Should of went with Fedex (Canadian)

CoensFamily2009

Earning My Ears
We're Canadian, closing on a SS contract. Everything has gone smoothly we've tried to be as on the ball as possible and our sellers have been doing things day of as well. Well the day we got the closing documents we get the cheque and get it mailed off but we went to the post office next door to the bank. Canada Post. They offer 1-3 day U.S. Parcel delivery for a decent price. We mailed it away and paid extra for the signature. Friday we got updated from the title company the sellers had their documents sent in and they were just awaiting the cheque. I told them Monday at the latest because that is the latest it should of been there. It took them almost 48 hours for the to get it to U.S. Customs. You can see the U.S. from the Store. (I know they go to collection centers first). Go to FedEx. Its not worth the aggravation.

We're Canadian, closing on a SS contract. Everything has gone smoothly we've tried to be as on the ball as possible and our sellers have been doing things day of as well. Well the day we got the closing documents we get the cheque and get it mailed off but we went to the post office next door to the bank. Canada Post. They offer 1-3 day U.S. Parcel delivery for a decent price. We mailed it away and paid extra for the signature. Friday we got updated from the title company the sellers had their documents sent in and they were just awaiting the cheque. I told them Monday at the latest because that is the latest it should of been there. It took them almost 48 hours for the to get it to U.S. Customs. You can see the U.S. from the Store. (I know they go to collection centers first). Go to FedEx. Its not worth the aggravation.

Yes, very similar situation happened to us a few months ago. Except it wasn't the check (we wired the money), it was the signed closing docks. We are in the US. I almost sent them fedex. I was on my there actually, but had to do another errand near the US post office. Unfortnately, I sent the docs priority mail. I do not have a lot of experience with priority mail, or any experience, because we usually send everything fedex ground. There was no price difference, and they both have tracking, so I assumed it would be fine. THEY LOST IT. And the really crazy thing is that they did not care. I had to file a form to get them to even look into it. Insanely bureaucratic process and it took them forever to get back with me in between each "question." Well, the minute I realized I would have to fill out some form for them to even look into it, I sent another copy via fedex. I will never again use the post office for anything unless I have to. I am so, so grateful that we wired that money. Can you imagine?

Yes, we wired our money through TD both times. Almost immediately got email confirmation from the title companies. I’m too neurotically anxious to send that amount via cheque :o

Yes, very similar situation happened to us a few months ago. Except it wasn't the check (we wired the money), it was the signed closing docks. We are in the US. I almost sent them fedex. I was on my there actually, but had to do another errand near the US post office. Unfortnately, I sent the docs priority mail. I do not have a lot of experience with priority mail, or any experience, because we usually send everything fedex ground. There was no price difference, and they both have tracking, so I assumed it would be fine. THEY LOST IT. And the really crazy thing is that they did not care. I had to file a form to get them to even look into it. Insanely bureaucratic process and it took them forever to get back with me in between each "question." Well, the minute I realized I would have to fill out some form for them to even look into it, I sent another copy via fedex. I will never again use the post office for anything unless I have to. I am so, so grateful that we wired that money. Can you imagine?
It has a bank draft for 20k+ USD in it.

Thanks for this PSA - we are Canadians in the process of buying resale. We will bank wire any money and send any documents via FedEx to be safe.

We were able to electronically sign the contract but had to print out, sign and send the original closing docs to the title co. We were scared about wiring the money and only ended up doing it because it was faster. Our main bank does not have a local branch-- hard to get a cashier's check. But we verified the wiring information over the phone with the title co and made sure that the phone number we were calling was correct with the broker. Apparently there is a lot of fraud in this real estate area with scammers hacking into the title co email and sending customers emails from the actual title co email with fake wiring instructions. Convoluted but scary. So just confirm the instructions and make sure you are confirming with the actual title co.

Same here with the closing documents, except in my case, Canada Post didn't even give my package to the courier. I was told after a search it was still in the store. I collected it and went to Fedex, then I demanded my money back from Canada Post. They sent me a cheque.

USPS isn't any better. I recall sending in my closing papers and check via USPS - same as you - tracking with a signature. For me it was scheduled to arrive on a thursday - I kept checking the tracking and it didn't seem to be moving, kept checking and still nothing. The timeshare store said they received everything and the closing could happen. Even a few days after they told me they received it USPS tracking still had the package as not being delivered yet. Stressful when so much is on the line. Lessoned learned - use anyone but USPS

I just sent in our payment for a contract - RBC talked me out of sending a wire so I sent a draft via Xpresspost USA (also the recommendation from RBC).

I only used the bank as my previous wire via Transferwise was returned undeliverable - hopefully things wind up OK. If I'd seen this post first it would have gone via FedEx or UPS....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter