Short Reviews/Thoughts from August Trip

lady_hlh

DIS Veteran
We were there on the free dining offer with 2 teens and 2 adults at the Contemporary, we were excited because we got upgraded from the garden wing to a tower room with a bay lake view. So here is where we ate and my thoughts.

Table Service

1. Coral Reef (lunch) - We have had many good experiences here but this time my shrimp with cheese grits was flavorless and cold. The dinner rolls were like bad grocery store ones and my teen said her non-alcoholic pina colada was so gross she couldn't drink it. The only memorable thing was a really yummy spicy watermelon margarita which I also found on other bar menus at WDW. I think we will be giving this place a rest for awhile, I love the aquarium but the food has really gone downhill.

2. Trails End (dinner) - My vegan teen and her BFF had dinner there by themselves so she could get Chef TJs vegan feast (nachos, pot stickers, smoked corn, watermelon stack, tofu/veggie dish and a huge desert stack in a jar) . My daughter was in awe and loved this meal.

3. Artist Point (dinner) - Most disappointing signature restaurant experience ever, will never go back. The mussels appetizer with tomato sauce and olives was tiny plus nothing special. My husband ordered the bison medium rare and it was mooing. I order the house signature salmon, it was so bland/dry that I didn't finish it. If these 2 entrees are their signature dishes, they need a new head chef ASAP.

4. California Grill - Our server was not up to par for a signature restaurant, just not personable or very interested in our table. On the other hand the food was amazing this time after the last few times being underwhelming. The pork rib chop with the goat cheese polenta was amazing. The cheese board for dessert was very good. My vegan had the 4 course vegetarian/vegan tasting plate and she loved it.

5. Sci-fi - Our server was really great, I think his name was Dale and he gave us the best service of any TS. When my vegan teen asked about a tofu option which isn't on the menu he knew exactly what the chef could make. I have never really loved the food here previously but this time I decided maybe I should be ordering the burgers because they are the house specialty. I got the southern burger with the fried green tomato plus pimento cheese and it was delicious. For dessert I had the turtle cheesecake which was also really good.

6. Tusker House (dinner) - This was as good as it has always been and has a lot to offer for a vegan. This and Cape May's breakfast buffet are our top 2 character meals still.

7. Kona Cafe (breakfast) - Had to go so my vegan teen could get vegan Tonga toast. I ordered their new eggs benedict dish and this was the first time I ever got something there that I thought was not good. I guess I should have stuck to the pancakes or Tonga toast.

Counter Service

1. Columbia Harbor House - I always got the hummus sandwich which they got rid of but decided to eat there with my hubby because he is supposed to eat a low-fat diet and they have the grilled salmon. I had the chicken, broccoli and peppercorn salad and it was gross. The chicken was dried out and chewy.

2. Pinocchio Village Haus - My vegan teen had a vegan caprese pizza here which she said was really good.

3. Pecos Bill - I had the beef nachos and piled them up with topping bar offerings so this was much better than Columbia Harbor House. They made my daughter a vegan veggie burrito which she said was good but it took forever for the food to come out because they had to cook it in the allergy area or something like that.

4. Harambe Market - I had the grilled vegetable stack which was really good and a nice healthier option. My hubby had some gyro sandwich which looked nasty to me but he rarely comments/complains about his food.

5. Sauli Canteen - My vegan teen had the build your own bowl with tofu which she said was great. Her less adventurous BFF didn't care for this CS at all but my daughter said 1/2 the time she would order kids CS instead of adult.

6. Polite Pig - I got the brisket plate with watermelon/feta salad plus coleslaw. This was delicious, I never get brisket but I'm glad I chose it. My hubby got the ribs which was a very large portion, he loved them but he couldn't finish them. This is a great new CS addition to Disney Springs.

7. Blaze - My vegan teen had to go there even though we have them at home because she never misses a chance to get vegan pizza.

8. Wolfgang Pucks Express - As good as usual, this place never disappoints us. I had the cobb salad, my vegan teen was able to get the hummus/veggie wrap without feta and her bff got cheese ravioli.

Snacks

Lots of dole whip floats at MK, dole whip at AK (for me with the coconut rum), jalapeno cheese pretzels from the lunching pad (thank god they brought these back), cinnamon rolls and cheese danishes from our resort CS to use our extra snack credits for breakfast. Lots of donuts and breakfast pastries from Erin McKennas for my daughter, she didn't make the mistake of getting any cupcakes this year because they are nasty. The vegan red velvet cupcake from Sprinkles though was very good according to my teen.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your highs and lows on your dining adventure. Also way to go on that room upgrade, I would have been elated :)

Thank you for sharing your highs and lows on your dining adventure. Also way to go on that room upgrade, I would have been elated :)

I know I was so excited about that room upgrade. We always stay in the garden wing at CR because I never felt that I could justify the much higher cost of a tower room, if I was going to spend that much on a room I would finally try the Poly instead.

Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed reading the vegan options.

Thanks, WDW is actually pretty good when you have a vegan in your party. If you are a vegan or vegetarian, there is a really great FB group where I researched things for my daughter called Veg Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!