Sharing a meal with a 6 year old at TDR?

rkold

Mouseketeer
So my 6 year old and I are both vegetarians. There are no children's vegetarian meals at any restaurant or quick service location, just adults. My 6 year old eats like a bird and is not going to finish an adult size portion of food (even the smaller Japanese size adult portions) so can I order an appetizer, main course and two desserts and just share with her or will this be an issue? We didn't have this problem last trip (we didn't visit TDR) and mostly got pizza or ate in specifically vegan restaurants. (and in Osaka USJ we shared pizza.)

Thanks in advance. :)

Most meals are served in "sets", so I'm not sure if you can order multiples of just one component (e.g. dessert).

The meals are smaller than American sizes. Maybe you can share a meal and supplement it with snacks if you're still hungry?

Most meals are served in "sets", so I'm not sure if you can order multiples of just one component (e.g. dessert).

The meals are smaller than American sizes. Maybe you can share a meal and supplement it with snacks if you're still hungry?

If we can only get 1 dessert, I'm fine with that. I'm working on trying to get in shape, so I am happy to let her have most of it and dessert is one of the few snacks that is safe.

But yes, do you think the restaurants would balk at us sharing a meal or would that just seem like a parental thing? I am happy to supplement with snacks, I just know my daughter is not going to eat a Japanese sized adult meal. She is relatively petite (I'm hoping she makes the height line for Journey to the Center of the Earth) and looks 6 or younger.

And thank you!

You can get dessert separate. We got quite a few souvenir cups with dessert. :) But you can get it without the souvenir cup as well.

Sharing definitely won't be a problem at the counter service places. The sit down places, I'm not sure - I think it's okay? We only did Ristorante di Canaletto and Oceano buffet (so obviously had to pay per head). Ristorante di Canaletto we got both kids (4 and 7 at the time) the kids' set - mostly to avoid a fight. :laughing: At a restaurant in Nikko, we weren't all that hungry and got one set and a donburi to share among the 4 of us, and asked for extra bowls. It seemed okay, didn't get any weird looks or anything.

You can get dessert separate. We got quite a few souvenir cups with dessert. :) But you can get it without the souvenir cup as well.

Sharing definitely won't be a problem at the counter service places. The sit down places, I'm not sure - I think it's okay? We only did Ristorante di Canaletto and Oceano buffet (so obviously had to pay per head). Ristorante di Canaletto we got both kids (4 and 7 at the time) the kids' set - mostly to avoid a fight. :laughing: At a restaurant in Nikko, we weren't all that hungry and got one set and a donburi to share among the 4 of us, and asked for extra bowls. It seemed okay, didn't get any weird looks or anything.

We can't do counter service at TDR, none of their entrees are vegetarian, we have to do sit downs because those are the only places with vegetarian entrees and they only have adult vegetarian entrees, no vegetarian kid's offerings. I just don't want to have to order 2 pizzas or 2 pastas and have lots of leftovers I then have to carry around the park. It seems like a huge waste of money and food.

I've never shared in a table service restaurant (because the meals are small), but I highly doubt you will encounter any issues (other than language issues in asking for a separate plate and in clarifying that you only want to order one meal, even though there are two people sitting at the table).

TDR Explorer's guide (http://tdrexplorer.com/20-japanese-phrases-for-dining-at-tokyo-disney-resort/) doesn't seem to include "shared" meals, so you may want to have a go at using an app to translate "we'll share one meal" (or a similar phrase) before you go.

I've never shared in a table service restaurant (because the meals are small), but I highly doubt you will encounter any issues (other than language issues in asking for a separate plate and in clarifying that you only want to order one meal, even though there are two people sitting at the table).

TDR Explorer's guide (http://tdrexplorer.com/20-japanese-phrases-for-dining-at-tokyo-disney-resort/) doesn't seem to include "shared" meals, so you may want to have a go at using an app to translate "we'll share one meal" (or a similar phrase) before you go.

Thank you again. I have an app which I used last June which did a great job. I would put in what I wanted to say and it would translate it and then say it in Japanese as well. :)

I'm pretty sure some of the counter service restaurants serve vegetarian options.

Take a look at this review: Plazma Ray's Diner

Oh wow, awesome! This is the first counter service place I've seen that has vegetarian options outside dessert and it even looks like things we would both eat. Thank you! I have been going by the Tokyo Disney website for meal options. I keep hoping they will have things like plain cheese pizza as an option. lol

Thank you, wow, thank you so much! It is really nice to see TDR adding more vegetarian options. In '09 when I went to Sea other than desserts and one sit down restaurant there was nothing. I was so hungry by dinner time. lol I am going to bring snacks as well, we're doing Disney first because I am hoping the excitement of Disney will help my daughter adjust to the time change and keep her up and moving vs. visiting temples and shrines, like we did our first day last trip. >>;

Out of interest, aren't desserts usually difficult for vegan/vegetarians? As a lot use gelatine?

Out of interest, aren't desserts usually difficult for vegan/vegetarians? As a lot use gelatine?

Depends on the dessert. Mousse desserts tend to use gelatin, ice cream does not. Though in Japan, I'v heard they sometime use agar-agar for mousse because it is easier to come by and gives the same consistency. In general, I try to avoid mousse unless it is specifically listed as vegetarian, which a few of the TDR gelatins are oddly enough.

However, I'm a big ice cream fan and I actually really like Japanese soft serve and trying different and interesting flavors. (The worst I have tried is Maple Leaf, my favorite was mikan or blueberry. I've heard there is lemon in Hiroshima!) I'm also expecting to eat the mini waffles in TDR. I've gotten mini waffles from Manneken a few times. At home, I try to eat a couple meals a week vegan, but in Japan I eat dairy+eggs. Though outside of TDR, I do sometimes go to vegan places. T's Tantan Ramen was quite good.

I'm pretty sure some of the counter service restaurants serve vegetarian options.

Take a look at this review: Plazma Ray's Diner

The veggie rice bowl at Plasma Ray's is quite good! We ate that several times during our trip due to it being the only quick-service entree available for vegetarians. They do mark on the menu that it is "recommended for vegetarians".

They offered a vegetarian curry at the Hungry Bear Cafe. You can get the curry on the side or not at all if curry is not your thing.

We didn't go to Hungry Bear. We mostly ate at the Pizza place in Ikspiari. Overall I found the selection of vegetarian food in TDR underwhelming and they had no vegetarian kid's meals and were not willing to work with us on that. Overall, the rides were nice and the parks were fun but if I was child-free I would probably not go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter