Shoes!

Equestrian

Earning My Ears
Hey guys! Starting to prep for a September trip to universal and am looking at what shoe options you recommend? I was there in March (for the first time in nearly 20 years!) and was definitely comfortable in running shoes.....until we rode the water rides. I did plan ahead and pack extra shoes, but I’d rather have something comfortable that I can walk around in, ride the water rides in, and keep walking around in as they dry. (And not get blistered, slip around, or have sore feet). Flip flops are great for quick trips shopping etc, but I cannot do any considerable amount of walking in them without the balls of my feet burning.

I have somewhat high arches and walk on the outside of my feet (supinate). So looking for a comfortable walking sandal that has more cushion than rigid structure, good arch support, dries quickly/isn’t slippery when wet, and won’t cause blisters. No more than $60 ideally, but would be willing to go up to $100 if it was the perfect solution. One foot is slightly wider due to an injury that didn’t heal properly, so very narrow shoes are out. Also, available on amazon prime is a bonus so I can return easy if they don’t fit or work out!

I’ve also considered just wearing flip flops for the water rides but I’d rather not carry either pair of shoes around the park if I can help it!

What do you wear when you plan on getting wet at the parks?

WHen you find a shoe that checks all those boxes, please let me know! Seriously- I have been searching for the perfect shoe since May. I've had a couple of Merrels that have come close. Good Luck!

Try some Vionic Flip Flops. They are designed to be supportive and I love mine. I can stand for hours in them (whereas my Teva flip flops kill me after 3 hours due to lack of arch support) https://www.zappos.com/p/vionic-bella-ii-red-1/product/8261069/color/231804 They have a bunch of other styles.

Something like a Sketcher with mesh fabric could work too. https://www.zappos.com/p/skechers-performance-go-walk-lite-dreamer-taupe/product/9043525/color/11

I'm a fan of Nordstrom for shoes- free shipping and returns plus they stand behind you loving the shoe (aka you can wear and return if awful- obviously be a good human and don't abuse that :)).

Take multiple pairs of shoes on vacation of different styles. I mistakenly only took flip flops one year- and one was a new pair, at that. Blister in one spot that both of my shoes rubbed. Misery.

I’ll have to checkout those Vionic flip flops! Sketchers have always been uncomfortable for me. Usually wear ASICS or under armor brand shoes, too bad they don’t have decent water shoes!

Also good to know about Nordstrom!

Hey guys! Starting to prep for a September trip to universal and am looking at what shoe options you recommend? I was there in March (for the first time in nearly 20 years!) and was definitely comfortable in running shoes.....until we rode the water rides. I did plan ahead and pack extra shoes, but I’d rather have something comfortable that I can walk around in, ride the water rides in, and keep walking around in as they dry. (And not get blistered, slip around, or have sore feet). Flip flops are great for quick trips shopping etc, but I cannot do any considerable amount of walking in them without the balls of my feet burning.

I have somewhat high arches and walk on the outside of my feet (supinate). So looking for a comfortable walking sandal that has more cushion than rigid structure, good arch support, dries quickly/isn’t slippery when wet, and won’t cause blisters. No more than $60 ideally, but would be willing to go up to $100 if it was the perfect solution. One foot is slightly wider due to an injury that didn’t heal properly, so very narrow shoes are out. Also, available on amazon prime is a bonus so I can return easy if they don’t fit or work out!

I’ve also considered just wearing flip flops for the water rides but I’d rather not carry either pair of shoes around the park if I can help it!

What do you wear when you plan on getting wet at the parks?
I'd like to make a strong recommendation for Keens sandals. I think mine are "Clearwater" style. They do come in at about $100, though. I have had mine for a couple trips now and, for me, they have been COMPLETELY unmatched by any other shoes. They are supportive like a sneaker but open, cool, and instant-drying like sandals (effectively, they don't even get wet). In the past, I feel like I've had to always make the choice between supportive comfort of sneakers and cool and quick drying sandals (or Crocs) with less support. Keens have truly done it all for me and I couldn't be happier.

My MO with them is usually to wear them with small ankle socks much of the time and just take the socks off when I know I might get wet.

I have raved about them so much that my (adult) daughter is buying some for use on our next trip.

I have done the parks in Chaco sandles and also in Vibram five finger shoes. On Saturday I used my Vibrams and they work great for the water rides plus any unexpected Florida showers. The Chacos are great too and they give a lot more cushioning for feet that are not used to a ton of walking each day. My daily baseline is about 7 miles when not in a theme park and I break in the shoes way before I plan on wearing them at the park. Saturday I ended up going 15 miles between park hoping and City Walk. I hope this helps.

I’ve worn several different types of sandals before to the parks, but my favorite are these flip flops from Skechers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072T5DWH8?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

A3774B7C-6C83-4942-8BAD-0FAA784208A2.jpeg

They have more support than typical flip flops and we’re comfortable from day one. They feel soft, not stiff at all and I didn’t have any blisters or sore feet wearing them all day to Disney and Universal. We were caught in rain several days, but they dried quickly and still look great.

I will swear by Keens - I have the "Whisper" in 3 colors and that is all I bring with me. You can wear them all day and still your feet are comfy - get them wet- no problem - they are perfect! Loads of colors and styles to choose from - not cheap - but your feet are worth it! In a theme park - If your feet are not happy - nobody is happy!

Chaco’s- got mine at DSW in Ocala on our drive down this summer. Alternate days with my Nike runners. Chacos are completely adjustable so should work for your differing feet.

Try some Vionic Flip Flops. They are designed to be supportive and I love mine. I can stand for hours in them (whereas my Teva flip flops kill me after 3 hours due to lack of arch support) https://www.zappos.com/p/vionic-bella-ii-red-1/product/8261069/color/231804 They have a bunch of other styles.

Vionics have great arch support. It took me a bit to get used to them but I can wear them doing errands all day with no issues.

The shoe I wear almost all day, every day during the summer is an Oofos flip flop. They are extremely comfortable and great if you have foot pain. My feet do tend to get a bit sweaty in them, but I'll take it for no/little pain. They are a must for theme parks for me.

https://www.oofos.com/collections/womens-oolala-sandal

You can find them cheaper sometimes on Amazon or Ebay.

I alternate between Teva Mush Flip flops (about $25 at amazon) and Nike sneakers. I'm not an exercise kind of person, but I can manage 12-13 miles a day at WDW using that combo of footwear.

I have two pairs of Teva sandals I wear. The Tiras are more hardcore. Very good arch support, very comfortable on my heels (which sometimes give me problems) and multiple adjustment points so each foot gets a perfect fit. They look very sport sandal though.

https://www.amazon.com/Teva-Womens-...dals+women&dpPl=1&dpID=41qne5ImqjL&ref=plSrch

I also have a pair of Verras which are a little prettier with not quite the bulk but also not quite as comfortable (but usually do the trick other than very long days).

https://www.amazon.com/Teva-Womens-..._SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=teva+sandals+women

Both styles can get wet without issues, dry quickly and aren't slippery.

I'm considering the Keens, but I've had Keen hiking shoes, and they are just too wide and not a great fit for me. To be honest, I'm probably going to wear sneakers and bring a cheap pair of flip flops in my poncho bag for the water rides. We tend to do afternoon breaks, so the sneakers will stay on in the morning, to flip flops around the pool back at the resort and then sneakers again in the evening.

I'm considering the Keens, but I've had Keen hiking shoes, and they are just too wide and not a great fit for me. To be honest, I'm probably going to wear sneakers and bring a cheap pair of flip flops in my poncho bag for the water rides. We tend to do afternoon breaks, so the sneakers will stay on in the morning, to flip flops around the pool back at the resort and then sneakers again in the evening.
That works....I've done the same approach with crocs instead of flip-flops in the past. Usually worked fine.
I honestly think switching up your shoes, even for just a few hours here and there, goes a long way to happier feet.

I prefer something that straps my foot in pretty well, so I tend to go with Tevas or Keens sandals. I like that the straps can be adjusted every which-a-way so that you get a good, sturdy fit. Both have decent arch support. Neither rub, but I do rub down with a friction bar when I put them on.

Be careful with the yoga mat style cushioning. They will not be dry the next morning if you are caught in the afternoon thunderstorms. Squish, squish, squish

I'm another Keens lover! I purchased my first pair for a WDW trip based on recommendations here.

I now have 3 pairs and am eyeing the new tie-dye color. The rest of my family has Keens as well. Great arch support, closed-in toes, comfortable, sturdy, no-slip. Best shoe for theme parks, water parks, beaches, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter