Shanghai Surprise and Hong Kong Hospitality: A July 2018 China Family Trip Report - VIDEO ADDED p. 3

I can answer some of these questions, as I live in China.

You need a passport and a Tourist visa. If he was here on another kind of visa, he probably needed more paperwork, but I've been told the tourist visa is pretty straightforward (but still a hassle, because many places don't need a visa at all for tourism). Moving around in the country shouldn't be too much of an issue, but you will need to show your passport and visa anytime you transport from one city to another (train or plane), as well as any time you check into a hotel. If you're going into rural areas, you may need to show it if you're in a car at some point. It IS a good idea to keep your passport on you, or at least a picture on your phone of your info page and your Chinese visa. I know it's generally not recommended for general travel and obviously be REALLY CAREFUL with it, but it's better to have it then not. If you're worried about it, do the phone photo. For me, I don't feel like it's a ton of stuff, but I can see how it will feel like a hassle to some people, especially just travelling.

Chinese hotel beds are generally smaller, but a high-end western hotel will be more likely to have a big bed. Check the reviews.

You don't really need to know Chinese if you're keeping to touristy-things in a big city, but you will have to heavily rely on signs, planning, and figuring stuff out on your own. Chinese is also REALLY HARD, so there's not a good amount to learn before you go that would require less planning in other areas. I think it's easier, from a language perspective, for a foreigner to use a subway than to use a random taxi, for example, because you can look up how to get from point a to point b and read a map in English before you go, but a taxi driver might not understand your request even if you are saying it "correctly", but if you're not good at following maps, that doesn't work for you. (A hired driver may be different). Always carry your hotel address with you, to show someone so that you can at least get back there if you get lost.

There's different levels of sleepers. As a foreigner, at minimum, you probably want a soft sleeper. And, keep in mind other people will "use" the lower bunks by sitting there or whatever, even if it's "yours". Higher bunks are better. Honestly, based on what you said about hotels, I don't know that a sleeper train is a good idea for you.

You can get pictures if you STAND OUT, even in the touristy areas because there's other Chinese tourists from rural areas that have never seen blonde hair or a person over 6 feet, but it's less and less common every year. You're more likely to get "stealth" photos than people asking, but I honestly prefer when people ask. But then, I stand out because I'm fat, which is a more negative trait than others.

I can answer some of these questions, as I live in China.

You need a passport and a Tourist visa. If he was here on another kind of visa, he probably needed more paperwork, but I've been told the tourist visa is pretty straightforward (but still a hassle, because many places don't need a visa at all for tourism). Moving around in the country shouldn't be too much of an issue, but you will need to show your passport and visa anytime you transport from one city to another (train or plane), as well as any time you check into a hotel. If you're going into rural areas, you may need to show it if you're in a car at some point. It IS a good idea to keep your passport on you, or at least a picture on your phone of your info page and your Chinese visa. I know it's generally not recommended for general travel and obviously be REALLY CAREFUL with it, but it's better to have it then not. If you're worried about it, do the phone photo. For me, I don't feel like it's a ton of stuff, but I can see how it will feel like a hassle to some people, especially just travelling.

Chinese hotel beds are generally smaller, but a high-end western hotel will be more likely to have a big bed. Check the reviews.

You don't really need to know Chinese if you're keeping to touristy-things in a big city, but you will have to heavily rely on signs, planning, and figuring stuff out on your own. Chinese is also REALLY HARD, so there's not a good amount to learn before you go that would require less planning in other areas. I think it's easier, from a language perspective, for a foreigner to use a subway than to use a random taxi, for example, because you can look up how to get from point a to point b and read a map in English before you go, but a taxi driver might not understand your request even if you are saying it "correctly", but if you're not good at following maps, that doesn't work for you. (A hired driver may be different). Always carry your hotel address with you, to show someone so that you can at least get back there if you get lost.

There's different levels of sleepers. As a foreigner, at minimum, you probably want a soft sleeper. And, keep in mind other people will "use" the lower bunks by sitting there or whatever, even if it's "yours". Higher bunks are better. Honestly, based on what you said about hotels, I don't know that a sleeper train is a good idea for you.

You can get pictures if you STAND OUT, even in the touristy areas because there's other Chinese tourists from rural areas that have never seen blonde hair or a person over 6 feet, but it's less and less common every year. You're more likely to get "stealth" photos than people asking, but I honestly prefer when people ask. But then, I stand out because I'm fat, which is a more negative trait than others.

Thanks so much for your information...

On the passport, a friend suggested that we get a passport card, to carry with us instead of carrying our regular passport around with us, as well take pictures of the regular passport for our phone... do we need to keep the visa with us as well?

We are just in the beginning stages of planning... so I am trying to learn, find out, anything and everything I can...

Any information or suggestion is always appreciated...

Last edited:
The visa will be in your passport, so take a picture of that with your phone.

Check with your friend and see if he was a tourist or if he was "working" or something. I thought he rules are quite different and some of his notes make me think it might not have been a tourist. But, I've never been a tourist, so maybe it's closer than I realize.

Thanks so much for your information...

On the passport, a friend suggested that we get a passport card, to carry with us instead of carrying our regular passport around with us, as well take pictures of the regular passport for our phone... do we need to keep the visa with us as well?

We are just in the beginning stages of planning... so I am trying to learn, find out, anything and everything I can...

Any information or suggestion is always appreciated...

Just wanted to pipe in and say that for the tourist visa you will need to book your flights first and show proof of where you're staying (Booking.com receipts are fine and you can pick one with free cancellation) before you can get a visa. The photo requirements are also different from UK/USA sizes so you'll need to go to a photographer not a passport photo machine.

The form is incredibly onerous so I would print one and do a practice run first.

As someone who is 5"1 (and recently blonde!) with a 6"3 boyfriend and with both of us covered from shoulders to toes in tattoos, aside from the stealth photo taking you probably won't garner as much attention as you expect. That saying I haven't been to China, but have been to other parts of Asia. It's mostly generational and most people aren't bothered.

For planning I'd really recommend TDR Explorer and DisneyTouristBlog for Disney planning and the Lonely Planet China guide is very comprehensive and will answer many of your starter questions.

Just wanted to pipe in and say that for the tourist visa you will need to book your flights first and show proof of where you're staying (Booking.com receipts are fine and you can pick one with free cancellation) before you can get a visa. The photo requirements are also different from UK/USA sizes so you'll need to go to a photographer not a passport photo machine.

The form is incredibly onerous so I would print one and do a practice run first.

As someone who is 5"1 (and recently blonde!) with a 6"3 boyfriend and with both of us covered from shoulders to toes in tattoos, aside from the stealth photo taking you probably won't garner as much attention as you expect. That saying I haven't been to China, but have been to other parts of Asia. It's mostly generational and most people aren't bothered.

For planning I'd really recommend TDR Explorer and DisneyTouristBlog for Disney planning and the Lonely Planet China guide is very comprehensive and will answer many of your starter questions.

Thanks so much for the info...

Great idea about printing an copy and practicing... and the picture size...

As far as the pictures I really am good with whatever... we really just roll with the flow... I like to just have an idea about what to expect... We were in the Dominican a couple of years ago... and this little girl kept staring at me... getting closer and closer... so the pool hostess came over and said the girls parents had sent her over to ask if the little girl could come over and touch my hair...I'm not sure where they were from, the hostess said, I don't think that the little girl has ever seen blonde hair before... I was like... sure no problem...There were lots of other women with different color hair... laying laying by the pool... I was wondering why me.. Then it hit me I had on my Minnie Mouse cover up.... so she came over and touch my hair... and pointed to my cover up... and said Minnie Mouse... and off she went... to cute... I guess that no matter where you are in the world... Mickey and Minnie are an international sign of friendship...

An co-worker told my DH that we would have to "present ourselves in person" at a Chinese Consulate, We live in Fl.... I looked up which consulate region Florida is in and its Houston TX.... so we would have to plan a trip to get the visa, and pay for faster service... We are planning to be in New York at the end of the year, I was wondering if we have to go to Texas or since we already have a trip planned could we just do it in New York...or is it a must that we do it in the region that is listed...

The visa will be in your passport, so take a picture of that with your phone.

Check with your friend and see if he was a tourist or if he was "working" or something. I thought he rules are quite different and some of his notes make me think it might not have been a tourist. But, I've never been a tourist, so maybe it's closer than I realize.

He was working for 3 months then his family joined him and they spent 3 weeks traveling all around China...

BTW, did they say what breed of cats those were in the cage cafe you visited? The curled ears are characteristic of American Curls. I don’t think that’s a characteristic of any other breed but I’m no expert either. LOL!
We didn't see or hear anything (that we could understand, anyway!) about the cat breeds - but you're right, they were very distinctive looking.

I’ve never understood the aversion to using them. I’d much rather squat low than try to hover over some nasty toilet seats anywhere! (As long as I’ve brought my own tp and remember to roll pant legs if you’re wearing them!)
It's funny - you do hear a lot of negative publicity about them, but after you've tried them you realize it's really not a big deal. As far as cleanliness they were no better and no worse than any other toilets we used.

Thank you so much for the really well done TR...The video sealed the deal for me...

The first thought is your family is just adorable, Honestly just so cute!!!! I will say the look on your daughters face when watching the acrobats is a priceless moment you could just see the wonder and magic in her eyes...As well I love your park shirt.... just so you know I am so stealing this... I hope you won't mind... we to are on the path to do all six parks... we have 3 right now, WDW, Disneyland California, and Disneyland Paris under our belts... so looking at the other 3..

We are looking at late April, early May of 2020... Not really sure... This is a good time of year for DH with his job as well our anniversary is at the beginning of May, and we are empty-nester's so it would be just the 2 of us... We too like the idea of at our own pace... I will be checking out Mr. Oranges car service. * Did you book the driver for all day? and if you don't mind what was the cost?

Did you like the Disney resorts that you stayed? American King Beds?

As well in the other hotels is getting a American King Bed possible? this is something that DH and I need, he is almost 6'5" and I am 5'9" so we are both tall.. and we both have some back and neck issues...

What papers do you need to travel to China, A guy that used to work with my DH... He and his family went... he told DH that you need so much paperwork to travel over there and moving around is a nightmare going through check point after check point... I thought that I read somewhere that you need a Passport, and Travel/ Tourist Visa... I really just started looking and grazing around the information pools on this so I'm really in the dark about where to start and what is needed... any advice would be much appreciated...

My husband is tall, and I am blonde... the guy that worked with my DH said that we would get alot of attention because of this.. DH and I are go with the flow type of people... It seemed that they wanted pictures with your kids... or did you and your DH get asked for pictures as well?

DH has always wanted to do the sleeper train thing... So I was thinking that this might be a good choice... Is there different type or levels of sleep compartments on the trains?...
Can you give me the name or info where to find the info about the train...

Did you learn any Chinese before you left?

In some cases we booked the Mr. Orange service for the full day (e.g. in Beijing - the driver picked us up from the train station early morning, probably about 7 a.m., and we had him booked for the full day to take us to the Great Wall. We wound up coming back to Beijing probably around 3 pm because the weather wasn't great, but could have stayed out later if it was.) In some cases though, we just booked a pickup at a hotel and dropoff at a train station, or vice versa. Note that our drivers did not speak English and did not act as tour guides - we had already determined where we wanted them to take us and we had the resources to manage our own visit once we got there (though at the Great Wall and at the Terracotta Warriors, the drivers helped us buy entrance tickets to those attractions).

Pricing was as follows in US dollars - this included 4 passengers and luggage (so they gave us a van for each trip, rather than a smaller car):

· Shanghai Airport to Shanghai Disney $56
· Multi stops throughout day in Shanghai then to train station $134
· Beijing train station to Great Wall then back to Beijing hotel $163
· Beijing hotel to train station $51
· Xi'an train station to Terracotta Warriors back to Xi'an hotel $134
· Xi'an hotel to Xi'an train station $49
· Chengdu train station to Chengdu hotel $47
· Chengdu hotel to airport with stops in Chengdu enroute $106

We did enjoy the Disney resorts where we stayed. The Toy Story Hotel in Shanghai is the equivalent of a Value resort in Florida, so it's definitely not fancy, but the theme is cute. The Explorers Lodge in Hong Kong was much more upscale and very reminiscent of Animal Kingdom Lodge, which we love. We were also big fans of the Adventurers Club back when it was open on Pleasure Island - so it was fun to revisit that theme through the hotel. From what I recall, the beds were queens at best, and might have even been doubles. Keep in mind though, we were sharing 4 to a room. DH and I are both 5'9" and didn't have trouble with the beds - but at 6'5" I can understand the concern!

We are Canadian and did need passports and visas to visit. You hear a lot of horror stories about the visa application process, but it's not so bad once you get started on it. You do need to give a day by day accounting of where you will be (hotel name and address) as part of the application, and it gets tiresome filling that out multiple times... but it's not hard. I will say that I noticed after sending off the application that I made an error in one of the dates on our application, and was worried they would reject it outright, but we had no trouble having our visas issued.

I got asked for pictures a couple of times, and DH did as well, but mostly it was our kids that people focused on.

The best resource for train travel in China is a website called China DIY Travel. Foreigners cannot purchase train tickets online, so this is an agency that will do that for you for a small commission. They also have a ton of information on their site about the different classes of trains, how to navigate a Chinese train station, etc. They will even send you some phrases in Chinese characters to show your taxi drivers to ensure they take you to the correct train station and drop you off at the right doors. I felt very well prepared after using all of their resources to plan our trip and recommend them highly. The sleeper trains were a very efficient use of time for us since we were travelling long distances during the course of a relatively short trip. The first sleeper we took, from Shanghai to Beijing, was very nice and new and modern. The second one, from Beijing to Xi'an, was a little less so - but I would still recommend it. I don't recall there being different classes of sleeper compartments (though there are some lower-cost non-sleeper seats on the train), but the trains themselves vary in age and facilities.

We did have the best of intentions to learn some Chinese before our trip... but that didn't really happen. You can survive a trip without it. At the end of the day, all we could really say was ni hao (hello).

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the info...

Great idea about printing an copy and practicing... and the picture size...

As far as the pictures I really am good with whatever... we really just roll with the flow... I like to just have an idea about what to expect... We were in the Dominican a couple of years ago... and this little girl kept staring at me... getting closer and closer... so the pool hostess came over and said the girls parents had sent her over to ask if the little girl could come over and touch my hair...I'm not sure where they were from, the hostess said, I don't think that the little girl has ever seen blonde hair before... I was like... sure no problem...There were lots of other women with different color hair... laying laying by the pool... I was wondering why me.. Then it hit me I had on my Minnie Mouse cover up.... so she came over and touch my hair... and pointed to my cover up... and said Minnie Mouse... and off she went... to cute... I guess that no matter where you are in the world... Mickey and Minnie are an international sign of friendship...

An co-worker told my DH that we would have to "present ourselves in person" at a Chinese Consulate, We live in Fl.... I looked up which consulate region Florida is in and its Houston TX.... so we would have to plan a trip to get the visa, and pay for faster service... We are planning to be in New York at the end of the year, I was wondering if we have to go to Texas or since we already have a trip planned could we just do it in New York...or is it a must that we do it in the region that is listed...

It probably varies from country to country, but - in our case, we could have presented in person at a Chinese Consulate; instead of doing that, we did the mail-in application which is processed by a 3rd party. You pay a fee for them to do the processing on your behalf, but it saves you the trip. I would guess the US might have something similar.

We provided the email confirmations from our hotels and that was sufficient.

For the nights we were on the train, we just said "Overnight train #XX from Shanghai to Beijing" and that was also sufficient. Again - that got us processed through the Canadian system; YMMV.

It probably varies from country to country, but - in our case, we could have presented in person at a Chinese Consulate; instead of doing that, we did the mail-in application which is processed by a 3rd party. You pay a fee for them to do the processing on your behalf, but it saves you the trip. I would guess the US might have something similar.

Ah that's good to know - I work 4 streets away from the London China embassy so have got lucky, it's still criminally expensive though for someone used to no-Visa travel.

Wow what an adventure! Thank you so much for recommending your trip report on my thread, I loved reading through it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter