Should I go to Disney by myself?

Kermit_da_Frog

Earning My Ears
Heya all,

I was supposed to go to Disney next week from October 23-28 with a friend. Unfortunately she dropped out on me and now I am left to decide whether or not I should go solo.

One of things that is discouraging is that we were gonna split an 8 hour drive, and now I would be driving that solo.

Some of the highlights I was looking forward to were MNSSHP and Epcot's Food and Wine Festival. Plus I love eating at the Canadian Steakhouse in Epcot. Would I enjoy these by myself?

I am a bit apprehensive, but I bet with a little motivation from you guys and girls, I might just get up the nerve to do it.

Convince me, please!

Kermit

Hi Kermit.....

Let me begin by saying Hi and welcome to the DIS boards. Whatever questions you may have, this is the place to find the answers. There are just so many friendly knowledgable people here and they are all ready to help.

Of course you should still go.........we are talking Disney here......
You will have a great time. As for the drive, you will need to take a few additional breaks. Just don't push yourself, because then you will arrive completely exhausted.

I can only speak for myself, but solo trips are the best....you can do want you want, when you want, and if you liked it....well you can do it again without getting anyone else mad at you. If you feel like sitting and having a ice cream, well feel free.

I too will be there next week Oct 24 to Nov 1 for my 4th solo trip. Looking forward to seeing everyone dressed up, and also the food and wine displays.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. I have traveled to the world by plane, train and automobile. I guess it comes down to whatever get's me there.

And to answer your question...."YES", you will enjoy yourself being there doing things by yourself.

On all most all of our trips to Disney World, I have spent lots of "solo" time in the parks. (DH thinks WDW is a golf resort! ) I enjoy it because I can go on the rides I want, when I want, I can eat what I want, when I want, and I can spend as much time shopping as I want. In addition, I often meet someone in line to talk to or sit with on a ride. You would be surprised at the number of times that I have ended up talking to a single mother or father who has a small child with them-they are soooo glad to talk to another adult.

So don't think that being "solo" in the parks means that you will be by yourself. You will find that the Disney spirit prevails and you will make lots of new aquaintances.

I agree. You can definitely enjoy yourself alone. Just think, if you see something that interests you, you can stay as long as you want with no one to tug at your sleeve to pull you away. Conversely, if something doesn't interest you, you can turn and leave without being encouraged ("just a few more minutes") to stay. Eight hours is quite doable alone, and I don't know a hotel at Disney that I would hesitate to stay at alone. My only room requirement when I'm solo is that the room not be first floor. Have fun-I'm sure you will!

If you're looking for people to tell you that you should go, you came to the right place! The one thing I would have trouble with is the table-service dining. But, there is so much food to try at the Food & Wine Fest that I can't imagine having an appetite (or money) left for an actual meal!

I drove down 10 hrs from the New Orleans area several times by myself. No biggie. Driving is another fun thing to do solo since you have complete control over pit stops, music, and singing as loud as you want :). I usually arrive to my destination quite hoarse though.

Hi DocRafiki

You sound like you have just as much fun geting to your destination as you do once you have arrived.

How was your trip? Where did you stay? Did you enjoy yourself as much as I think you did? Was the weather OK?

I've been watching the weather since I will be there in one more week.

Originally posted by Kermit_da_Frog
Heya all,

I was supposed to go to Disney next week from October 23-28 with a friend. Unfortunately she dropped out on me and now I am left to decide whether or not I should go solo.

Yes!
Absolutely!
Without a doubt!

I've done so much driving by myself that I really don't mind it at all. I'm like DocRafiki in that I like the freedom of stopping when I want, as often or as seldom as I want and just generally keeping my own schedule. If I want to drive until 2 AM rather than stop, there isn't anyone else to worry about.

As to Disney solo, there are so many advantages that I don't understand why more people don't go solo. I just don't think that they have tried it to find out.

I like to eat at the sitdowns even though I'm by myself. I don't do it every meal but do pick one or more nights for a nice sitdown meal. Canada is a great place. If you haven't done it before, you might want to take something to occupy your time between ordering and eating, a book, etc. I just like to watch people and talk to the servers. If you want company for dinner, check out the October Dining Central. See if others are interested in sharing a meal with you. I live about 30 minutes from Disney and will be there for about half of your trip. If you want a dinner companion, PM or email me. There are buttons right below this reply that say "pm" and "email". Just click on one and send me a message. I'll be back in town on the 25th.

Take the chance, go ahead and go solo. You'll have a great time!

Hi Kermit and welcome to the DIS. I'd go solo :) I love my solo trips and I've enjoyed sitdown meals as a solo and even character buffets as a solo. I enjoyed myself immensely.

As far as driving 8 hours solo, I drive to Houston from Michigan by myself several times a year and spend at least 10 hours on the road each day. I love it. Like Doc says, I can choose the music (or no music) and stop when I want to stop, it's really very relaxing for me.

I hope you decide to go solo, I think you will be glad if you do :) Touring the parks alone is one of my favorite things to do :)

Definitely - solo trip can be great - as has been said - no one else to say that they are tired of this and what do you want to do that for - etc.

I would be solo on this next trip - but Mother's birthday is then so I will bring her - when I am going to the Dis Conv I will be solo.

Have Fun!

Without a doubt, go solo!!!!!!!!!! WDW is the best place for solo travelers. As others have said you can do what you want, when you want for as long or as little as you want, you will meet plenty of other people that are very fun and interesting to talk to and you are going at a very good time. The food and wine festival is great and you will meet plenty of other people plus get to try a lot of great foods and wines. Also there are wine seminars that are very informative and a good place to meet others and also the behind the scene tours that WDW offers are wonderful for solos. Enjoy!!

Originally posted by rickc77
Hi DocRafiki

How was your trip? Where did you stay? Did you enjoy yourself as much as I think you did? Was the weather OK?

I've been watching the weather since I will be there in one more week.

I wrote a little about my trip on my thread. You even replied to it, silly! It was pretty fun for what it was. I was really in town for an interview but was able to stop by Disney. I stayed with my cousin who is also in town for a temp job/interview. He's at a nasty extended stay place on OBT. Oh well, we survived!

The weather was a little hot, but we've gotten a cool front since then (70's). The weather is so gorgeous right now that it just makes you want to run around naked!!! ;) PERFECT Disney weather, and it is just making me feel so alive! I think it's supposed to get warm again next week, but hey it's still gorgeous down here!!!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by DocRafiki

The weather is so gorgeous right now that it just makes you want to run around naked!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well let me see.......I should be flying in first thing on Thursday morning *24 oct*.....if the weather continues to be the same "gorgeous" and I see someone running naked through the park.....can I just say "Hi Doc"? (lol)

Glad to hear you had a good trip even though it sounds like it was a short one.

hmmm... maybe i'll keep the naked romping to a field or the beach at night. I wouldn't want to ruin everyone else's enjoyment of the beautiful weather. LOL:o

I have been hearing so much about the great weather at Disney lately that I prey that it sticks around for a little bit more. Only 5 more days and I can final be at the parks.

Don't worry....nothing can ruin one's enjoyment of Disney and the fabulous weather that is there.

The same thing (almost) happened to me 3 years ago and I gave it a shot and went solo (after much encouragement from DH, DD and DS). Guess what? I had the best time--I could do whatever I wanted and I took advantage of that. I have gone each year solo ever since. We take 1 family trip and I take 1 solo trip and both are fabulous in their own way. Hubby is self employed, 2 kids are college grads and are working on their career's and I have been at the same job forever, so I am the one with the most vacation time. So I take advantage of it and visit the World solo. I must admit, though, that eating at a sit down dinner is very awkward for me. I stay at OKW and usually get take out from Olivia's (at Goods). I have tried it, but somehow it just doesn't work for me.

Go and have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smooth:

Hey all,

You guys have all been so wonderful with your responses! You had convinced me for sure to go and then I found out my company was able to go after all, so I won't be flying solo anymore.

Right now I am planning on doing the following:

Thursday: Islands of Adventure / Halloween Horror Nights
Friday: Sea World
Saturday: Epcot Food and Wine Festival
Sunday: Magic Kingdom & Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

Thanks so much again for your responses. I can't wait for Thursday!

Kermit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter