Ships in Grand Cayman today?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Didn't notice any ships in port today. Wonder if it was just too rough to tender people off the ships into Georgetown today?

Didn't notice any ships in port today. Wonder if it was just too rough to tender people off the ships into Georgetown today?

https://www.caymanport.com/

Port of George Town is closed today Dec 11, 2018 to cruise and cargo operations today due to a cold front impacting our area.
The conditions will be evaluated again this evening.

We will keep posting updates on the website.

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

https://www.caymanport.com/

Port of George Town is closed today Dec 11, 2018 to cruise and cargo operations today due to a cold front impacting our area.
The conditions will be evaluated again this evening.

We will keep posting updates on the website.

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Thought something was up. Thanks for clarifying it

I was on the Fantasy on Tuesday and we were rocking pretty hard. I wasn't surprised we didn't port. I would not have gotten on a tender that day!

I was on the Fantasy on Tuesday and we were rocking pretty hard. I wasn't surprised we didn't port. I would not have gotten on a tender that day!

Yeah that was a crappy day. At Animators Palate, it was a parade of sick kids going to rooms, mine included. I heard Hrand Cayman gets scrapped often.

I have 2-3 days left here in Grand Cayman but while here on this trip we have had several days with a real Typhoon Lagoon wave pool experience!!

I was on the exact same cruise, at the exact same time... in 2017... and we had a very similar outcome. Captain Fabian made the decision to skip Grand Cayman on arrival due to the very high waves on that day. This is the only cruise I've been on that I have been borderline seasick... and weatherwise, temperatures were well below seasonal... up until the last sea day and Castaway Cay

Yeah that was a crappy day. At Animators Palate, it was a parade of sick kids going to rooms, mine included. I heard Hrand Cayman gets scrapped often.

That is rough for kids :( I was surprised we didn't need anything. I had several options packed. We cruised in mid-November one year and the seas were very similar. Not sure if it's the time of year or just what has happened.

That is rough for kids :( I was surprised we didn't need anything. I had several options packed. We cruised in mid-November one year and the seas were very similar. Not sure if it's the time of year or just what has happened.
I think it might be the time of the year? Are the seas just rougher in the colder months?

Cayman can have issues when the wind and seas are from the west. When blowing from the west this is directly into the port area. Since the port area is completely unprotected (what sailors might call an open roadstead), tendering can be a problem. IME this is more common in winter (Dec Jan Feb and even into March) and very unusual other times of the year.

SOMETIMES an alternate anchorage on the south side, SPOTTS, will accommodate a couple of ships but there is nothing here except a small pier so only a couple of ships can be accommodated and it is not a guarantee that the conditions will be favorable here. If landing at Spotts everyone gets to ride to downtown for shopping or a longer ride to 7 Mile beach which will be experiencing the weather that prevented the tendering in the first place.

Cayman can have issues when the wind and seas are from the west. When blowing from the west this is directly into the port area. Since the port area is completely unprotected (what sailors might call an open roadstead), tendering can be a problem. IME this is more common in winter (Dec Jan Feb and even into March) and very unusual other times of the year.

SOMETIMES an alternate anchorage on the south side, SPOTTS, will accommodate a couple of ships but there is nothing here except a small pier so only a couple of ships can be accommodated and it is not a guarantee that the conditions will be favorable here. If landing at Spotts everyone gets to ride to downtown for shopping or a longer ride to 7 Mile beach which will be experiencing the weather that prevented the tendering in the first place.
Thanks for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter