Shanghai Disneyland VIP/Premier Tour

I just returned from our trip. We purchased the Concierge package the first day and just went with the free fast passes on our second day. The Concierge package would definitely fill up 5 hours of your time. I don't think the premier tour would be necessary. With the concierge package, you can enter through the alternate entrance, can see both the parade and the fireworks shows from a reserved section, get to skip the lines at one specific in-park restaurant, plus fast passes for the biggest rides. I think the premier tour would be a waste of money. You can easily navigate through the park on your own. Most of the vendors speak enough English to get you what you need. You can also buy it ahead of time so you don't have to get to the park first thing in the morning. I bought mine the same day in the morning and stopped at the theater right before the entrance to pick up my tickets. My park passes were purchased from the Toy Story hotel the night before. Have a blast, no matter what you choose!

I also strongly suggest Early Access if you're able to go in the morning and limited on time! Similarly, if you have to choose morning or afternoon, definitely go with morning. It wasn't until 1pm or so that the crowds really picked up. My Shanghai-based friend says that's true of a lot of touristy things around, as well. I intend on asking cast members next time I go, but I have to practice the Chinese for it, haha.

Unfortunately we don’t have a choice. We are mid-cruise on a 24-hour overnight stop, docking at 2 pm. Our only option was to go the first day. By the time we get there, it’ll probably be around 4 pm and we’ll stay until close. Hence the hope that the Premier Tour will enable us to see and do the high priority stuff without spending too much time in lines.

I just returned from our trip. We purchased the Concierge package the first day and just went with the free fast passes on our second day. The Concierge package would definitely fill up 5 hours of your time. I don't think the premier tour would be necessary. With the concierge package, you can enter through the alternate entrance, can see both the parade and the fireworks shows from a reserved section, get to skip the lines at one specific in-park restaurant, plus fast passes for the biggest rides. I think the premier tour would be a waste of money. You can easily navigate through the park on your own. Most of the vendors speak enough English to get you what you need. You can also buy it ahead of time so you don't have to get to the park first thing in the morning. I bought mine the same day in the morning and stopped at the theater right before the entrance to pick up my tickets. My park passes were purchased from the Toy Story hotel the night before. Have a blast, no matter what you choose!

Thank you! I will go for that option if the tour doesn’t pan out. I compared pricing for both and since we won’t have to buy a tour ticket for the guide we had already contracted, the price is comparable. But good to know I have more than one way to do this! All I want is TRON and Pirates, so everything else is bonus. :)

Hi Sherry Berry! Thanks for sharing your experience with the Concierge package. Sounds like a positive one. We only have one day at Shanghai Disneyland and unfortunately its on Easter Sunday. Can you tell me more about the reserved section for the fireworks and parade? Did you have to arrive super early or was there plenty of space for everyone? Also, were you able to get the free fast passes in addition to the ones that came with the Concierge package?

Thank you so much Sherry Berry!

Can you tell me more about the reserved section for the fireworks and parade? Did you have to arrive super early or was there plenty of space for everyone?

We just did two days with the concierge package - the first day we arrived about 10-15 minutes early to each show with no space issues. On the second day we only did the fireworks and due to the crowds, and coming from Tron, we didn't arrive to the VIP section until the start. A cast member brought us down in the dark as the lights are dimmed/off during the show. The second day/night it was pretty busy but we had no trouble with space eve being late.

The reserved section was well worth the price - you are right up front with no crowding.

were you able to get the free fast passes in addition to the ones that came with the Concierge package

Yes. As soon as we got into the park we grabbed free fast passes and used these before the ones included in the Concierge package.

Thank you so much gt5889a for sharing your experience! Glad to hear there wasn't any crowding. My husband is against us splurging like this, but I know he doesn't like crowds either so hopefully he'll agree after hearing this!

I wanted to confirm that with the concierge package you're allowed to enter an hour early and you use the same entrance in Disneytown as hotel guests.

Did you have any problems redeeming your tickets at the Walt Disney Grand Theater? Was there a long line? We're staying off site so I'm trying to gauge how early we need to be at the parks.

We only have one day to explore so I want to make this as seamless as possible so thank you all for your help!!!!

I've seen that you need everyone's names on hotel reservations for the tourist visas, does that include kids? Or just adults?

It is totally worth it - I hate lines! Since there is so little good info on crowd forecasting like there is with WDW I really liked knowing before we arrived we'd have no trouble hitting every attraction. For instance, today I took a look at the app and all of the big rides had 120+ minute waits. I pre-bought the package online when our days became available on the Shanghai Disney site.

I wanted to confirm that with the concierge package you're allowed to enter an hour early and you use the same entrance in Disneytown as hotel guests.

Sorry - not sure. We stayed at the Disneyland hotel so just natural went with that flow. But since you can come in via the Disney Town gate you do get in "ahead" of the rope drop line.

Did you have any problems redeeming your tickets at the Walt Disney Grand Theater? Was there a long line? We're staying off site so I'm trying to gauge how early we need to be at the parks.

On day one, one person was in line ahead of us, on day two no one - walked right up. The only wrinkle was since we waited to buy our park tickets at the hotel (extra fast pass!) our concierge tickets were not associated with park tickets. Both mornings it did take one of the more "experienced" cast members to process them. I want to say maybe 10 minutes total and then 5 minutes on day one for another cast member to explain all the perks. We skipped that on day 2.

Good luck!

I'm following this as well. We will be in Shanghai at the end of July and plan a day at Disney. I'm just getting started on my planning but it looks like we have to buy tickets online ahead but they can't be purchased too far ahead. Is that correct? Any major head's up you have for us is much appreciated. I feel like I know tons about both DL and WDW here in the states but I don't want to blow this one time chance at Shanghai. When we did HKDL in 2008 it was easy and felt like home, how does Shanghai compare? I believe it is bigger, is that correct? Thanks for any info you are all willing to share.

I'm following this as well. We will be in Shanghai at the end of July and plan a day at Disney. I'm just getting started on my planning but it looks like we have to buy tickets online ahead but they can't be purchased too far ahead. Is that correct? Any major head's up you have for us is much appreciated. I feel like I know tons about both DL and WDW here in the states but I don't want to blow this one time chance at Shanghai. When we did HKDL in 2008 it was easy and felt like home, how does Shanghai compare? I believe it is bigger, is that correct? Thanks for any info you are all willing to share.

I'd keep an eye on the tickets page on the SDL site.

You should be able to get your park tickets about 30 days in advance. I found it was a bit random how often they "refreshed" the calendar for the concierge tickets - sometimes you could see 10-14 days out and some times it would get down to only showing the next 4 or 5 days until someone hit the "update" button!

SDL is very big - It ends up losing a bit of that MK feeling due to it, but I also know if Disney could magically expand the MK walk ways and such to the scale of SDL they would. The area in front of the castle at SDL is mind boggling big to me. In my experience though it still has that polished operational feel that sets Disney way apart from the general theme/amusement park.

We just got back from our first trip there and are already planning a follow up trip with more time at the parks and the Disneyland Hotel. We really did enjoy it.

FYI - I called to book the Premier Tour for May 17, so 15 days ahead. They told me the window wasn’t open yet, so they took my email and said they would message me when it opened, likely a week in advance. We will be in Hong Kong at that time, so I will need cell service to be able to call. My phone bill is going to be big this month, lol.

We had our visit yesterday and it was one of the absolute best Disney days ever. We got the Premier Tour for 6 hours with a guide. It was worth every single penny. Let me see if I can remember all the details.

After trying to book 15 days out, I was mildly concerned I wouldn’t get the promised email when the booking window opened. Disney came through though and I got a voicemail a week out. I was in Hong Kong at the time, so I just called and was able to make the reservation. The cost was a little over $300 USD per person, so under $1k - considerably less than the comparable tour in the US. Payment was made by credit card over the phone using an automated system. I was told I would get a call a couple days ahead of the tour to confirm details.

For reference, we are traveling by cruise ship and had already arranged for a driver and local guide to pick us up at the ship to take us to the park. We expected to arrive at 2 pm, then had to pass through immigration. Drive to the park was anticipated for 1-1.5 hours depending on traffic, so we set the tour for 4:30 pm. The park was open until 8:30 pm. We knew it would be short, so the Premier Tour was critical for us to get the maximum out of the time.

Three days before, I got a call from Disney to confirm but I missed the voicemail and didn’t get it until the following morning. I was able to call and everything looked good. They emailed a confirmation to me and I replied with a list of attractions we were interested in.

Two days later on the day of the tour, all hell broke loose: the ship was delayed 12 hours into Shanghai and we would completely miss the day. I spent about 6 hours on email and phone trying to make arrangements to move everything to the next day. The Disney tickets which were purchased as part of the transportation tour were non-refundable so we had to buy additional tickets for Saturday. Disney let us move the Premier Tour, although I had to provide a letter from the cruise ship confirming the delay.

As it turned out, this was a complete blessing. Because of the delay, the ship, which was originally scheduled to leave at 2 pm the next day, was rescheduled to leave in the middle of the night, meaning we now had the whole day! We arranged for the driver and guide to pick us up at 8 am, since we didn’t know how long immigration would last. We breezed through and were at the park in 30 minutes (hardly any traffic on a Saturday morning). Because we had the Premier Tour, we weren’t too concerned with getting right in at open.

We ran from 9:30 to 3:30 and got through our whole list and more. Everything was virtually walk-on. We would go in through the exit, Premier Access lines, or cast member entrances. At most we waited for five minutes. The guide would ask what seats we wanted (front, middle or back) or arrange the best seats (middle top for Soarin’, front for TRON and Pirates). In one case, we had a whole Pirates boat just for us. She was entirely at our disposal - we just told her what we wanted and she took us there. We walked right into the Mickey meet and greet. Lines were 40-60 minutes in many cases and nearly two hours for 7DMT and Soarin’. We rode TRON twice and Pirates three times in a row. We’re not parade or fireworks people, but she would have arranged VIP viewing areas if we had wanted, even for after the tour ended. We also got 20% off dining and in the main store on Mickey Avenue (had to present my passport which caused some confusion at first, until we finally got a manager who knew what I was talking about). Our guide also gave me a special souvenir pin of Mickey and Walt; unfortunately it was only one per group.

The park is so big and there’s a lot of walking, so we still would have been pressed to get most of our list done with our original plans, so this ended up being a dream day. I’ve never done a VIP tour in the US parks, but this one just seemed extra special because the park was all new to us. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I wanted to add some comments about the park itself:

- It’s massive and sprawling. Plan for lots of walking. We brought a travel stroller along and were so thankful we did. You can also rent strollers at the park. Even on a busy day, it rarely felt crowded because there was so much room. There are no choke points like at DL where you are shoulder to shoulder with people.

- The park is gorgeous. I took more pictures than any other day on our trip so far. It’s very clean too.

- This is the most technologically advanced park we’ve ever seen. The US parks can’t compare.

- Pirates is unbelievable. Trying to describe it is impossible. The first appearance with Jack and when the ships are raised...holy cow. We also really enjoyed TRON, of course. Peter Pan was a nice surprise; much better than the US parks (I can never understand why people wait an hour for that ride!). We liked seeing the audience get into Soarin’; they just love it and get excited over it. The guide said Soarin’ is the most popular, followed by 7DMT.

- Popcorn doesn’t appear to be as prevalent as in the US parks. We only saw one cart the entire time. I collect popcorn buckets and bought the two they had. Caramel corn is also the norm and it’s served warm (and it’s DELICIOUS!).

- Have cash with you; carts don’t take credit cards.

- People do cut in line and crowd. There were moments when waiting to buy things or ordering at window where we’d end up with 4-5 people hanging at our elbows. It’s really disconcerting and irritating but apparently normal here. In many cases though, people were friendly and even let us take their pictures. We saw a lot of young women and kids dressed up.

Last edited:
Can the VIP tours skip the line to meet the Princesses too?

Yes, I’m sure. We weren’t planning to do any character meet and greets (the guide took us to Mickey first without us asking for it and we went right in ahead of the 30-minute line). She then asked if there were any other characters we wanted to meet. We said no, but I’m sure you could do that.

I'm just curious if they would be able to get a reservation to Club 33. I'd be willing to pay for access but just skipping lines for rides would not be worth it to me.
Or if they could get special seating for a once in a lifetime show (ex. Mickey's 90th Birthday fireworks) or a ride grand opening, etc.

I'm also wondering what the pin looks like. Would you be able to upload a picture?

I doubt Club 33 - I’ve been many times to the one at DL and even those members can’t get reciprocal reservations at other clubs, so my guess is the Premier Tour wouldn’t be able to do it. You’d have to ask about the other events.

I can upload a photo of the pin later (just tried it but the picture was too big and I don’t have time to resize right now).

I doubt Club 33 - I’ve been many times to the one at DL and even those members can’t get reciprocal reservations at other clubs, so my guess is the Premier Tour wouldn’t be able to do it. You’d have to ask about the other events.

I can upload a photo of the pin later (just tried it but the picture was too big and I don’t have time to resize right now).

Reciprocal reservations would not be expected but Shanghai's Club 33 is sometimes included in "Adventures By Disney" trips which is why I ask. It seems to be the easiest club 33 to get into without knowing someone since JCB's The Club credit card is harder to obtain than an Amex Centurion.

Reciprocal reservations would not be expected but Shanghai's Club 33 is sometimes included in "Adventures By Disney" trips which is why I ask. It seems to be the easiest club 33 to get into without knowing someone since JCB's The Club credit card is harder to obtain than an Amex Centurion.

If you find out the answer, please let me know! Here’s a picture of the pin. We also tried to get first time visitor buttons but apparently that’s not a thing; they just have generic celebration pins for all occasions.

Attachments

• 9220479E-C4DE-4FDF-A2E6-C6E07C68CD92.jpeg
    9220479E-C4DE-4FDF-A2E6-C6E07C68CD92.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 7

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter