanks for your reply, I do appreciate it. Maybe more veterans will start going now that they opened up places like this to us who have a rating with the VA. One thing I've read about the SoG is that it can be difficult in getting a reservation because they book up quickly. I just tried for a year out, as a trial, and found nothing. It is like other Disney resorts in that if you keep checking something may open up?

Thanks for your reply, I do appreciate it. Maybe more veterans will start going now that they opened up places like this to us who have a rating with the VA. One thing I've read about the SoG is that it can be difficult in getting a reservation because they book up quickly. I just tried for a year out, as a trial, and found nothing. It is like other Disney resorts in that if you keep checking something may open up?
We LOVE SoG! I just checked, and it’s wide open for next year. We’ve always been able to get a reservation a few months out.

In terms of guest (non-military) ID, the website says "If you’re a sponsored guest, you need to show your Resort I.D. card and photo identification" and this has been my experience over four stays in the last five years (my dad is the retiree). Neither my brother nor I have military IDs, so we just use our driver's licenses for the photo identification (and the resort ID card is a little piece of paper they give you at check-in, as mentioned above). We use little plastic ID wallets to hold our ID, room card and license, and are easily able to show it for access at the bus, EMH, etc. I've regularly purchased items in the Exchange shop and never had an issue (they even helpfully held a pair of reading glasses that we found for my dad until he could come down from the room and buy this himself). I do think I've read that only those with military IDs can purchase alcohol, but I don't drink, so I can't vouch for that.

In terms of availability, I think like most Disney resorts, rooms for big events (holidays and RunDisney event weekends) can book out earlier than others. Also always worth keeping an eye on their discounts page, but they will change/reduce the discount value as they bookout.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter