Shocked and horrified - Disney Store Shipping!!!

rella's fan

DIS Veteran
Just a warning to anyone thinking of purchasing online from the Disney store. I must admit that I am fortunate, because I live right on the border I frequently use a U.S. mailbox when online shopping but obviously with the border closed I was unable to this time. My daughter and I are big Disney fans and she is one of the unfortunate ones that is missing her graduation and her prom. When I saw the mickey grad ears, I thought they were perfect. I was mildly shocked that the shipping was more than the ears themselves but I sucked it up due to the bummer of a situation. Just received a notice that my ears are now being held hostage by UPS for brokerage fees for another $40 - what????? Total for ONE pair of mickey grad ears (including exchange) $116 - I must be off my rocker... never again

Yep. I haven't ordered from Disney in 15-20 years, and it was the brokerage fees that did it. That day I said "no more".

I just had the same thing. I ordered a dressshop dress and brokerage fee’s were $80! I usually use my Niagara Falls mailbox. Not going to do this again.

Yup, the fees are absurd. I won’t shop through their site again.

It’s too bad, because there’s a waffle iron that I’d really like to get my wife. But it’s 40$, so it would be around that same 120$ mark, which is absurd.

Of course, I did put an order through earlier in the pandemic full of stuff for my kid too. The things we do for them...

My daughter lives in Cairo. Last year I did an amazon.com (US$) to send her Christmas jammies for her, her hubby and baby girl. The jammies were about $80US and the brokerage/customs.....$60US :oops: I'm glad she got them (only about 2 weeks), since I can't get anything to her due to the mail service somewhere. Not even a card.:sad2:

I also am close enough to the border that I have a box on the US side that I normally ship things to then go pick them up at. We haven't been able to go since the end of February.

I have ordered a few things from the US to Canada since. But I've only done it in two scenarios: (1) where the company sets out and I am able to pay ALL of the fees (taxes, duty, brokerage, etc) up front (amazon.com did this for items sold by them directly; LLBean does this, as do some other companies), or (2) where the company definitely uses USPS to ship to Canada (in which case if it does incur duty/taxes at Canada Customs, Canada Post only charges a $5 brokerage fee). I will note that being able to pay the duties and taxes up front usually means a much lower brokerage portion of the fees since the "work" is already done and they are just passing it through the system vs the carrier having to navigate it through customs, even when ultimately it is the same carrier (eg UPS) being used.

I REALLY wish the Disney Store would get with the program and get their act together with shipping to Canada. Partner with Borderfree or someone and collect the taxes and duty up front and make it easy. Or better yet, ship from Canada, they have stores here !!

Even better will be when Canada actually implements the higher de minimum amount. $20 does not work in 2020.

SW

Yep, that is why I send all my DS orders to our mailbox in Blaine WA (which of course I can't access right now). The shipping and brokerage fees are just insane 🤦😱😓
I have a friend in Bellingham WA, and if I need to order something from a US shop that either doesn't ship here or it costs to much, I have it mailed to her place. Then I pick it up when I see her or she re packs it an mails it here (I then send her $ for shipping). Usually much cheaper than broker fees as they are often more expensive than the item I bought. I haven't done it in years and they are usually small gift items for DD.

Yep, that is why I send all my DS orders to our mailbox in Blaine WA (which of course I can't access right now). The shipping and brokerage fees are just insane 🤦😱😓
I have a friend in Bellingham WA, and if I need to order something from a US shop that either doesn't ship here are it cost to much, I have it mailed to her place and pick it up when I see her or she re packs it an mails it here ( I then send her $ for shipping) Usually much cheaper than broker fees as they are often more expensive than the item I bought. I haven't done it in years and they are usually small gift items for DD.

I have a friend in Bellingham WA, and if I need to order something from a US shop that either doesn't ship here are it cost to much, I have it mailed to her place and pick it up when I see her or she re packs it an mails it here ( I then send her $ for shipping) Usually much cheaper than broker fees as they are often more expensive than the item I bought. I haven't done it in years and they are usually small gift items for DD.
Same here. Since I've never ordered anything from the states, other than stuff from the Disney store, and we met thru the Disboards (almost 13 years ago now) I always include something in the order for HER! She opens it up, takes out her surprise, repacks it and sends it on it's way. Never had any trouble with doing this, she just fills out the customs form to say it's a gift and give the actual value of the products.

I worked for Canada customs during the summers when I was in University. Any item coming across the border is subject to added fees. They aren't always consistently applied though. Here's what MAY/CAN be added, in addition to what you paid in shipping:

*Brokerage fee, if the item has paperwork completed for the customs process by an outside broker.
*Items value converted to CAD, then the GST and PST that would have been collected if you had bought the item in Canada charged.
*Item's Origin (where it was made) may also make it subject to extra duties and then taxes on top of that. Duty rates vary depending on where and what the item is.

It's a total gamble every time. I hardly ever order things, knowing all this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter