Shop the Block 2019 -Bonus miles are POSTING NOW!

Happy Shop the Block Eve everyone! The anticipation builds.

Re the BMO offer. I think I will be doing just the $350 threshold this time. I can't see myself spending $700 at Partners during the timeframe. For the extra 50 AM it's not worth the outlay of cash. I wouldn't purchase GC if the reward was 50AM so purchasing "extra" GC to get up to $700 won't work for me. I'll get the partner credit for spending $350 and that is good enough.
I'm gonna be exhausted by the end of this week ... today was my Fast Pass day so I've been up since 3 (yeah, don't even try to understand that hour, sleep is elusive at the best of times!), I'll be staying up till after midnight to get a look at the online coupons and then spend most of tomorrow updating this thread and Friday? Yeah, that's my Toronto day AKA butt-crack-of-stupid o'clock alarm (4:20 in the winter to allow extra time for walking in the snow!)

I'll only be doing the lower threshold for BMO as well because the new earn rate for our AMEX started last week. That means 1 mile/$5 at certain types of merchants (not partner stores anymore, no Rexall booo) and everything else is 1/$10. I'll just use the Mastercard until that threshold is reached and then back into the purse it goes. At least we have 6 weeks to complete this so I can pick and choose when to use it .. not happening at Metro or Sobeys since "food" merchants fall under the higher earn rate. I'll just use it at Rexall until i reach that $

@ottawamom I think I'm in the same boat as you. I just bought $400 in Sobeys gift cards last week that I need to use up. I will probably do this one at the last minute and just buy Sobeys gift cards again.

I'm gonna be exhausted by the end of this week ... today was my Fast Pass day so I've been up since 3 (yeah, don't even try to understand that hour, sleep is elusive at the best of times!), I'll be staying up till after midnight to get a look at the online coupons and then spend most of tomorrow updating this thread and Friday? Yeah, that's my Toronto day AKA butt-crack-of-stupid o'clock alarm (4:20 in the winter to allow extra time for walking in the snow!)

I'll only be doing the lower threshold for BMO as well because the new earn rate for our AMEX started last week. That means 1 mile/$5 at certain types of merchants (not partner stores anymore, no Rexall booo) and everything else is 1/$10. I'll just use the Mastercard until that threshold is reached and then back into the purse it goes. At least we have 6 weeks to complete this so I can pick and choose when to use it .. not happening at Metro or Sobeys since "food" merchants fall under the higher earn rate. I'll just use it at Rexall until i reach that $

Yes, dish! Did you get your FPs and what rides/attractions are they for?

Do you know which merchants are giving the 1 mile/$5? I kept trying different links in the e-mail AMEX sent me and their website but I could not find a list.

unrelated to STB but did you get all the fast passes you wanted?
Yes, dish! Did you get your FPs and what rides/attractions are they for?

Do you know which merchants are giving the 1 mile/$5? I kept trying different links in the e-mail AMEX sent me and their website but I could not find a list.
Since we're there for almost 3 full weeks the only problem I have is that I can't see all my days yet :P I got everything i wanted though because our first ticket day is actually at 63 days and the "big ticket" rides aren't till day 67+ As to what rides & attractions? It's more like which ones DIDN'T I get? Just the ones that we never ride/watch like Mine Train (too jerky for hubby) Everest (again, hubby HATES thrill rides), Rockin Roller Coaster (get the picture, we aren't big ride people)

As to the merchants giving 1/$5 it's categories, not particular stores. I'm happy that my Greyhound & Presto fares will fall under this umbrella. Rexall will stay at the 1/$10 so that's ok.
From the website:

Earn 1 Mile for every $5 in Card purchases, up to $30,000 annually, on eligible food & drinks, (such as eligible restaurants, coffee shops and stand-alone grocery stores), and eligible gas & transit (such as local commuter transportation including ridesharing services and taxis) in Canada

And for a more detailed explanation i took this screenshot

Ahh that's much clearer. Thank you. Darn. I was hoping retail stores were included. Hmm... I'll have to remember when I'm not using Sobey or Shell gift cards to pay for groceries/gas to use the AMEX card then pay AMEX as soon as I get home.

Ahh that's much clearer. Thank you. Darn. I was hoping retail stores were included. Hmm... I'll have to remember when I'm not using Sobey or Shell gift cards to pay for groceries/gas to use the AMEX card then pay AMEX as soon as I get home.
Don't forget that everything else will be at the 1/$10 return which is still pretty darned good IMHO

Is the better Amex rate for a particular Amex card??
The card that has the earn rate that I posted the screen shot for is the Platinum Airmiles AMEX - it just changed on Nov 4th to 1/$5 for food & transportation and 1/$10 for everything else
The basic AMEX card has this rate
And the Reserve AMEX card has this rate

I opted in on our BMO cc. I don't think we will hit the 700.00...as we only use that card for gas at Shell...and I rarely shop at Safeway which is only on Blue Friday if it has items we use. But We will be able to hit the 350.00 mark with fuel. He head to the city tomorrow for ds's surgery,..so that will bump up our fuel bill for the next little while. I'll just have to get the hubby to chauffeur me around so that we can fill up the tank more often :tilt: There is a method to my madness. I'll keep the receipts incase ( like past history indicates ) that this promo doesn't work good the first couple of days. I usually wait for them to work the kinks out before I start this one.

Who's staying up past midnight for the big reveal? I'll get up and have a look if I wake up in the middle of the night. But in my sleep deprived state, if I'm lucky enough to finally sleep through the night I'll wait until morning.

A few last minute hints & tips for everyone as we wait for the site to go live:
  • The link will update at 00:00:01 EST
  • The offers will NOT be fully populated until closer to noon
  • There is no rush to get started, let others discover the kinks and wait till they're fixed
  • If you're planning on doing the "freebie" offers for a card, wait a few days - they rarely work immediately
Good luck in the hunt everyone!

I’m working on my and my wife’s lists for the promo and I’m pretty doubtful we’ll both make 7
offers.

Miss Fresh is one of those offers I always consider and decide to save for the next promo, so I clicked through the menu and see if it could work this time around. I think it’s really great to see such variety in cuisines, lots of vegetarian options, etc. But...8$ a serving for spaghetti with lentil bolognese!? It shouldn’t cost 8$ to make spaghetti with lentil bolognese for 6! Needless to say, I can’t see value in that coupon.

K maybe I’m tired but I have a question.
this is my first year trying to do two cards mine and my sons.
if I shop with his AM cards but my MasterCard will he still get the airmiles? Bonuses ?
and will I get the MasterCard bmo bonuses ? If I pay with my MasterCard but present his am card?

K maybe I’m tired but I have a question.
this is my first year trying to do two cards mine and my sons.
if I shop with his AM cards but my MasterCard will he still get the airmiles? Bonuses ?
and will I get the MasterCard bmo bonuses ? If I pay with my MasterCard but present his am card?

Yup. You'll get the mastercard credits and he'll get the airmiles credits.

I'll be able to do 7 no problem. BMO, Shell, Sobeys, Metro, Rexall, Global, Airmilesshops and LCBO if I change my mind.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter