Should we Uber or rent a car for Christmas Week off-site stay?

DrFacilier

DIS Veteran
First time staying this week and know that off-site will be less convenient due to traffic. I'm assuming Uber will be easier because the drivers (should) know how to navigate the roads better than us and can drop us off instead of us finding parking, using the tram etc. Is this a correct assumption? Is there an advantage to renting a car this week?

Have you priced out both options? That's ultimately the best way to make a decision about which will be better.

Have you priced out both options? That's ultimately the best way to make a decision about which will be better.
I have run some preliminary numbers and it looks like Uber/ Lyft will cost a little more. Happy to pay a little more to ride-share if if it is a better way to go.

we Ubered a lot during Labor Day week and we were staying at the GF. It was just so convenient for us to spend $10 and not have to wait longer than 3-5 minutes. They would drop us off way closer than parking a rental car, even closer than the bus would for HS. I mean time is money when staying at Disney.

At MK, Uber/Lyft will likely save some time because they can use the new flyover to bypass the parking toll booths, but during Christmas week in the morning there will still be some delays, as traffic into MK can back up all the way to Epcot or beyond. At the other parks, there aren't really any shortcuts, and Uber/Lyft have to wait in line to go thru the toll booths like everyone else. You will save the time of waiting for the parking trams and will be dropped off fairly close to the park entrances. DHS is a mystery, because there's no knowing what the parking lot and drop-offs will look like by December.

Be aware that Uber & Lyft adjust their fares depending on demand, so the amount you'd pay, especially at park closing on a full capacity day, might be significantly higher than what you might see now on the apps.

You would think they know how to navigate, but in reality that's not always the case. However, your point about not dealing with parking is true.

In my case while at a Conference in Chicago I used Lyft/Uber several times, then one morning the app was messed up and drivers couldn't find me. After the 3rd driver that couldn't figure out that I was standing right in front of the Sheraton I gave up and the Bell Hop flagged down a taxi. He had nothing against Uber, but as he put it the drivers don't live in Chicago, they come in from outside the city and that they really don't know the best way around town, they follow the navigation system, not common sense. We hoped in the cab and low and behold we arrived several minutes faster and our fare was cheaper. Lesson learned.

All that said I'd probably still use Uber/Lyft doing what you are doing, and you'll probably save $ vs dealing with rental fees, parking fees and gas.

At MK, Uber/Lyft will likely save some time because they can use the new flyover to bypass the parking toll booths, but during Christmas week in the morning there will still be some delays, as traffic into MK can back up all the way to Epcot or beyond. At the other parks, there aren't really any shortcuts, and Uber/Lyft have to wait in line to go thru the toll booths like everyone else. You will save the time of waiting for the parking trams and will be dropped off fairly close to the park entrances. DHS is a mystery, because there's no knowing what the parking lot and drop-offs will look like by December.

Be aware that Uber & Lyft adjust their fares depending on demand, so the amount you'd pay, especially at park closing on a full capacity day, might be significantly higher than what you might see now on the apps.
Ok. Thanks. I knew they charged more during peak hours but I just did a little research on their surge pricing and it sounds like it could get really expensive given the demand around Christmas. Now we are leaning towards a car...

We stayed offsite for the first time in June and didn't have any trouble finding our way around. We didn't bother with trams in the parking lot, it was faster to walk--however, we were always at the park before opening and parked in the first few rows anyway. We did take breaks mid-day some days and had to park further away when we returned, but still didn't mess with the trams.

Ok. Thanks. I knew they charged more during peak hours but I just did a little research on their surge pricing and it sounds like it could get really expensive given the demand around Christmas. Now we are leaning towards a car...
The pricing is no longer as simple as "surge" pricing (which Lyft calls "Prime Time"). Both companies now use "upfront pricing," which varies fares based on the enormous banks of data they have collected about demand from specific places to specific destinations during specific time periods. Frankly, it's a way for the companies to charge the rider more without paying the driver any extra. So even if you are not in one of the real peak periods where surge pricing might apply, your fare could be 10%, 20% higher just because of what the algorithm sees in the data.

I drive for Uber/Lyft in Miami, but to be honest, I would rent a car for an offsite stay rather than rideshare. I don't find the driving in the WDW area difficult, and having a car provides complete freedom to enjoy things like shopping or dining with much more variety, better quality, and lower prices than you will find onsite. That freedom and flexibility would be the selling point for me.

We found that staying off site and using Lyft/Uber would cost us $100 more then renting a car. Granted we are only planning on going to the park for 1 day this upcoming stay. We got a good deal with Dollar rental car company.

I drive for Uber/Lyft in Miami, but to be honest, I would rent a car for an offsite stay rather than rideshare. I don't find the driving in the WDW area difficult, and having a car provides complete freedom to enjoy things like shopping or dining with much more variety, better quality, and lower prices than you will find onsite. That freedom and flexibility would be the selling point for me.

Thanks for the insight. We are so used to the bubble that we hadn't even thought about dining outside of the world. Definitely leaning towards the rental now especially since we can get an AP discount from Alamo and free parking at the parks.

Thanks for the insight. We are so used to the bubble that we hadn't even thought about dining outside of the world. Definitely leaning towards the rental now especially since we can get an AP discount from Alamo and free parking at the parks.

If you see a price you can live with, go ahead and book it. But, be sure to check prices occasionally. Even during busy times, prices may still fluctuate...especially within a week of your trip.

I think it depends on how much shuttling/driving you expect to do and where you want to go. I would assume/budget $20 per trip for Uber/Lyft, so $40 round trip to the parks each day. Compare that to your rental car rate PLUS parking ($25/day I believe). So for just visiting the parks, I think Uber/Lyft would be cheaper. BUT, if you want to go out to eat (away from the parks), or sightseeing, or shopping, or anything like that, a rental car is better.

Also, if you Uber/Lyft, how do you plan to get to/from the airport? Factor that in.

I would probably get a rental car, but that's just me.

Even though we do enjoy the perk of Uber, I would go rental car if you have free hotel parking and an AP. We always stay on property, typically deluxe and I won't pay $25 a night to park the car. We give Disney enough money when we are there.

If you see a price you can live with, go ahead and book it. But, be sure to check prices occasionally. Even during busy times, prices may still fluctuate...especially within a week of your trip.
So if the price goes down and I have a reservation can I rebook at a lower price?

Also, a couple of Christmas week suggestions:
  • "Ice" at Gaylord Palms. You know those crazy Chinese ice carvers who create unbelievable ice sculptures? This is them, and it's amazing.
  • Celebration...the town of. Lots of really good restaurants, holiday decorations, SNOW, and even an outdoor ice rink! Cool place -- Columbia Restaurant for dinner, Kilwins for dessert!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!