SHOE nighmare stories ~ let's share!

Every trip I took to WDW in the past has always ended in blisters somewhere on my feet. I used to put bandaids on my sensitive spots, but still got blisters. Then I started putting sports tape on the back of my ankles, and around the toes that were prone to blistering. That sort of worked, but wasn't as comfortable. Last May I tried something different that worked like a charm. First I bought some Thorlo walking socks from The Sports Authority. Before I put my socks on I sprayed a light coating of anti-perspirant to the bottoms of my feet and between my toes, put on a pair of Thorlo socks, and my Reebok DMX Walking shoes. I did this every day I went to a park. The result was not one blister all week. My feet didn't even have any red sensitive areas. The only problem I noticed was that my feet got a little hot on the bottom after walking all day since they couldn't sweat due to the anti-perspirant. But, better hot feet than sore feet.

I had two pairs of the Reebok DMX Walking shoes. One a year old and the other just 3 months old. I wore the 3 month old shoes to the park (I had broken them in), and the one year old shoes on the days we didn't go to the park.

Bart

When Keds first came out - I was thinking fashion vs. utility and wore a pair of Keds all day with no socks in the parks - big mistake. I was covered in blisters.

This isn't about a nightmare; I'm posting in hopes of stopping the nightmare before it happens. My mother and I went shopping yesterday to get the last few things we needed for the trip. Moleskin was on the top of our list. Well, we found it at K-Mart and Wal-Mart. We got the stuff that said Moleskin Foam because we thought it would be more padding. Should we go back and get moleskin, elgerber?

VelvetGloves

VelvetGloves,

I personally would go back for the moleskin. My husband and I have both been using moleskin for years and once, when I couldn't find it, I bought molefoam. We ended up throwing it away after a couple of uses. It's so thick that it doesn't conform to your foot, and one half of it usually ends up coming unstuck. It's also so thick that it can make your shoes tight. The moleskin you end up forgetting is there. Good luck to you!

Erika

Moleskin is my best friend (repeat as needed!).

After a few trips of blisters from Hades saved by moleskin, I decided to bring my VERY broken in tennis shoes to wear, no matter how battered they looked. This are the sneakers you save to mow the lawn in, clean out stables in, etc. So I looked like a hobo but was walking fine UNTIL I started to feel a tender spot. Experience made me plop down immediately and investigate. Well, long story short; my shoes were TOO broken in and some worn areas along with too thin socks was rubbing painfully.

Lesson: one can go too far in the broken in area of shoes and good socks are worth their weight in gold. As much as we plan and pay for these trips, it is a shame to let something so "minor" to ruin the day! Luckily for me (the overpacker) I had back up shoes galore but had to purchase some Mickey socks with thick bottoms that along with my ever-present moleskin saved the day!

I took my relatively new Keds with on our last trip and was sorry after the first day. I didn't get blisters, but I knew I needed a solution, fast. I called my parents back home and had them FedEx my comfy, old Nikes next day. It cost $46 but was worth every penny!!

Yesterday was the BrickYard Nascar race in Indianapolis. For those of you who watched on tv, the weather looked very nice. Wrong! It was almost 90degrees yesterday, and probably 105 in the stands with no breeze. And what do I see? A lady (early 60's) wearing a sequined tank top and shorts (blue) with matching blue high heeled pumps! No socks or hose. To get to any parking lot is at least one mile on hot asphalt. I almost fainted just thinking about her blisters. Scary!:eek:

I once bought these special walking shoes, thought they would help my feet with all the blisters I got all the time.....did not know I had arthritis at the time in my feet which was part of the problem. Well, after first day there my feet were killing me even though they were broken in...blisters on my little toes, the ball of my foot and heel..Expensive does not mean better when it comes to shoes let me tell you...I found Reebok Classic Sneakers, have not had a blister wearing them ever...tired feet yes and sore muscles in my feet..but never a blister.

I like to soak in a hot tub when we get back to our room to loosen up the muscles in my feet as they get very tight..If i do that at night and in the mornng before I get dressed my feet seem to be better....

I broke in new Birkenstocks when we were there last December! I got them for Christmas (asked Santa for them) and we left for WDW the next day. I wore them all around the house Christmas Day to break them in, and even out in the 10 degree below zero temperatures on the way back from my parent's house. I got a sore on the top of my foot from one of the straps on the first day. It even bled! I pulled out the moleskin and realized we had no scissors!! I was desperate, so I put the whole big rectangle of moleskin on the top of my foot. I walked around like that all week... The moleskin got dirty and wet and looked disgusting! Later on in the week, I put on a pair of dress shoes for dinner and they were the most comfortable things (well broken in from work). I wore dress shoes around for the rest of the week.

Holly P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter