Should I go to Disneyland Resort in 2018 or wait for Star Wars Land?

I think the ages of your traveling companions (like kids) would influence that, and if you plan to go again in the near future. Looking at your sig, I'd wait until late 2019 since it doesn't look like you make it to the states often. But if the primary objective is to visit your sister, go in 2018. Family first. :goodvibes

I would go in 2018. We just got back and even now the crowds can be rough. It's going to be a total disaster zone when SWL opens.

Totally agree. Why DL didn't do everything in their power to open a 3rd gate is a mystery. There's not enough room for the people now. When SWL opens, I'm not sure I want to be anywhere NEAR Disneyland.

We will go to WDW in 2018 and I'd love to plan a trip to DL in 2018, too, just to avoid the SWL crowds. I don't think we will be back at Disney until after 2019. I'll plan another trip when it looks like some of the craziness settles. I think it's going to be gnarly.

I'd do 2018. Star Wars Land will be a total madhouse after it opens. Hopefully the pressure will ease once WDW gets their Star Wars land up and running but still, I want NO part in that craziness... (Also, the parks will be more affordable if you go before Star Wars Land opens! I shudder when I think what tickets will cost after SWL comes...)

I'd do 2018. Star Wars Land will be a total madhouse after it opens. Hopefully the pressure will ease once WDW gets their Star Wars land up and running but still, I want NO part in that craziness... (Also, the parks will be more affordable if you go before Star Wars Land opens! I shudder when I think what tickets will cost after SWL comes...)
Ugh... So true. Thats pretty depressing actually

This thread has convinced me to bump Disneyland to the top of our summer 2018 vacation short list. We’ve never been to DLR, only WDW, and care about lower crowds more than we care about Star Wars Land. We went to WDW this year and I said we were only going to do Disney every other year, but I think this warrants an exception. We also have friends who just moved to the San Diego area, so we could visit them as well while we are “out West.” :)

Now I have a lot of reading to do since I know a whole lot about WDW and very little about DLR!

We decided to buy AP's (once in a lifetime for AP's) in July of this year. It is going to be our year of Disney. Then we'll wait until a year or two after star wars land opens to go back. We don't handle insane crowds very well. :-)

While Disney World is Grand and totally immersive, Disneyland is magical and special and has a much different feel to it. Any opportunity to go should be taken and the chance to walk where Walt did is a very special experience. Go now because once Star Wars opens, it's going to be chaotic at Disneyland and will probably reach capacity quite often during the first year or so. Also, I don't think you would even be asking this question if you were a big Star Wars fan, so go ahead and go now before the mayhem begins!

We decided to buy AP's (once in a lifetime for AP's) in July of this year. It is going to be our year of Disney. Then we'll wait until a year or two after star wars land opens to go back. We don't handle insane crowds very well. :-)
We're coming to the end of our own year of Disney, I hope yours will be as enjoyable as ours has been.

We plan on embracing the madness and doing AP's again in 2019, but I completely understand why others are planning on staying away for awhile, I think it is going to be nuts.

What's the anticipated opening on Star Wars Land? I'm going in June this year and thought about getting a pass then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter