Should I Buy a Guidebook?

Another recommendation for the Unofficial Guide - I have been using it since the 90s! It is seriously the best one out there, but you need a thick skin - they're style isn't all pixie dust. The UG is encyclopedic in its detail, but has a critical consumer edge. It also has the touring plans. You can buy a subscription to the touring plans website as well, which gives you access to the amazing Lines smartphone app. We used Lines along with info from the UG on our 2016 trip and NEVER waited in a line longer than 15 minutes.

Yup, another one for the Unofficial Guide.
All the information you need and then some...

I also have a bunch of Birnbaum guides, they are less on the information and they seem a bit to much pro-disney, not giving you an honnest view on the lot. But, they do have fun best-lists (best Pizza, best character meal, etc.) It's more of a fun guide to get you hyped up!

Read Passporters as well, thought it wasn't as informational as the UG and not nearly as much fun as Birnbaum, but they do have the cool binder, with the per-day-planning pages. It's a fun keepsake.

If you want one, go for the UG!

There is a new book that covers all the Disney Parks in the World - Florida, California, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Shanghai - it is really good and detailed going over each park with all the attractions and dining options. Fun read, even if you are not traveling out of the country :) It is called World Traveler's Guide to Disney and came out last month. I love Disney books - all of them, they are such fun to read!!

https://www.amazon.com/World-Travel...LL0_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1492623497&sr=1-1

I rented a guidebook from my library. I wouldn't buy one. It'll be outdated in less than a year.

I think it's funny that people advise going to a library to check one out for a few reasons:
  1. It will take you a long time to read through a guide book that's probably going to be over 500 pages long (the Unofficial Guide, for example) and you'll likely want to revisit it as your trip gets closer and closer. Not worth it to me to have to keep renewing the book or trying to check it out over and over.
  2. No public library I have ever been to ever has current versions of books like that.
  3. You're willing to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation, but can't afford the $20 it costs for a guide book.
For me, the Unofficial Guide was great because it told the truth about some attractions not being worth the time and when you purchase it, you get a discount to a year's subscription to touringplans.com, which I have really enjoyed using to plan my vacation. It's just fun to read too. It got me so hyped up for the trip, there were several points I nearly cried. "I laughed, I cried!"

I think it's funny that people advise going to a library to check one out for a few reasons:
  1. It will take you a long time to read through a guide book that's probably going to be over 500 pages long (the Unofficial Guide, for example) and you'll likely want to revisit it as your trip gets closer and closer. Not worth it to me to have to keep renewing the book or trying to check it out over and over.
  2. No public library I have ever been to ever has current versions of books like that.
  3. You're willing to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation, but can't afford the $20 it costs for a guide book.
For me, the Unofficial Guide was great because it told the truth about some attractions not being worth the time and when you purchase it, you get a discount to a year's subscription to touringplans.com, which I have really enjoyed using to plan my vacation. It's just fun to read too. It got me so hyped up for the trip, there were several points I nearly cried. "I laughed, I cried!"

You might want to look into a new library. Mine always has multiple copies of the current edition.

Last edited:
You might want to look into a new library. Mine always has multiple copies of the current edition.
That must be nice. My local libraries barely have all the books in the Harry Potter series on their shelves, let alone current guidebooks. Most libraries I've been to operate on the donation of books, so you'll only find old editions of stuff like that.

I'm subscribed to touring plans and I want to buy the UG but my trip is in late January. I'm wondering if I should just buy the 2017 now or wait to see if they release the 2018 before my trip. I don't think too much would have changed between now and then but I want to be sure.

ETA: This will be the second time going for all three of us but it will be the first time going all three together. It's me (34), my wife (will be 26 by time we go), and our daughter who will turn 11 during our trip .

You know, it's not a "guidebook" int the truest sense, but Bart Scott is the author of the HILARIOUS "Ears Of Steel"---such a great written, funny book I recommend to anyone. It will wet your whistle and make you want you to be at Walt Disney World NOW. I've reread this thing a few times, and it's always a pleasure. Also: "Mousejunkies" is amazing, full of good stories and such. I love Disney guide books, I have the Birnbaums and Unofficial Guide too.

I agree about the Unofficial Guide. Super helpful, but may be a little overwhelming for some. I am fortunate to be able to get it from my local library, but went ahead and bought the newest addition last year.

Unofficial Guide is great! Just be aware that much of the same information (word for word) as the touring plans website. I did buy the book and pay the membership for the websites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter