Should We Tolerate People Who Disrespect Disney's Rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knux897

Earning My Ears
Just came back from Disney Springs' reopening today, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section of the forum to post on, but I think it leads to a broader discussion about people acting problematic amidst the pandemic once the parks reopen.

Essentially, my girlfriend and I were curious to go to Disney Springs and see how things were handled. We arrived in the Orange parking garage and were greeted by cast members and health officials. It was great to see that despite being promoted, Josh D'amaro was still there greeting guests and the people taking temperature screenings were employs of Advent Health, rather than Disney cast members. A number of social distancing measures were put into place, but it very much seems to be a "learn as they go" type situation. Initially for open restaurants such as Chicken Guy, there were very long lines and not enough markers to keep proper distancing. People followed the markers when they got to them, but hardly did so when the markers were not present. Walking around, we decided to go eat at Earl of Sandwich, assuming that because it was in the back of Disney Springs, that it would likely be less crowded. This was not the case, but we decided to wait anyways.

This essentially is where the problem started. We were waiting in line, maintaining a respectful distance from others, when a woman and her party walked up behind us. Her kids went off the find a table and she and her husband decided it was necessary, amongst a pandemic and clear social guidelines, to stand only a few inches behind us. When we turned around and asked her to back up, she got angry and defensive, muttering along the lines of "this is ridiculous" and "there's no tape anyways" to her husband. When a Disney cast member nearby came to ask her how she was doing, she replied "good, not great" in a poor attempt to gain sympathy for her self-induced victimization. I don't recall the exact words of the cast member or the conversation she had with the woman, but it was done in a passive-aggressive but just nice enough to meet Disney standards tone.

Another issue we experienced, came not just from the woman, but a few others as well. Because dining is at limited capacity, there are of course fewer tables available. Since there was a long line and fewer tables, capacity was filling up quickly, and it's extremely unfair for the people who were waiting in line first, not to be able to get a table because others decided to take one before even getting into line. During normal park operations, this happens all the time and isn't really a big deal because capacity usually is just fine, but here it could potentially be problematic for those who arrived first. Granted, once we left, we could see that the line wasn't nearly as long, and that the initial crowds we saw likely won't be as large over the coming days, but the issue of people's lack of consideration still stands.

I think that if issues like this are present on opening day of Disney Springs, how will parks look once they reopen? Will we see a "one warning and then you're out" policy like Costco, or will Disney be more lenient to "preserve" the guest experience? Often times, disruptive people are not confronted because it is more effort than it is worth, but will this change during the pandemic? Can people who flagrantly skirt the rules and cause unnecessary issues really be tolerated? I think it will be interesting to see once things start to resume.

I suppose that the only thing that you can control in this situation is yourself. Surely anyone truly concerned about being infected would have removed themselves from the queue? You remove yourself from danger.
If you don’t consider that the risk is sufficient to cause you to remove yourself from any given situation, then that is your answer, isn’t it?

I think it will be difficult to enforce certain guidelines. I can see a cast member approaching a pandemic abuser but they will only go so far with trying to get them to comply.

Unfortunately, children will have the hardest time to comply. This will have to be handled with kid gloves.

We have to remember there aren't written laws about not complying with the guidelines and the ramifications for not complying.

I could see a few instances of violent outbreaks for not following the guidelines. I don't want that to happen but it could occur.

Personally, I will not be rushing to go. It will be a wait and see for me. I don't want to be a guinea pig,

Last edited:
I think it will be interesting, as well. I'm sorry you had to deal with the rudeness. Unfortunately I think it's going to cause a lot of problems as they decide how strict they're going to be with enforcing their guidelines. The problem with them being passive about not enforcing it is that others will start to follow. Rules aren't rules if there aren't consequences. And most people don't want to wear a mask - so if it's not enforced, they won't.

I think what's most disappointing about this entire situation is the selfishness of it all. Just do your part, people. Wear a mask. Stand 6 feet apart. I don't really care how you personally feel about it or what Karen on Facebook said or what government conspiracies you believe in. I get that these strategies aren't 100% effective. But even if they're 10% effective, isn't that worth it? You really can't make these small sacrifices to potentially keep someone else safe? I get that you don't want to wear a mask. I don't really want to wear one either. But I'm going to. Because whether or not you care how you affect my health, I care how I affect yours. I just wish more people felt that way.

I suppose that the only thing that you can control in this situation is yourself. Surely anyone truly concerned about being infected would have removed themselves from the queue? You remove yourself from danger.
If you don’t consider that the risk is sufficient to cause you to remove yourself from any given situation, then that is your answer, isn’t it?

The issue isn't that I'm concerned with being infected. The issue is how flagrantly people flaunt the rules and whether we really should tolerate it.

I think it's pretty terrible that they didn't have enough stickers down for the crowds. Of course people aren't going to stand 6 feet away unless a sticker tells them to, that would be expecting too much of the average person. Disney should be anticipating this though, especially for opening. How much could a sticker cost? $10???

Edit: All that to say if I couldn't get someone to get 6 feet away from me then I would make sure I am 6 feet away from them. No sandwich is worth the risk, even if he is an earl. I've also been steamrollered by people in Target coming right up next to me while I'm shopping. It sucks but clearly they aren't worried about this pandemic, all the more reason to give them a wide berth. As has been said you can only expect to control yourself, especially in situations that bring such a mix of people.

I think it's pretty terrible that they didn't have enough stickers down for the crowds. Of course people aren't going to stand 6 feet away unless a sticker tells them to, that would be expecting too much of the average person. Disney should be anticipating this though, especially for opening. How much could a sticker cost? $10???

Edit: All that to say if I couldn't get someone to get 6 feet away from me then I would make sure I am 6 feet away from them. No sandwich is worth the risk, even if he is an earl. I've also been steamrollered by people in Target coming right up next to me while I'm shopping. It sucks but clearly they aren't worried about this pandemic, all the more reason to give them a wide berth. As has been said you can only expect to control yourself, especially in situations that bring such a mix of people.
I think the problem is that they can have stickers down for a number of patrons but if the line gets really long how far should it go? Then you have long lines for one business heading over to where another business has its line with stickers. Before you know it there is a spider's web of stickers.

How much could a sticker cost? $10???

It's one banana, Michael!

Jokes aside it does suck that people are selfish and can't just at minimum stay away from others. It really blows my mind how NOT being within 3 inches of a total stranger is too much for some people, in fact it's downright creepy how close they feel the need to get for no reason. My expectation would be CMs are observing lines and when they see this behavior give a gentle reminder for that family to back up a bit - they don't need to get aggressive or yell, a simple "Hey can you guys take two big steps back so we can maintain social distance?" should be enough.

You can't fix stupid. My son is in medical and has to work all day with patients wearing a mask and pray he doesn't become infected - so far he tests negative. My nephew also in medical now bunks with other physicians at the hospital so he doesn't bring it home to his wife and two babies. I'm amazed at people who walk right near me during senior hour at the supermarket and we are the only ones in a one way aisle! It happens every single week. I think it takes a long time to change habits and some people will continue to be selfish. Maybe a little speech about social distancing along with the temperature taking might be helpful. First day, it is a new normal and Disney will have to figure it out.

The issue isn't that I'm concerned with being infected. The issue is how flagrantly people flaunt the rules and whether we really should tolerate it.
If you are not concerned about social distances rules due to the risk of infection then aren’t you expecting CMs to merely be jobsworths?

I saw these photos on FB. It’s cool to see what WDW is doing to make it safer. Then I noticed that the travel agent in the photo wasn’t wearing her mask correctly essentially setting a bad example for everyone that goes to WDW and doesn’t want to wear a mask for whatever reason. I wear my mask to protect others and myself. I won’t be going to WDW until there’s a vaccine because breathing is difficult enough being asthmatic, but add the heat and humidity, I cannot imagine how miserable it would be to try to breathe in WDW. For those insisting on going now, I’m sorry but they need to wear the mask and practice social distancing. Disney needs to be firm and enforce the rules. Period. B2A47115-3228-4F93-8BB6-84244458899F.jpeg179E840B-7E62-469B-AE57-B03D945417AA.jpegBED685E7-ED9A-4E6C-B90E-5DFC6509EE8D.jpeg9E68B5F0-7DE3-4DA4-8A5E-811A5BFDEB85.jpeg

This is the way I started handling rude - I'm not following the rules, people --- I saw this advice recently - just give a few coughs inside your mask while also looking down and covering your face. This has worked the few times I tried it when someone wouldn't quit trying to crowd me in the stores. It was a last resort - I will not confront people, too dangerous.

I saw these photos on FB. It’s cool to see what WDW is doing to make it safer. Then I noticed that the travel agent in the photo wasn’t wearing her mask correctly essentially setting a bad example for everyone that goes to WDW and doesn’t want to wear a mask for whatever reason. I wear my mask to protect others and myself. I won’t be going to WDW until there’s a vaccine because breathing is difficult enough being asthmatic, but add the heat and humidity, I cannot imagine how miserable it would be to try to breathe in WDW. For those insisting on going now, I’m sorry but they need to wear the mask and practice social distancing. Disney needs to be firm and enforce the rules. Period. View attachment 495867View attachment 495868View attachment 495869View attachment 495870
It's funny. She looks so excited and proud, yet not wearing her mask correctly, it's like she's giving WDW the finger. I love how the CM is in the photo with her. At least he has his mask on safely.

This is the way I started handling rude - I'm not following the rules, people --- I saw this advice recently - just give a few coughs inside your mask while also looking down and covering your face. This has worked the few times I tried it when someone wouldn't quit trying to crowd me in the stores. It was a last resort - I will not confront people, too dangerous.

Amazing how they're not concerned enough to stay 6ft away but the second you start coughing suddenly they're not so brave :ssst:

What can you do about someone else? you can only control your behavior. If you feel like you won't be able to let the cast members direct people then maybe it is not the right time for you to go in to the parks.

They are Disney's rules not yours and it would not make a situation better if you confront someone.

If you do visit the parks then go in with the mindset that there are going to be some people who are going to not follow each guideline. That way, you will be pleasantly surprised if they do.

This is unfortunately just a new variation of an old theme. Plenty of folks think the rules exist for everyone but them. Selfishness folks who think that they "deserve" everything to be just how they want it will often do exactly as they wish even if it means disregarding rules or even just basic manners.

I'm sorry you had to deal with selfish people today.

We have stickers all over our grocery store. People still crowd together. I also think at this point many people are just done with masks and social distancing. I just figure people will maintain what they consider to be safe. (our state parks have been overrun lately due to some beautiful weather and cops can't arrest anyone, but they can give you a fine. Seriously how can you fine a large group?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter