Should we all meet in November of 2007?

Mama Twinkles

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
A few of us on the "Introduce Yourselves" thread have been discussing the possibility of a meet for GLBT DIS-ers and Cool Straight Persons in late November of 2007. It would be vastly tinier than Gay Days in June, and would take advantage of cooler weather, lighter crowds, holiday decorations and plenty of time to save money and clear schedules. We would basically be looking at the week of November 25 (right after T'Giving and 2 or 3 weeks before Mousefest).

So the questions are: Any objections to the idea? Would you be interested in participating? What should the activities be?

Please see the aforementioned discussion ("Introduce Yourselves" thread) starting on about page 4 for ideas already offered re: activities and outfits!

Why are we waiting until 2007? I understand those with kids might have a harder time planning 6 months out, but for most others that should not be that hard. First weekend in December is usually a slow time at Disney and great rates and airfares are usually available.

/carmi

I also love the early month of December.

It is a lower points season for the DVC Clubs.

There are Christmas Lights and Christmas Shows going on.

I prefer to keep away from the adjacent weekend after Thanksgiving.

I keep thinking the 2nd Saturday of December would make for a Mini Gay Day kind of thing, or a DISBOARDS Meet.

The only sad thing is that it is also the most popular time for DVC members to use their points.

I wonder if we could get the Swan and Dolphin to go BETTER than the normal Disboards Special for us ?

Well, it just seemed that a lot of people already had trips planned for various times in '06, meaning not all would have the option of participating in a larger meet this year. So the '07 suggestion was an effort to make the event theoretically available to all. But perhaps that is too long to wait. Either way, there are smaller-meet options in December because a number of folks will be there then. There's a sticky at the top of the board about visits already planned.

What do others think? I could do December of this year, but am guessing many who might wish to participate could not. Then again, we could plan more than one of these events.

Ooooh, yeah, yeah, yeah... December is cool! We're going December 1st - 10th this year and were planning on September next year.. not sure if I can wait a full 12 months after this trip, although I've had to wait 5 years since we were last in WDW! Made a fatal mistake in 2003, we went to Vegas, DP's first time and she fell in love with the place, hence, no WDW trips since 2001 - the bright lights dazzled her!

Phil, I agree that December is lovely and less expensive, but also that it is now very popular among regulars. After T-day seems to be quiet still, according to what I've read. It hasn't caught on as much. So that was the reasoning there. I didn't really want to be there with all the Mousefesters (just crowd-wise) and DVC-ers and other insiders who have grabbed the hotels and other reservations. But I'm flexible and not really sure what would be best for the most people.

I'd vote for the week following Thanksgiving weekend. We went during that time last year and it was great. The weather was beautiful and we were able to walk on all the attractions with very little wait, if any. :thumbsup2

However this year, we are doing an Olivia cruise in September, so funds may be too low for a trip that soon after :rolleyes2

We have plans already to go the week of October 28, 2007. We don't have it all nailed down yet, but since I will be 40 on that Friday, I definately want to be in the land of pixie dust on that day. I would love to meet you guys, but I promised Gabby that the next WDW vacation would be all about us and relaxing. Our last trip was more of an exhausting marathon than either of us would have liked. The trip was forced into being too busy because her family & friends were invited to join us one night and then invite themselves along for our last day. If she isn't going to invite her friends & family along, I doubt that I could convince her to let me work in a meeting with a group of DISfamily. Maybe in 2010, when you guys have all the kinks worked out.

BTW...I doubt that anyone that organizes MouseFest would mind if you asked for a RainbowConnection Event that you independently organize to be a part of the big event for the GLBT and straight, but not narrow community. Just a thought. Maggie

We could think about the week after Thanksgiving 07 - before that we have the August 06 anniversary trip, a cruise in March 07, and a possible graduation trip for our daughter June 06.

We like the first week in December but as folk who adore lower crowds and higher temperatures, the week after Thanksgiving might be just the ticket.

Hi MICKEYSAVER

("MICKEYSAVER" is a very cool nickname.
It reminds me of one of my favorite sites MOUSESAVERS).

I guess the only time I am afraid to book a trip to Disneyworld, is September and October.

After Thanksgiving sounds good actually.

Now I am craving Turkey, Stuffing, and Cranberries unfortunately.

Everyone is making great points and suggestions. I am uncomfortable making a decision for the group as a whole as to the date(s). Should we submit it to a vote, ask fearless leaders Rick and Viki whether they'd be willing to decide, or discuss it further until one of us has the gumption just to declare the dates? Consensus will not be possible, so ultimately someone (or the majority) has to decide, but I feel utterly unqualified to be the one.

Mama Twinkles said:
Everyone is making great points and suggestions. I am uncomfortable making a decision for the group as a whole as to the date(s). Should we submit it to a vote, ask fearless leaders Rick and Viki whether they'd be willing to decide, or discuss it further until one of us has the gumption just to declare the dates? Consensus will not be possible, so ultimately someone (or the majority) has to decide, but I feel utterly unqualified to be the one.

LOL! I, for one, have never been accused of lacking gumption and I'm all for the post-Thanksgiving 07 date. But, on the other hand, it might be fun to take a poll, offering a few possibilities, maybe one sooner, and a couple others at different times. Since you got us started, Mama, why don't you set it up?

Viki said:
LOL! I, for one, have never been accused of lacking gumption and I'm all for the post-Thanksgiving 07 date. But, on the other hand, it might be fun to take a poll, offering a few possibilities, maybe one sooner, and a couple others at different times. Since you got us started, Mama, why don't you set it up?

Thanks for offering use of your gumption if needed, Viki! I set up the poll as requested. Glad to hear from all the recent posters who hope to attend!

PHILCT said:
Hi MICKEYSAVER

("MICKEYSAVER" is a very cool nickname.
It reminds me of one of my favorite sites MOUSESAVERS).

Hey Phil! Thanks for the compliment. I created the name only because at the time that I was planning our first trip to WDW, I was saving money in any way possible....including doing lots of mostly now-defunct rewards sites. Most of those old sites generated lots of SPAM, so I created MickeySaver as a separate AOL account to because I was Saving for Mickey. It had nothing to do with MouseSavers....I found that site after the fact...and it's a great site. Maggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter