Shocked and horrified - Disney Store Shipping!!!

I wish they would use USPS. UPS is brutal. I try to avoid buying anything from the US unless they use USPS, but there is no choice with Disney, so you either suck it up, or don't buy it.

Here was my recent purchase: $42 worth of stuff (USD). $30 shipping and handling (USD). $20 UPS charge (CAD) - duty was $1.57, tax was $7.85, and brokerage fee was $10 + tax. Converted to CAD, it was $120 in total for $42 USD worth of stuff.

Anyone living near the GTA can use CrossBorder Pickups instead of relying on Disney's shipping - just pay the taxes, duties, and a nominal fee and pickup at one of their GTA locations.

They'll also reship for a very modest fee - have had Dooneys shipped when I couldn't make it down and IIRC it was something like $10 extra.
Yes, this is a good option, especially if you buy enough to get free shipping from Disney. The only potential downside is that Disney doesn't always ship everything in one shipment (I believe some things come from different warehouses). CrossBorder Pickups will charge for each box they pick up.

So I bought some masks that will ship in July. I paid $40 for shipping. I knew I'd pay something at the border, but are you saying I should expect another $40 for duties/taxes/Canada Post fee? 😲
Yep! Keep an eye out for the little card that they will deliver to you, instead of bringing your package. :) Sadly this is just the cost of business with buying online from the USA and UPS delivering it.
I would get a friend to ship you things!

It's absurd that Disney is unwilling to figure out international shipping logistics at this point. Fanatics handles merchandise sales for all the professional sports leagues and they manage to ship to Canada and their charges include tax, brokerage, everything.

So I bought some masks that will ship in July. I paid $40 for shipping. I knew I'd pay something at the border, but are you saying I should expect another $40 for duties/taxes/Canada Post fee? 😲
Unfortunately yes. I don't think you will get it through Canada Post, I am sure it comes UPS ( my one and only order did) and yes, when they delivered it, they told me I owed another $40 for Brokerage fees. I nearly cried right there! I will never order from the site again, which breaks my heart because I LOVE everything!

Thank you all for reminding me of this!! I ordered ONCE many years ago and was dinged with, the cost of the item (USD), the shipping of $40!! and then the brokerage fees from UPS. I had completely forgotten about that last charge and was just thinking of placing an order for masks and for a new Vera bag, especially since we had to postpone our Dec.2020 trip! But NOPE not now! not worth the $$ that is for sure!

Just bought some stuff from shopdisney UK because I had to get the Ink & Paint key. £20 for shipping. It came by Canada Post so I thought I might get lucky and not have any added charges. Tracking was due to arrive the other day, but instead of being delivered to the door, the tracking stated that it was at the post office. Another $20 CAD later, I had my package. Wishful thinking on my part I guess. It was still worth it though as the key is awesome.

Just a heads up that with the new NAFTA (USMCA? USCMA?) kicking in today that the de mimimis has kicked in raising the duty-free amount to $150 and the tax-free amount to $40 on all parcels as long as they are NOT shipped via mail/Canada Post. Might make ordering things slightly less painful.

Also HAPPY CANADA DAY!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nafta-pandemic-covid-coronavirus-trade-1.5633548

Ok this is interesting. Is the $150 Canadian? And what amount do we get free shipping? I’m curious what we would have to pay (other then HST).

Ok this is interesting. Is the $150 Canadian? And what amount do we get free shipping? I’m curious what we would have to pay (other then HST).

Per the article

"With online shopping and shipping more popular than ever, goods shipped from by U.S. by courier services no longer face customs duties if they're valued under $150, and won't incur sales taxes if they're worth less than $40. If purchases are shipped by mail, however, the previous threshold of $20 will still apply. "

All values in CAD.

Free shipping depends on the retailer. IME, many US retailers don't have free shipping for Canadian orders.

Personally, I think the split levels are pretty ridiculous, as with a 40/150 split you will often still get nailed with the crazy brokerage fee from the courier even if you now just owe tax (PST/GST/HST). I really wish they had just gone with a flat CAD$200 deminimus like the US was pushing for.

So, the Disney masks I ordered in April and won't be here until August will still be hit with the extra $40 charge for duty, taxes and Canada Post's cut, then? No change?

We bought masks....never again---bought $80.00 worth of masks (US dollars) in a sad covid moment back in April......paid $40 US shipping and then the brokerage fees--and they shipped them in 2 separate shipments and I paid brokerage TWICE. The masks to ship cost over $100 US plus the original $80 (US)! They were in the smallest little light package, too. NEVER again! So sad about it too as the Disney stores aren't open here yet and we don't get the full merchandise ever. It feels like a scam almost.

We bought masks....never again---bought $80.00 worth of masks (US dollars) in a sad covid moment back in April......paid $40 US shipping and then the brokerage fees--and they shipped them in 2 separate shipments and I paid brokerage TWICE. The masks to ship cost over $100 US plus the original $80 (US)! They were in the smallest little light package, too. NEVER again! So sad about it too as the Disney stores aren't open here yet and we don't get the full merchandise ever. It feels like a scam almost.

The thing that bugs me is that the frequently don't ship everything in one package. You would think if you're just buying masks and nothing else, that it would all come together.

does Hot Topic do this as well? As they have a broker warning, but I know other from CA who order and seem to get by without the fees/seem to think it's okay? I'm asking because I'd like to order my disney merch there and am hoping to avoid the usual (ghastly!) broker fees from disney? (I also might post this as its own question. thank you!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter