Short trip to Toronto this weekend - few questions

erin1715

DIS Veteran
Hi all, we are from upstate NY and will be driving up to Toronto for one night this weekend to see a show at the Attwell Centre. We are spending the night at the Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel.

We don't really have anything planned aside from the show which starts at 6pm. We will likely arrive around noon and kind of just planned to wander around near our hotel. Is that a good plan or will we be totally bored, and should plan to maybe stop at the Falls on our way to kill some time? We figure we would grab a bite to eat for sure but don't have any other ideas and I"m not sure how easy it is to drive around the Toronto area?

I'm open to other ideas or confirmation that our plan to wander is a good one.

There isn't anything that's really worth seeing in the area of your hotel -- at all! When exactly are you getting here and when are you planning on leaving? The "Toronto area" is huge and no driving isn't (in my opinion) that easy. If you have time (i would say a decent chunk of time) I would suggest taking the UP Express from the airport to the downtown core. You can then see some of the things that Toronto proper has to offer -- CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, wander thru some of the unique shopping areas. I'm sure others can suggest specifics in the city.

The UP Express has what they call a "Long Layover Fare" which is good for 7 hours from the start of your trip and costs $25.70 for a family (2 adults & 3 children) OR $24.70 if there are only 2 adults. You can buy this online and then either print off the ticket or show it on your phone.
UP Express
You can either take the shuttle from your hotel to the Airport (for free), no need to let them know you're not really flying anywhere -- ask for terminal 1 and then follow the signs for "Train to City" When you get back, just take the shuttle back to your car. OR there are several options for parking at Pearson, if I'm looking at the correct Sheraton your parking is 24 hour/$20-ish
Parking at Pearson Airport

Last edited:
There isn't anything that's really worth seeing in the area of your hotel -- at all! When exactly are you getting here and when are you planning on leaving? The "Toronto area" is huge and no driving isn't (in my opinion) that easy. If you have time (i would say a decent chunk of time) I would suggest taking the UP Express from the airport to the downtown core. You can then see some of the things that Toronto proper has to offer -- CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, wander thru some of the unique shopping areas. I'm sure others can suggest specifics in the city.

The UP Express has what they call a "Long Layover Fare" which is good for 7 hours from the start of your trip and costs $25.70 for a family (2 adults & 3 children) OR $24.70 if there are only 2 adults. You can buy this online and then either print off the ticket or show it on your phone.
UP Express
You can either take the shuttle from your hotel to the Airport (for free), no need to let them know you're not really flying anywhere -- ask for terminal 1 and then follow the signs for "Train to City" When you get back, just take the shuttle back to your car. OR there are several options for parking at Pearson, if I'm looking at the correct Sheraton you're parking is 24 hour/$20-ish
Parking at Pearson Airport

I appreciate the detailed response. We will be arriving around noon on Saturday and our show starts at 6pm which is in walking distance from our hotel. And we will spend one night and go back home on Sunday. I'm thinking we won't have a lot of time to travel to downtown Toronto so we may stop on our drive there and see some of the Falls, and then maybe arrive at our hotel a little closer to the show.

Hi
When I google map it from Niagara Falls to your Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel,
I get the traveling time of 1 1/2 hours but I would allow for two hours to be on the safe side.
If you feel you would have enough time a brief stop and a snack in Niagara Falls it is doable.

If it were me I'd just do the show in Toronto and then travel to Niagara Falls //book the Sheraton Hotel in Niagara for the night. Stay overnight and then explore Niagara in the morning. But I happen to love Niagara Falls in the Fall time.
Just an idea.
https://www.sheratononthefalls.com/...gn=google-adwords-Sheraton-Niagara&refid=1135

Hugs Mel

Hi! Your hotel is really in a zero-to-do zone. If you want to do Niagara, I would also recommend doing it on your way back, as you don't want to get caught in traffic as there is always something backing up the QEW. The only thing is, your hotel is also right in near the airport and sadly this area really has nothing going on other than some good restaurants. If you get to the Falls early and leave there by 3pm you should make it to check in change, get a quick bite and take the short drive to the theatre for 8. Whatever you do, I hope you have a great time and enjoy your stay here!

There are a couple of things that you can do that are not too far. Woodbine racetrack has slots and maybe a race depending on the day. The BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir temple is close. This is one of only 7 in the world. Free to enter and explore the detail. Great to see. google it. And close to where you are. It is really under an hour to look around so something casual if you want. Then grab a nice meal before you show.

Thanks all. I think we are just going to wing it and see what happens. I like the thought of driving back to the Falls after the concert and spending the night there to explore the Falls in the morning, but our concert could be 3 hours long and it starts at 7pm, which means we'd get out around 10 and then a two hour drive to the Falls does not sound pleasant because we'll be tired at that point. We may just stop at the Falls on our way home on Sunday and take a look around and a few pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter