Should I Buy a Guidebook?

putri

Earning My Ears
There's the Unofficial one from that touring website and the passporter. I read that the Unofficial guide has a lot of great info and while the passporter is not so detailed, it has the area where you can keep track of your notes, etc.

This is our first trip and while I've been reading a lot of info online, I LOVE doing travel research, quite good at it and we travel quite a bit internationally (even with just myself and our two young girls), but I find Disney a bit overwhelming due to the crowd and the possibility of having a very tired little one.

The unofficial guide to disney really made our second trip better then our first in some ways. we also tried to use the touring plans. we couldnt stay on time with them (we had two toddlers), but did use them as a list. the info that you learn from the books really does help you avoid the lines. I dont know how the magic bands will effect the info so I would buy the newest book.

I'd at least check out a few books from the library before you buy just to see which format you like best. I'm a fan of the UG--I think it makes for entertaining and informative reading. :goodvibes

Depending on when your trip is, you may want to wait until the 2015 versions come out (I think UG comes out in Aug but I'm not sure). I have the 2014 version out from our local library and they don't have current magic band and fastpass+ info since both of those have changed so much since the books went to print. I took books from the library with me on my last trip a few years ago so I could look things up when my daughter went to sleep- just reviewed info for the next day or looked up something I had a question on. Most of the info can probably be found online too though. Have a great trip!

Thank you! I forgot about the library!! I'll check that out tomorrow! I'll still get a book whether the library has them or not. So that the girls can mark on them. It's mostly their trip. I'm just the chaperone :D

I always say to get a guide book if this is your first time or have not been in a while. I love internet research and forums like this but often you'll find yourself lost in a sea of opinion and name calling. Eventually you forgot what you were originally searching for.

You said you have 2 young kids? The Birnbaum's guides have a separate kids version. It's written for them and has games and such for them to do.

As for adult versions, the Birnbaum guides are "official" but only cover WDW (not other Orlando attractions) and tends to be positive about everything.

The others are a lot more opinion based and can be harsh at times.

IMO, id go official and then mark off your items to research later onljne to make your own opinion.

But I'm biased as I use to design the official guide :)

I'm a Disney guide book freak. :-) After a trip, I will make notes about what we did right in the book. I have a shelf full of them on my bookshelf!

For the best advice out there in my humble opinion, you can't beat the Unofficial Guide. I own the 2014 versions of their Walt Disney World AND Disneyland guides and they are both fantastic. The one thing this book does not have is photographs.

For an index of everything WDW or DL has to offer, there's the Birnbaum Official Guide. There is a description of every single shop, attraction, restaurant, resort and entertainment option. Lots of great photos. The only problem is, their advice is very much about towing the company line. (EVERYTHING is awesome! EVERYTHING is perfect!)

I'm looking for a good book too--like secret information that could make our trip extra magical. I have the unofficial and passporters.

thanks

I'm hoping there will be more info about special events (and that guides will follow, of course) on Monday. I'm guessing then because that's when 2015 tickets become available for purchase to military members.

I'm hoping the new UG will address maximizing your opportunities with the bands in mind.

I'm looking for a good book too--like secret information that could make our trip extra magical. I have the unofficial and passporters.

thanks

Using the search feature of the board has a treasure trove of information! Listening to the podcast has some 'oh thats neat!' tips every so often too

I would say no to that. All the info you need is here but if you want to indulge then perhaps a local library may have a guide.

I found that the "Complete Walt Disney World" guidebook has lots of pictures. I can't compare it to Birnbaum or Unofficial guides though - I haven't bought them yet!

Honestly, and call me crazy, but the next time we go to Disney, we're winging it. I did the whole planning and bought the Unofficial Guide back in 2007, and it just seemed like a lot of added stress. We went US/IOA the last 2 times without a plan and we enjoyed ourselves much more. I guess if your afraid of missing something you can do the guides, but I honestly think you can get all the info you need from right here on this site.

old board but have to respond. We've been several times and always with the UG. I can't imagine doing WDW without it. I estimate we've found things we wouldn't have, done more things because of the UG, about 50% more rides and shows. Made fewer mistakes. and saved $$. With UG and touringplans.com there is so much more information than can be had just about anywhere else.

In 2003 while planning our first trip, we read several "guidebooks" including WDW's official book and most of them had very little information or help to offer. Then we picked up the UG and had our minds BLOWN! So much help that made our trip so much better than we thought it would be that we've never looked back. It's worth every penny and hour of reading. Like finding Boma for Breakfast, or arriving early for the opening, or fastpass, or how to tour the park vs wandering around. We were first timers and felt like we had the place wired. Like we were already veterans. It's Amazing.

Use it. Don't use it. But at least read it before you decide.

We usually go to the library and check out the Unofficial guide, this way we don't have to spend money on something that changes from year to year!

There's the Unofficial one from that touring website and the passporter. I read that the Unofficial guide has a lot of great info and while the passporter is not so detailed, it has the area where you can keep track of your notes, etc.

This is our first trip and while I've been reading a lot of info online, I LOVE doing travel research, quite good at it and we travel quite a bit internationally (even with just myself and our two young girls), but I find Disney a bit overwhelming due to the crowd and the possibility of having a very tired little one.
I like to recommend Birnbaums to people to get the lay of the land and a sense of what you want to do. Then, when you're ready to get to the nitty-gritty, I suggest Unofficial Guide. I fear UG would overwhelm a first-timer who has no idea where to start. Plus Birnbaums has lots of color to it.

Absolutely get one! More than half of the fun for us is planning the trip in the first place. Reading the various guidebooks heightens the anticipation! We're partial to the Unofficial guide (and these boards!).

Only realized after I posted my reply last night that this thread is like 3 years old. Oops.

I still stand by my advice, even if OP is no longer in need of it ;) LOL

Only realized after I posted my reply last night that this thread is like 3 years old. Oops.

I still stand by my advice, even if OP is no longer in need of it ;) LOL
Helpful advice never expires! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter