Signs of Scrappers

No it's not a mistake, most of those sellers are getting their pins from China directly......
I have sold a few pins and pin sets on eBay, my listing say my pins are NOT scrappers and I do offer refunds (buyer to pay return shipping) if the buyer is not satisfied. I haven't sold many but the ones I've done have been just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to list your pins, list them at higher prices and make sure you say they are not scrappers in your listings, you'll get some hits.

Thanks. I listed some WDW lanyard pins that ended this past weekend. I did the .99 start since it was still free to list this way for the very last time before the new ebay rules start next week. Out of 90 pins 87 sold. I thought that was good. Yes, some went for .99, but lots of others higher. I think I helped alot of folks put together sets that had missing pins while providing some folks with some decent traders for their next visit to WDW. Not sure what to list next. So many pins I just don't know where to start. You gave me some good tips! thanks! I will offer refunds if they are not happy. Since all of my pins are before 2005, they should all be real, especially since I bought most of them myself. I use to do a little trading online too, but that was ages ago. I do think I will start grouping them together, since I was compulsive and had to have every pin in a series when buying them. Of course my DH working for the Disney catalog didn't help my addiction one bit either.

LOL I hear you on the addiction part.....when you've got more listed drop by and give us your eBay name, or PM me if you prefer. I'd be interested in seeing what you have up. I'm glad you had some good sales! :)

Since I know the CM's don't really take the time to know if they are trading a "scrapper" or not (for the most part), is it okay for me to hold the pin and look at it then give it back and say no thank you if I think it might be a scrapper?

Not to raise this from the dead, but...

My girlfriend just found out a pin we got from a CM is fake, she said the date on the pin doesn't match what it should, while it is disappointing, we are just going to keep it.

It isn't the end of the world for us.

I guess the point of my post is to say that CMs apparently do trade out fakes but unintentionally.

Most CM's don't know enough about pins to tell a real from a fake. Some do, I've seen many CM's put pins aside (and yes, even pins I've traded to them, that's how I found out about the whole scrapper thing) and when asked they've mentioned the pin might be a scrapper. It's heartening to know some CM's do know but the reality is many don't or just don't care.

Ah this is a very helpful list. I've been trying to figure out how to even tell if a pin is a scrapper, and now I can.

I found a pin on the ground in one of the parks in 2010 - a Jafar pin. I picked it up and kept it because it was cool. I don't collect and it just decorates my cube walls at work. Now that I have found DIS and read this I checked my pins and sure enough that Jafar is a scrapper - its sooo similar, but the Mickey shapes on the back don't go to the edge! It has a lip. The face art is just a tiny bit off in inspection too. Now I have something to compare to for the future.

Also explains why it was on the ground I imagine. Thanks for the info!

I've posted this before, but as a CM who pin trades, we aren't taught/told anything about scrappers. What I know I've learned from these boards.

Also, I don't replenish my pins each day. I start out with what's left over from the day before, so that strategy won't necessarily work.

I've also seen people suggest trading first thing in the morning, which isn't necessary either, since CMs come in for their shifts at all times of day. I work at night, so I usually start around 4-7 pm.

I understand that "scrappers" lower the value of legit pins but if it is truly about trading and collecting, does it really matter? I want to trade for fun, not for profit. If it has the stamp on the back, according to the rules of trading, a CM has to trade so they are not to blame. They are doing what they are told. Bottom line, there are fakes of everything out there and we need to decide... Are we trading for the fun of trading? OR are we trading to collect a complete set of genuine pins that are worth money? For me i trade for fun, if I like a pin and it is in good condition, I trade for it. I do not bring "scrappers" into the parks but some people do and what can you truly do about it.

I understand that "scrappers" lower the value of legit pins but if it is truly about trading and collecting, does it really matter? I want to trade for fun, not for profit. If it has the stamp on the back, according to the rules of trading, a CM has to trade so they are not to blame. They are doing what they are told. Bottom line, there are fakes of everything out there and we need to decide... Are we trading for the fun of trading? OR are we trading to collect a complete set of genuine pins that are worth money? For me i trade for fun, if I like a pin and it is in good condition, I trade for it. I do not bring "scrappers" into the parks but some people do and what can you truly do about it.

I totally agree, We got 2 pin starter kits for each child at disney.com, to start with for our up coming trip, They are excited about trading, it is fun, It's Disney, if my kids want to trade with a CM or board and they think it is cool, I am not going to sit there and obsess about it. If that pin that they pick is a scrapper oh well, it's a fun thing.

Am sad. I did not realize this was going on BEFORE I bought a load from EBAY. No I am wondering if any of them are Real or if they are all scrappers.

I totally agree, We got 2 pin starter kits for each child at disney.com, to start with for our up coming trip, They are excited about trading, it is fun, It's Disney, if my kids want to trade with a CM or board and they think it is cool, I am not going to sit there and obsess about it. If that pin that they pick is a scrapper oh well, it's a fun thing.

I don't appreciate paying higher prices for an item and getting a fake in return. So I attempt to get real pins at lower prices and I try to trade only for authentic pins. Of course it's difficult to do that and yes, we have hundreds of scrappers in our collection, but I do my best to not trade scrappers knowingly. I'm not obsessed about it, I just do what I can to avoid it.

Am sad. I did not realize this was going on BEFORE I bought a load from EBAY. No I am wondering if any of them are Real or if they are all scrappers.

Use the thread in my signature to help find a good seller that will have good pins. It's hard to say what you have without seeing them.

Use the thread in my signature to help find a good seller that will have good pins. It's hard to say what you have without seeing them.

Sadly I already bought them and can't spend anymore money on them. I will just have look for any obvious scrappers and try to remove them from my "trade able" collection. I hope I have a few legitimate ones to trade when I am done. i really don't want to pass on scrappers to others.
:crazy2:

I don't appreciate paying higher prices for an item and getting a fake in return. So I attempt to get real pins at lower prices and I try to trade only for authentic pins. .

I totally agree with this logic! I am just starting out but I'd be seriously annoyed if I traded my real pin for a fake. I am one of those ppl who would rather have a cheaper version of something similar than a fake anything. So I am the same w my pins. I also wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a fake pin trade, getting a real one in return for a fake. I'd feel bad, like I'd cheated someone... Ugh... Idk if I will continue w this it seems like a lot of guessing and work! We will see...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter