Should We Tolerate People Who Disrespect Disney's Rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose that the only thing that you can control in this situation is yourself. Surely anyone truly concerned about being infected would have removed themselves from the queue? You remove yourself from danger.
If you don’t consider that the risk is sufficient to cause you to remove yourself from any given situation, then that is your answer, isn’t it?
I am very conflicted here- I feel I am safe going out again when people follow the rules. I feel reasonably safe driving because I know there are laws in place to stop people who are speeding and driving recklessly. I know driving is a risk, but I am willing to take it because of safety measures in place. I won't stop driving because some people are breaking the law. I know this socially distancing thing is not the same, but it seems like we should not have to adjust our lives around other people breaking the rules.

I suppose that the only thing that you can control in this situation is yourself. Surely anyone truly concerned about being infected would have removed themselves from the queue? You remove yourself from danger.
If you don’t consider that the risk is sufficient to cause you to remove yourself from any given situation, then that is your answer, isn’t it?

So people who are following the guidelines should suffer (get out of line) because others blatantly refuse to follow them ? Lack of stickers on the ground is no excuse, the 6ft distancing is almost plastered everywhere these days. The OP did the right thing in telling them to back off and follow the guidelines.

The Universal boards have indicated most people are following the guidelines at Citywalk... wonder if there is a difference in the attitude of the Disney Springs crowd. Maybe this is just an isolated incident, but there is defiantly an undercurrent of people who have said they don't think the virus is dangerous and hinted that they'll do what they want because parks can't enforce the guidelines. This isn't just here, but across other theme park sites. Going to interesting to see how things play out with enforcement.

I am very conflicted here- I feel I am safe going out again when people follow the rules. I feel reasonably safe driving because I know there are laws in place to stop people who are speeding and driving recklessly. I know driving is a risk, but I am willing to take it because of safety measures in place. I won't stop driving because some people are breaking the law. I know this socially distancing thing is not the same, but it seems like we should not have to adjust our lives around other people breaking the rules.
I understand this viewpoint but if you were driving and you could see a car driver nearby behaving erratically, recklessly, wouldn’t your immediate reaction to take yourself out of harms way? And the OP has said that the issue isn’t the risk of infection, which skews the discussion somewhat.

I understand this viewpoint but if you were driving and you could see a car driver nearby behaving erratically, recklessly, wouldn’t your immediate reaction to take yourself out of harms way? And the OP has said that the issue isn’t the risk of infection, which skews the discussion somewhat.
Like I said I am conflicted-I would of course slow down, but I wouldn't turn around and go home. I hope CM's become better at gaging situations, like it appears ultimately did happen here. But would I get out of a queue I had been waiting in because someone was encroaching on our space? I don't think that would be fair to me at all. I suppose I would feel if they did have on masks, and we just kept on facing forward and didn't turn around (which I probably would not do anyway!) we would be okay. But I would expect a CM to remind them of the rules once they saw it, just like I would expect a law officer to stop someone driving recklessly.

So people who are following the guidelines should suffer (get out of line) because others blatantly refuse to follow them ?
Upon first reading the OP, I presumed, that the concern was the risk of infection due to the failure of others to follow social distancing rules, which is why my initial response was to suggest removing oneself from the situation, but the OP later clarified that the issue is not risk of infection but merely not obeying rules. That is a completely different topic and nothing to do with Covid; it is akin to challenging someone who queue jumps for example.

I think it will be interesting, as well. I'm sorry you had to deal with the rudeness. Unfortunately I think it's going to cause a lot of problems as they decide how strict they're going to be with enforcing their guidelines. The problem with them being passive about not enforcing it is that others will start to follow. Rules aren't rules if there aren't consequences. And most people don't want to wear a mask - so if it's not enforced, they won't.

I think what's most disappointing about this entire situation is the selfishness of it all. Just do your part, people. Wear a mask. Stand 6 feet apart. I don't really care how you personally feel about it or what Karen on Facebook said or what government conspiracies you believe in. I get that these strategies aren't 100% effective. But even if they're 10% effective, isn't that worth it? You really can't make these small sacrifices to potentially keep someone else safe? I get that you don't want to wear a mask. I don't really want to wear one either. But I'm going to. Because whether or not you care how you affect my health, I care how I affect yours. I just wish more people felt that way.

It's all ME ME ME, self entitlement and "I don't give a **** what anyone thinks"
I agree wholeheartedly with your response.

We shouldn't have to adjust our lives around other people breaking rules, but as unfair as it seems, it is reality. We have to protect ourselves and our family.

Upon first reading the OP, I presumed, that the concern was the risk of infection due to the failure of others to follow social distancing rules, which is why my initial response was to suggest removing oneself from the situation, but the OP later clarified that the issue is not risk of infection but merely not obeying rules. That is a completely different topic and nothing to do with Covid; it is akin to challenging someone who queue jumps for example.
The thing is that if someone queue jumps, what is the worst thing that will happen?

If people can't be unselfish enough to do whatever it takes to follow the rules in order to prevent the spread of Covid19, it will result in more deaths...exponentially. The stakes are much higher now.

The thing is that if someone queue jumps, what is the worst thing that will happen?

If people can't be unselfish enough to do whatever it takes to follow the rules in order to prevent the spread of Covid19, it will result in more deaths...exponentially. The stakes are much higher now.
The sad thing is that others' deaths is not a good enough reason to wear masks and socially distance. I will never understand how some people think.

People are going to be people... if your that concerned that someone might stand too close to you then don’t go to somewhere that’s meant to be crowded...people are trying to adjust, and day one of reopening the springs we need you to be the Disney Police?

The issue isn't that I'm concerned with being infected. The issue is how flagrantly people flaunt the rules and whether we really should tolerate it.
As gratifying as the authoritarian types might find it to see CMs barking orders and criticisms at guests who are less meticulous, that just isn't how WDW CMs behave. If a person can't tolerate that, then they shouldn't go to Disney World. They'll spend the whole time being frustrated watching other people making minor infractions without being punished. Doesn't sound very magical to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter